• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 win and Accubonds??

KYpatriot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
wishing i was in KY
Gentleman - do any of you shoot the 165 or 180 gr nosler Accubonds in 308? I am trying to do some hunting load development with the following:

Rem 5r 24" 1 in 11.25
FGMM brass
Varget
165 or 180 accubonds...

My mag is right at 2.83 so they will have to be shorter than that and I am having trouble finding good data. The Nosler site shows 46 gr max with Varget with no seating depth, brass or primer info. I measured the 165 accubonds and they were .064 longer than 175SMKs, and thus at mag length the 46 grain max should be really compressed. I will start low but just wondering if any of y'all have used this combo...and if you liked the results.

Re: .308 win and Accubonds??

KY I shoot the 180 Accubonds in 1-11.25 twist 300wsm and they rock!!!

I would be interested to see how they do in 308 also!!

hey in my 5r I got the 165g nbt to shot a 3/4 group with 45g of varget.also got the same bullet to shot use ing R15.the charge was 43.5g.both loads at a coal 2.900 at the tip of bullet.but one thing to remember is that so fare the 5r's like it when they are loaded at a SAAMI spec in coal.thats what I load all my stuff in now.m primer was a BR-2 and 200 CCI.or just use the smk's, but thats me.hope you find something to work for ya.
John

I will put a load up when I get one worked out...willhave to borrow a chrono.

5r- will a 2.9 COAL load in your remmy or did you get new bottom metal? My mag wouldnt fit that. Thanks for the recommendations.

no to big loaded one at a time.load them at 2.800 and see what happen's.a 168-175 smk works great at this coal.the 5r likes them short for some reason.just may be the 5r rifeling.but eveyone I have known or shot just likes a 2.800 coal.and this will feed from your mag.just give them a try at this coal.
John

I am shooting the 180gr NAB over 43gr varget, cci 200, 2.825", in Lapua once fired brass. Check your oal once seated. This IS a compressed load for me with the Lapua brass and required a second seating on some due to the compression. More OAL has been better as long as it fits in the mag.

Shoots pretty good and has grouped 5 shots down under an inch a couple of times, but something has been inconsistent with the gun/load/me lately and I'm leaning toward me.

Same load shoots very well (maybe better) out of an Encore .308 with a 24" stainless Bergara barrel. Velocity has been averaging 2550fps in both guns.

I have a Remington 5R as well. For the 165 grain try 44 to 45 grains Varget, seated to 2.800.
44 grains Varget
Lapua brass
Remington 9.5 primer

SPS Tac
165 NAB
45gr Varget
CCI 250
Lapua brass

If you try the 165 at 2.800 and have a little problem getting it to shoot, then get a box of 165 sst's and try them with the same load. The 180gr accubonds shot great out of my rock, but the 165's not as good. The 165 sst's however, were stupid accurate. You may want to stick with the accubond, but had to throw that in.

I have an LTR
lapua brass, CCI BR primers, and 165g gameking BTSPs
one ragged hole at 44.5g of varget and 2.80 COAL
tried 45.5 yesterday which was my go to load on a Tikka and groups opened up to about an inch

I would try 44 up to 45.5g of Varget with the 2.80 COAL in .5g increments.. 44.5g was reported on several searches to be a good load for many 700s

Thanks everyone the google search engine I had for snipershide quit working and the site search function is bad so I was having a hard time finding what should work.

I'll load upsome extra in the 44-45 range, but right now I am having a hard time with my seater die, it doesnt want to compress this load. Neck tension seems ok but then again the bullets are getting pushed/pulled out somehow...

I'd like to know the recipe for factory Federal Premium Vital Shok with the 165 gn accubonds. I tried them in my Savage 10fcp and managed a .48in three shot group @100yds. The wierd thing is they print about an inch lower than the 175 SMK's with 44.1 gns. of Varget I load. I want to play with the 165 accubonds on the loading bench.

.308 Win
180gr Accubond/NBT
43.5gr RL15
Fed210
Win/BH cases
2.228C
2640FPS
15 ES
8 SD

tap on the case to settle the powder.the side and even the bottom.see if this helps.but tap the case on a table when taping the bottom of the case.

Lapua Brass
46.0 gr Varget
165 Nosler Interbond
Wolf NCLR primer
2.816 OAL
2850 fps...chronographed 10 feet from the muzzle

This loads shoots sub 1/2 @100yds, 5 shot group in my rifle. I shot a cow elk last fall @520 meters, recovered the bullet and it still weight 135 grains. I have had really good luck with that bullet and big game animals.

Thanks all had to put this aside for a bit as I had to send my seater into Forster to have them look at it - tech said I may have an "old style" seating stem. Bullets were sticking...will post up the load I work out when I can. Glad to hear others are getting good results.

L&Loaded could be that the 165s are printing lower cause the are a little faster than your 175s (they dont have time to "rise" to the 175 grain zero)...

I shoot the 180 NAB's and SSII's with 44.2 gr. Varget and CCI BR2's. Single digit ES/SD#'s and groups that impress as well. ~2650 from the AR-10T. I shoot the SSII's the most as they grouped in my rifle better. They were MUCH more finicky than the NAB, but in the end more accurate.

I really wanted the Noslers to shoot as the ogive for all their .308 bullets is nearly the same (they are a hell of a lot cheaper too). For me that would equate to nearly the same seating depth for all as well, meaning less to fiddle with. I have shot both at 1000+ yards and they both almost as good as the match bullets when it comes to groups at those ranges. They are quite impressive for a "hunting" bullet.

Before I went hunting this year, I took the SSII load out and shot it at steel at 735 yards , which is a 5 mil come-up from the 200 yd. zero. I had a first round hit with a reticle hold over. It's a good load. I tried it when working up with the 210M primer and the accuracy FELL apart. Stick with the CCI's and the Varget. It is a GREAT combination.