• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 win. recoil

Re: .308 win. recoil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It'll rip your arm off at the shoulder and if you have too short a barrel pop out your eyes </div></div>

What he said

It depends. It's pretty fierce out of a 4lb, 15" Encore Pistol no matter what you do.

Most people probably would start flinching on a second box of 20 in a standard sporter type rifle (less than 8lb fully dressed) shooting from the bench with poor technique.

Not bad out of a 12lb+ rifle when using proper form and shooting prone.

For most .308's, a 12 GA kicks quite a bit harder in my opinion. I've shot some light weight 22" barreled .308's that had me scared to pull the trigger after about 10 rounds. If you're very worried about it, have a break added and it'll shoot like a .22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moon-raker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For most .308's, a 12 GA kicks quite a bit harder in my opinion. <span style="font-weight: bold">I've shot some light weight 22" barreled .308's that had me scared to pull the trigger after about 10 rounds.</span> </div></div>

Oh My !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moon-raker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For most .308's, a 12 GA kicks quite a bit harder in my opinion. <span style="font-weight: bold">I've shot some light weight 22" barreled .308's that had me scared to pull the trigger after about 10 rounds.</span> </div></div>

Oh My ! </div></div>

If Frank can shoot a 338LM, somebody needs to man up!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moon-raker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For most .308's, a 12 GA kicks quite a bit harder in my opinion. I've shot some light weight 22" barreled .308's that had me scared to pull the trigger after about 10 rounds. If you're very worried about it, have a break added and it'll shoot like a .22. </div></div>

Please turn in your man card on your way out.
crazy.gif
those 308s are stompers, i have one that has an 18" barrel that weighs about 10lbs loaded and scoped....it hammers my wife to the point were she shoots about 100 rds and keeps on ticking and askin for more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moon-raker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For most .308's, a 12 GA kicks quite a bit harder in my opinion. I've shot some light weight 22" barreled .308's that had me scared to pull the trigger after about 10 rounds. If you're very worried about it, have a break added and it'll shoot like a .22. </div></div>

Please turn in your man card on your way out.
crazy.gif
those 308s are stompers, i have one that has an 18" barrel that weighs about 10lbs loaded and scoped....it hammers my wife to the point were she shoots about 100 rds and keeps on ticking and askin for more </div></div>

My wife will shoot 50BMG until I tell her to let the barrel cool off.

"Turn in you MAN card on the way out"-now that's some funny shit.

Well who said he had one? They just handing out man cards these days? Just rediculous.

I bought a Man card from midway, but they insisted I had to paint my truck camo, and stop eating fresh fruit for breakfast.

A silencer takes out a large percentage of recoil, but they heat up pretty quick for range use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gfunkUK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A silencer takes out a large percentage of recoil, but they heat up pretty quick for range use.
</div></div>
TAB Gear suppressor cover should be mandatory on all scoped rifles running a suppressor. I have seen bad mirages in as little as 10 rounds without a cover.

As for recoil, to me it's all in the fit of the stock to me on how I manage the recoil. But for the most part .308s are not that bad.

Sigler sign up for the Online Training, Frank and Jacob will show the Jedi way of shooting bolt action rifles, most of us have a 308 that weighs 15 or more pounds, some of us have muzzle brakes and/or suppressors, the right technique, weight of the rifle, and muzzle device tame the recoil, don't be scared.

Depends on the load you shoot and the weight of the weapons. Most firgures I have seen on the 308 run between 16-18 ft/lbs in a 8-9 lb rilfe. Table below is for various 12 gauge loads which can be pretty stout. Last number in the row is the RECOIL ENERGY.
NEXT TO LAST IS THE WEAPON WEIGHT.
12 gauge, 2.75" (1 at 1180) 7.5 17.3
12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/8 at 1200) 7.5 23.0
12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/4 at 1330) 7.5 32.0
12 gauge, 2.75" (1 1/2 at 1260) 7.5 45.0
12 gauge, 3" (1 5/8 at 1280) 7.5 52.0
12 gauge, 3" (1 7/8 at 1210) 8.75 54.0

Hope that helps

i've never shot any load out of any .308 rifle that has any were near the recoil of a 12 gauge 3" slug from a pump or single shot shot gun.if i had to shoot a box of 20 12 ga. slugs from a pump or single shot,i would turn my man card and never ask for it back.i've done it once and ain't doing it again.

