• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report .308....which rds should I use?

Dirt.diver

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2012
San Diego, Ca
Hi first of all, I'm new to sniper's hide. I do hope this is the correst place to post. I just purchased a Savage 10 FCP-SR in .308 and I'm trying to debate which rds to use. I know every rifle is different and rounds act different in each rifle. However, I'm trying to get an overall consensus of what to try, but more importantly, what to stay away from. Ive done a lot of research, and as usual, different mixed reviews. Only rds I have ever shot in this caliber were those out of the M40A3, while I was in the marine corps and on a range with some of our snipers. I believe they were 175gr. I have my beliefs, a heavier bullets isn't effected by wind AS much, but drops more. A lighter bullet travels faster but is effected by wind more. These are obvious things. I will be shooting 200-1000+ yds. I don't mind 2 different bullet weights. I can adjust accordingly on the fly, not that hard if you keep a well maintained chart. So if there's a great rd for 100-600yds, and another for 600-1000+, so be it. Hoping to get some good responses. Thank you.

Re: .308....which rds should I use?

Not sure of the twist rate of your rifle, but in 308. The 175 gr SMK, VLD or 178 Hornady Amax or Match will do everything you are wanting to do from 50-1000. Roll your own, or try FGMM, SW ammo, or Nosler custom.

Welcome to the Hide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirt.diver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Twist rate is 1 in 10. Will that fare well with the 178gr? </div></div>

very well

Not sure if you are reloading. If not, Federal Gold Metal Match, Southwest and Blackhills are the most common recommendations in that order. If reloading, it's heavy(175-208) vs. the lights(155's). Both shoot well. The sky is the limit when it comes to receipes. That's what makes it fun. Your thoughts about heavy vs. light in the wind, not exactly. Read some posts on the 6.5mm in its different variations and how well they buck the wind.

I have a 20" 1/10 .308 and have had excellent results with 175 SMK. I highly (along with a bunch of other hide members) southwest ammunition, amazing accuracy with the stuff. Either way it would be a good starting point.

http://www.southwestammunition.com

-J

Thanks, I'll be giving a box of of few different types a try. I wanna see which fly well out of the rifle, keeps a better group, etc. I'm liking the 175-ish gr, but a buddy of mine who shoots and reloads 180 gr said if he was to do it all over again, he'd shoot 165. I'll have fun seeing which bullet works for me. Thanks for the starting point.

I am shootin fgmm in 168 right now. Probably goin to try the 175. Hav a friend that says they will perform better out past the 600 yard mark. I will say i have been shootin to 800 with the 168s and they seem to perform pretty damn good. Usually stay at or little below half moa groups all the way out. If i culd jus learn how to read the wind for 1st round hits i b n business

If you want to shoot something that is relatively inexpensive compared to Federal SMK, Nosler, Hornady and you're looking to 600 +/- yards I shoot Privi Partisan 175 Match out of my Rem 700 AAC and they work very well plus the brass is great for reloading. I bought 500 for $265. Over 600 the higher end ammo and reloads have the extra edge.

Definitely try the Black Hills. If I have to shoot boxed ammo that is almost always what I grab.