• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Win. A.I. Cartridge

Longguns

Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Chattanooga,TN
Question, I am not very smart and have a question for some of you that are. My question is with all the Ackley Calibers why is there not a .308 Ackley Improved. There are 06's .223's .280's .22-250's and the .243 on the .308 case. I have never seen a .308 win A. I. or load data for it. Can someone enlighten me on this. And before someone type's RUN A SEARCH on this I already have several times and do not find a .308 A.I. With all the .308 shooters you would think they would make a Ackley(or maybe they do)and you just can't make something great better.
Thanks for The Help

Re: .308 Win. A.I. Cartridge

Found .308 A. I on google search. Not much on this. Anyone had any dealings with this. Confused as to why not a .308 win is not as good as othe cartridges.
Thanks

The greater the caliber of bullet used on any given case, the less case volume increase you will see by "improving" it. The gain on a 257 Roberts AI may be worthwhile, while nobody does an 8x57 AI, even though they are on the same case.

That's a good question. It may not increase case volume by much but it could slow down brass growth. But after you reform the shoulder how much extra life would you get? You might be able to pust the heavier bullets a little harder that would be a plus for the 308. Donald

A 308 Win. has marginal long range ballistics. A.I.'ing the round only makes it slightly less marginal. And then you can't use it in F-T/R or certain tactical matches. There are better calibers to Acklify if you're going to invest the time and resources.

See what you are saying but I can't get through my head is 30/06 A.I. is used but not a .308 win. Is it just too good to improve or not worth fooling with. Seems as good as it is and all the .308 win shooters we have if it was worth while someone would be coming out with it with all the wildcaters we have.

Thanks

That's what a friend told me about the F Class use. I figured it might help with a little more push on hunting though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question, I am not very smart and have a question for some of you that are. My question is
Thanks for The Help </div></div>

Obviously Itfirehunter you're not!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your friends a dumb ass, possibly dumber than you.
</div></div>

Take it easy man. No need to be rude.

I have a .243 AI, a .257 AI, and a .220 Swift AI. There is obviously velocity gain with all three. Wear and tear on the brass is greatly reduced. There is a lot of good things about AI cases. I personally think that the only real gain with a .308 AI would be brass life. If you are like me, I find it really painful to work up new brass. I am considering having one built just to try it out. I think the main reason you don't see more .308 AI rifles is the fact that they don't feed as smooth as a standard cartridge, none of my AI's feed as smooth as they before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question, I am not very smart and have a question for some of you that are. My question is

Obviously Itfirehunter you're not! </div></div>

And your the shining star here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question, I am not very smart and have a question for some of you that are. My question is

And your the shining star here? </div></div>

WTF

douche bag, are you the fucking king of AI chambers? If you are answer the fucking question or shut your fucking sewer!!

Ok heres the deal .
Since ya'll don't know the facts about what has transpired here.
VTR is one of my best friends, and the poke was between me and him and not a smart ass answer. We couldn't decide who was going to inquire about the 308 AI here while we was talikng on the phone . He said he would since I was not on the puter but at Physical therapy with my wife
Just thought I would let you know before to much of your dander gets to stirred.

laugh.gif
my bad
grin.gif

kt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok heres the deal .
Since ya'll don't know the facts about what has transpired here.
VTR is one of my best friends, and the poke was between me and him and not a smart ass answer. We couldn't decide who was going to inquire about the 308 AI here while we was talikng on the phone . He said he would since I was not on the puter but at Physical therapy with my wife
Just thought I would let you know before to much of your dander gets to stirred. </div></div>

....Okay, but go look at your other posts in this thread, not very professional sounding are they. People form opinions based on what they read in your posts so represent yourself (and the Hide community) well.

The selling point of the .308 is the number of rifles chambered for it and the avaliability of ammunition for it. Ackley Improving that case is a waste of time and money.

The only way to really 'improve' the .308 would be to neck it down to say .277 or .284, which makes for an efficient cartridge. (Not overbore, and keeping charges at modest levels, around 50gr) see <span style="font-weight: bold">7mm-08</span>.

it's also worth noting that the body taper on a .30-06 is much long than on a .308. The Ackley Improved not only pushes the sholder forward, but it also decreases the angle of taper so that maximum capacity can be gained. A significantly much larger percentage of capacity can be gained from the .30-06 to the .30-06AI than from the .308 to the .308AI. Remember, the case body still must retain some taper for it to extract properly after firing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ltfirehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joe-n-TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question, I am not very smart and have a question for some of you that are. My question is

And your the shining star here? </div></div>

No. Not by any means. I just love thumping wannabe bullies
wink.gif

25 yrs ago I wanted to neck down the Rem 350 Mag to 308. Nevr had the money then, now I am not interested...I carried the M14E2/66'-67'. I have Seven, 308's now and am thinking of another.

Question, I am not very smart and have a question for some of you that are. My question is with all the Ackley Calibers why is there not a .308 Ackley Improved. There are 06's .223's .280's .22-250's and the .243 on the .308 case. I have never seen a .308 win A. I. or load data for it. Can someone enlighten me on this. And before someone type's RUN A SEARCH on this I already have several times and do not find a .308 A.I. With all the .308 shooters you would think they would make a Ackley(or maybe they do)and you just can't make something great better.
Thanks for The Help
I shoot .308Win.,AI (Ackley Improved). It is a very credible 1000yard+ round. A lot of questions have been asked on it because there is really no real history. There is NO history of it in Ackley books; I know I have both.
It takes a good amount of developmental work to build this round. The return is well worth the effort. I drive a 200grn. Berger Hybrid. That said, I use Lapua Palma Brass for the small rifle primer pocket. You can use standard .308 brass with the standard large rifle primer pocket, but you get a bit of 'stretch'. The Palma Brass with the small rifle primer cup gives longer case life. The small rifle magnum primer is ideal; it gives a better burn.
While the over all case length of the AI round is shorter (nominally) the actual propellant chamber is much larger, from head to base of shoulder ~ly 100 thousandths. This allows for maximum propellant density loads of super short cut stick powder which is what you are going to need to get velocities up. Through a three gate Ohler I'm developing 2740fps. E/MV. That's not a dream I've run several Chrono runs and that's what averages out.
Think seriously here because you are NOT going to get that out of a 24" barrel. I built the rifle with a 30"Bartlein Heavy Palma 5R barrel on a Savage 112psc action. I do not shoot a 100 yard much less a 200 yard target with this. The rifle is zeroed for 500 yards; practices at any range short of that are a waste of time and rifle potential.

Reactions: Longguns