My wife shoota a 12g 3 1/2 mag with t's and # 2 all day long duck and goose hunting, and she is only 130lbs. Also run a marathon 26.2 miles 3hrs and 50 min. I can't even do that....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've never shot any load out of any .308 rifle that has any were near the recoil of a 12 gauge 3" slug from a pump or single shot shot gun.if i had to shoot a box of 20 12 ga. slugs from a pump or single shot,i would turn my man card and never ask for it back.i've done it once and ain't doing it again. </div></div>

ever been on any GOOD dove or duck hunts? Hell ive shot a case of shells, albeit not slugs but still 12 gauge and only been a tad tad bit sore.

My 6'5" 170lb 16 yr old ( bean pole ) son will shoot fifty rounds out of his seven and half lb .308 savage faster than his old man shoots five out of his 14.5lb Remington. Needless to say but I will unless your shooting 190s or a extremely hot 178 or so. .308s don't kick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnnyDL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've never shot any load out of any .308 rifle that has any were near the recoil of a 12 gauge 3" slug from a pump or single shot shot gun.if i had to shoot a box of 20 12 ga. slugs from a pump or single shot,i would turn my man card and never ask for it back.i've done it once and ain't doing it again. </div></div>

ever been on any GOOD dove or duck hunts? Hell ive shot a case of shells, albeit not slugs but still 12 gauge and only been a tad tad bit sore. </div></div>sure have,but there ain't any bird load(except 3 and a half turkey loads)that comes any where near a 12 gauge slug being shot out of a none gas gus.we ware the ducks and doves out on the ohio river here,but not with slugs.

My 10 year old shoots my M1a with no problems.. I have a lightweight Savage 12 ga slug gun that I won't let him shoot yet. Have you ever seen the videos with the .577 T Rex? I'm thinking it would end the same way, with the gun on the ground. 308 recoil not even in the same ballpark as a 12 ga slug.

Personally I would never shoot a .308
The recoil can really shake a guy up.
Best to leave that to the military types who train to handle these sorts of things.

So I searched midway for a "man-card" and I think they must be out of stock because I couldn't find them.

Anyone else have any luck finding these?

I used to shoot left handed. Shot a .308 once, now I have to shoot everything right handed.

My wife shot my 308 today, She wants to know why a guy would not want to shoot one, Then she said hand me another shell.....

Then on the other hand, I have a fifty year old buddy, rides a harley, a fairly macho guy, he can hold his own in a brawl, Will not shoot his 12g 2 3/4 slug. Only at a deer, and then he closes his eye and waits for the punch. WOW!!! some guy

I just got home from putting 80 rounds through my .300 Win Mag and would shoot more, had I brought more. I understand people who begin to get scared and flinch. The last box my knees were shaking every squeeze just thinking that my wife might figure out how much the ammo bill was...scary stuff.

LOL @ The ammo bill scare

.308 doesnt kick all that bad to be honest... once you have put a few hundred rounds down a tube with a .308 you look back and think how different it is to when you first started shooting it.

Rifle weight and barrel length make a big difference in my opinion. The guy at the range on the bench next to me was shooting a Remington police 7600 with a short barrel in .308. His rifle had almost a concusive blast and it was throwing off my chrony! Whereas my 17pound AICS 26" barrel .308, is like a kitten to shoot

The typical 308 is, in my mind anyway, the standard rifle recoil that I reference other rifles to.
Everybody knows what a typical (unbraked) 308 recoils like, so comparisons end up being easily understood.

