• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 vs. .338

jawa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2010
TX
How much further could you really reach out with the .338 than the .308?

Re: .308 vs. .338

Honestly if you have to ask then it matters not which one you get as you are the limiting factor of EACH.

SOOO much more goes into account of "really reaching" out there than the caliber choosen.

Thanks

As I figured I would get someone out there that would feel the need to boost their own ego as to everything they know, I was just asking specifications of the the caliber itself. Not the shooter...But whatever makes you feel better "Later".

Hey pal, you've got 5 posts. Nobody knows you, or your technical ability.

Based on your question, you don't know much.

I have a 308 that I feel comfortable hitting 20" steel at 1000yds with.

There are some that can take a 338 and hit that same steel at 1500yds as easily as I can hit at 1000.

The internet is HUGE and has volumes of information about each round and their capabilities. Even the most basic search here at the hide would turn up THOUSANDS of threads that would directly answer your question.

Eat your humble pie, and start reading.

Well after reading several threads from previous days, people have said that 800 meters is the limit to a .308, but then you have guys say that they are hitting 1200m all day. So I asked that question because I figured someone could give me some specifics to the .308 round. I know that there are guys with amazing talent on this site. I am new to 99% of all of this stuff.I wasnt insulting anyone with my question, I was told by other buddies that are on this site that it is a great place to further your knowledge without getting answers like that.

Depends... If you talking about a .308 Winchester vs. 338 lapua then .338 lap beats out .308win by about 500 meters. The Lapua can shoot a 250-grain bullet around 3000fps while a .308win shoots a 175gr projectile around 2600fps.(using factory ammo in both)Usually the heavier the bullet the farther it goes, and if you pack on more speed it flies a lot farther The U.S. Army states the Maximum effective range of the M24 sniper weapons system is 800 meters chambered in 7.62x51(.308 win). The same rifle chambered in 7.62x67(300 Win Mag) ups the Maximum effective range to about 1200 meters using the same diameter but heavier bullet. European armies claim that maximum range of the .338 lapua to be in the 1500-meter neighborhood using a 250gr Lapua Scenar. All three of these cartridges will shoot further under the right conditions, I am just trying to give you a comparison.

Its ALL RELATIVE.

Some people can make hits out to obscene ranges with a 308. Others can't.

Range is a relative argument.

DEFINE your range, and we can define which cartridge is a better choice.

OBVIOUSLY, a 338LM is going to achieve better results at LONGER ranges than a .308. I would have thought that a forgone conclusion.

There are many factors besides shooting skills that sets the limit for all calibers, bullet weight and load, barrel length and twist, ballistic coefficient of the bullet, air pressure, humidity and temperature to mention some. There's a wealth of info about it floating this forum, because of the great people that post here. There are different opinions and experiences, seeing as everyone has their own setup. For me my skills decide the limit for 308 as I'm not comfortable shooting past 800 yards yet, so I keep training until I am..

Thanks guys for all of the input, I didnt mean any disrespect to anyone. I have been reading a lot on this website for a some time now and the more I read the more confused I get sometimes. Like I said Im new to 99% of this and just trying to learn... Another question, to better understand bullet weight and load, barrel length and twist, ballistic coefficient of the bullet, air pressure, humidity, temperature and so forth. Should I start reading just about one caliber, say the .308 and learn as much as I can about that? Would that help my understandings of everything else that has to do with the marksmen world, without making it seem impossible to reach a decent level of knowledge to become a marksman?

Well since you decided to send me a PM then remove yourself from the PM I will reply here...

Knowledge is in the details in regards to everything in life, for example...

Your post says "You" and not the "Ammo"
You did not ask "Ballisticly Speaking" but instead asked "You"

So that being said it is all relative and nobody can provide you with the proper answer

If you have neither, and are looking to get into beyond 300M target shooting, I'd suggest starting with a 308 (I did). You'll get more trigger time to develop the art of the long shot.

Shooting a 338 at less than 300M seems a waste and I don't have ready access to 600 - 1500M (Have to go to Vermont). So I shoot 308 a lot more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much further could you really reach out with the .338 than the .308? </div></div>

How much faster is a Ferrari than a Camaro?

Now, i'm not trying to be a smart ass, but like someone said in an earlier post, if you have to ask that question, then you're probably not to familiar with your firearms. Just Sayin!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for all of the input, I didnt mean any disrespect to anyone. </div></div>

You don't owe anyone an apology.

People owe YOU an apology.

Yours was a fair question that should have been answered without attitude.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for all of the input, I didnt mean any disrespect to anyone. I have been reading a lot on this website for a some time now and the more I read the more confused I get sometimes. Like I said Im new to 99% of this and just trying to learn... Another question, to better understand bullet weight and load, barrel length and twist, ballistic coefficient of the bullet, air pressure, humidity, temperature and so forth. Should I start reading just about one caliber, say the .308 and learn as much as I can about that? Would that help my understandings of everything else that has to do with the marksmen world, without making it seem impossible to reach a decent level of knowledge to become a marksman? </div></div>

.308 will reach ya about 800 yards max.

