• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Win and Berger 185 Juggernaut Tactical question.

Thump_rrr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
I recently rebarreled my Savage 10BA after 4,500 rounds.
The factory barrel served me well using 180 and 175 SMK’s.
With the original barrel I was able to remain within 0.010” from the lands while still loading to magazine length.

I bought a box of the Berger 185 Juggernaut Target to try out.
With my new 24” 1-10” twist 5R IBI barrel I would need to load to 2.264” CBTO to touch the lands while magazine length is only 2.207” CBTO. This would put my minimum jump at 0.057”
Would this be detrimental to accuracy?
Is this bullet not a good fit for my purpose?
Any other bullet I should try?
In my 6.5 CM and 338 LM I’m using Hornady ELD-M with great success but those are also bullets with the ogive far back.

With 175 SMK’s I can still touch the lands at magazine length due to the difference in bullet shape.

All of my Shooting with .308 is inside of 600M.
300M at my club.

While the Bergers may be overkill for your needs and not worth the extra expense shot-to-shot, they do have no problem jumping. Even the Federal Gold Medal load’s OAL is only 2.785-2.790”.

Reactions: ShtrRdy
My jump is about 50 on 185s and they shoot fine.

I did a jump test on these a few years ago. Shooting from 300yds, I tried groups at .005 jam, .005 jump and .020 jump. The .005 jammed shot 1/2 moa, .005 jumped shot 3/8 moa, and the .020 jumped shot 1/4 moa. I stopped there. Since then I've been comfortable jumping them, and I believe you will be fine.

Reactions: KZP
.20 off the lans and getting 1/4 MOA Sweet. just pick up some 185's and run them

Long jump does not hurt accuracy. Just fine tune within the bounds of your magazine.

Reactions: KZP
Long jump does not hurt accuracy. Just fine tune within the bounds of your magazine.

Agreed. I'm 0.060 off the lands at max AICS length and it works just fine.