The 308 recoils just like it performs,
moderately.

3.5" heavy magnum 12 gauge in a light shotgun can break a malnourished persons arm if not shouldered properly.
(I shit you not)

I feel that an important part of shooting well is attaining the mental discipline to focus on what's important, while ignoring what isn't.
Don't let any rifle push you around, and it'll become your bitch.

This is true and well said I might add. I can't recall ever even beginning to think about recoil when I had a live target in my crosshairs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3.5" heavy magnum 12 gauge in a light shotgun can break a malnourished persons arm if not shouldered properly.
(I shit you not) </div></div>

The first time I shot one of those was a nasty suprise... a mate handed me his shotty and I thought nothing of it... clicked off the safety then let the round rip

He laughed... I thought I had done something wrong... He continued to laugh

I was not impressed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sigler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How is the recoil of a .308 win. compaired to lets say a 12 ga. slug. </div></div>

Depends, whether or not ones tampoon is inserted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
(I shit you not) </div></div>

The first time I shot one of those was a nasty suprise... a mate handed me his shotty and I thought nothing of it... clicked off the safety then let the round rip

He laughed... I thought I had done something wrong... He continued to laugh

I was not impressed </div></div>

What is the deal with people giving others high impulse firearms for their entertainment?

People who do this to new shooters (esp. girls/women) have serious manhood issues.

I have a friend from Brazil who had never fired a centerfire rifle.
I started him out on a .223 service rifle (AR15, 14 lbs) and he commented on it's recoil.
I let him know that that rifle was at the bottom of the recoil spectrum for a centerfire.
How was he to know as he likely learned about firearms from movies.
That day we worked him up to a 12 gauge firing shot, and eventually to the 2 3/4", 1.125 oz slugs that he was going to use to take a deer that season.
Each step up he was given a briefing about the recoil, among other things.
The first time he fired the slug, he turned and looked at me with a funny grin and said "wow".
He had watched me shoot it just before, but it's hard to tell when you watch someone else, especially if you are new to this.
He's a fairly avid hunter now, and I helped to make one more shooter.

It's easy to forget where you were when you began.

vman:
I know that this doesn't apply to you as I'm sure you and your friends have lots of experience with firearms.
Like spicy food, I crave a good, hard kick from a rifle every now and then.
I guess I'm just venting over some stories that I've heard.

So:
If you're thinking about giving your inexperienced girlfriend your 7 lb. scoped 300 win mag to shoot so she'll think you're a tough guy, or whatever.......
don't

As mentioned above, the 308 really doesn't pack serious recoil. If you are shooting from an extremely light platform with a crappy stock, it can give your shoulder a beating. If you are shooting from a heavier platform (as many people on this forum are), or at least have a well designed stock that fits you well, it's very manageable. The recoil from my 26" remmy in a B&C A5 stock (with a not so light 3-18x42 IOR scope on it) is next to nothing. I can shoot 175gr SMK's all day and my shoulder never would give a hit of a problem. My wallet starts hurting before anything else! I'm not a huge fan of recoil. I wouldn't want to shoot a 300 win mag on a regular basis (that bitch would have to weigh 20 lbs)... and a 300 win mag... while powerful... isn't at the top of the pack as far as recoil goes (but again a sporter weight rifle in 300 win mag will pound your shoulder real good).

This being said, I'm also of the feeling that a well designed stock that fits the shooter (along with good technique) really cut down on percieved recoil. For basic remmys that people buy (the ones that come in the $15 plastic SPS stocks and such)... a nice stock is a huge upgrade. Even a $200 B&C will do huge things for the way the gun feels (and recoil management).

I have a .308 that weighs about 6 lbs. It hurts.
I have a .300 Win Mag that weighs 14.5 lb, that doesn't hurt as much as the .308, and is quite comfortable to shoot.