.338 a good bit farther.

If you regard yourself a newbie, .308 has all you will need to do some serious long range shooting. I'd start there, and get yourself a gun, scope, and work you way into handloading.

Once you are proficient there, then you'll know whether .338 is for you, or not.

I've got prolly 10,000 rounds down range, and due to where I live, the available ranges, and the type of shooting I like to do, .308 has all I need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jick42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

How much faster is a Ferrari than a Camaro?
</div></div>

Who's driving the Camaro?

His question was fair, he didn't get a fair shake, way to take care of the new members.

jawa, there are lots of factors as many have mentioned, the rifle, the shooter, the ammo, etc. Long story short, I'd venture to say 600 to 800 yards is the delta.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 will reach ya about 800 yards max.</div></div>

Here we go again...

So you are one of the guys that thinks this then?:
308_traj-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.308 will reach ya about 800 yards max.</div></div>

Here we go again...

So you are one of the guys that thinks this then?:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/kombayotch/Firearms%20Stuff/308_traj-1.jpg </div></div>

That's pretty funny.

But no, that's not what I said, nor what I know to be true.

It is strong evidence that the internet often becomes little more than a Johnson measuring contest.

Just to throw my $2 into the ring...338 kicks like a mule and the only thing more expensive to shoot would be a .50BMG.
Now joking aside unless you or your Dept have DEEP pockets shooting .338 at range gets EXPENSIVE!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for all of the input, I didnt mean any disrespect to anyone. </div></div>

You don't owe anyone an apology.

People owe YOU an apology.

Yours was a fair question that should have been answered without attitude.

</div></div>

Totally agree with you. All to often there isn't newbie help here ..... "use the search function" is the blast. Each board has it's own personality - ARF; everyone is an operator. Here, most seem to be pretty good folk with some fleeting snippyness.

I figure if you aim high enough, you could get over that invisible .308 barrier to get more distance.

Thank you for all of your help guys, it really helps me figure out what I need to concentrate on. In the future I will better word my questions so we can avoid future battles of wit... haha

May I suggest that you start with a 223 or 308 if you are just getting into this and learn techniques. Those are MUCH cheaper to learn on and much easier on you also.

Do what I did about a year or so ago and buy the best rifle (in .308win) and optic you can afford. You want something with a half moa or better gaurantee. Then buy ammo/equipment to load your own ammo. Read as much as you can and shoot as much as you can afford.

With a quality rifle and quality ammo (I suggest starting with only factory stuff at first) you'll have a basis of equipment to build knowledge on. With quality equipment, you'll have a hard time blaming anything but yourself for a missed shot, and as a result you'll learn what works and what doesn't pretty quick.

Here's a pic with (2) .300WM hits and (1) .308 hit made at 1350yds this past summer. I made the .308 hit and danced a few others around the undersized steel target. So I'd say that a .308 will go a bit further than 800yds but obviously doesn't carry as much energy out there.

-X

longrangeshooting717090.jpg

longrangeshooting717090.jpg

Well, I shoot a Browning 25-06 for hunting and the range...for now. This was the first gun that I got a decade ago, but I've shot many guns, but never long range. I am going to buy a Rem 700 SPS .308, and I am going to use the scope that I currently use which is a Burris 4.5x14x40. I am going to have to slowly acquire the other goodies so as not to ruffle the wifes feathers... That was some beautiful land in the pic, I assume that was Kentucky?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a pic with (2) .300WM hits and (1) .308 hit made at 1350yds this past summer. I made the .308 hit and danced a few others around the undersized steel target. So I'd say that a .308 will go a bit further than 800yds but obviously doesn't carry as much energy out there.

-X

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/5962/longrangeshooting717090.jpg

</div></div>

Which ones the 308 hit? What hardness steel is that?

Jawa, that took place at a reclaimed mining area in southern West Virginia. Beautiful land indeed.

g-man, the .308 hit was the bottom one. Look again, the tiny little ding towards the bottom of the target. Unsure on the hardness of the steel there as it belongs to one of the guys who invited us out.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much further could you really reach out with the .338 than the .308? </div></div>

There is no question that the 338LM will get out there. There are two questions you need to take into account also. One is the terminal velocity and energy. The other is maximal range. In terms of range, the 308 can reach out there beyond 1000 yards. I have on many occasions shot my 308 out to 1200+ yards with decent accuracy. The so call invincible barrier of 800 yards that you are talking about has to do with the effective range. Meaning, at that range, it still has enough energy and accuracy to "neutralize" your target. Beyond that range, then the transitional zone kicks in and can make the ballistic somewhat unpredictable especially if you are shooting in a windy environment. If you only punch paper or target, then yes, you hit targets beyond 1K.

As for the 338LM, I have taking it out to 1575 yards and still have plenty energy to make a big splash. so the maximum range for both cartridges are different. And yes, the 338LM will win on any given day. Hope that helps.