• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 Win to 260 Rem forming die?

jlficken

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2006
Aurora, NE
I see RCBS #58121 mentioned but can't seem to locate one.

I have a 260 Rem coming and have thousands of pieces of Winchester 308 Win brass I'd like to use if possible so I'd appreciate any suggestions as to where to get a forming die.

I also need to locate a Forster Ultra Seater die for the 260 Rem but they are also illusive.

I've actually wanted a 260 Rem for probably 15 years now.

Thanks!

Run the 308 through a 7-08 then through a 260 die.
I would avoid using a bushing die for forming.
Use imperial lube for sure.

Possibly anneal in one of the above formings.

Possibly neck turn.

There was recently primed 260 and Bruno’s I think.

4B0936BB-35F3-4742-8FF2-1AAAE3414A5D.jpeg

It appears that Redding says their Trim Die is a good intermediate step from 308 Win down to 260 Rem so I'm going to try it as I found one for $33.

I'm going to have to bum it with a Lee seating die for now since the Forster Ultra Micrometer die is unavailable except direct from Forster and I'm not paying $135 for it.

Your 308 Winchester brass will likely be okay going down to 260. Some of the thicker brass types like federal GMM cause the necks to be too thick. Cases that weigh in the 180 gr.+ weight might not work well

I've had good luck taking the old 160 grain Winchester cases and the old 160 Hornady cases down to 260 without the necks being too thick.

I haven't tried the newer Winchester cases that weigh out to 170+

Thanks for the info! I'll weigh some of my Winchester cases that are about 10 years old and go from there.

If you have a regular SAAMI type chamber, you should be okay. You will be able to tell if your necks are too thick by taking your necked down, fired cases and see if a bullet will fit through the fired neck. If it slips through, you're fine. If it won't drop through, your necks are too thick and will need turning.

For my Tikka 260rem I formed brass in one step. Lapua Palma 308win, converted to 260 did not require neck turning. I even made "custom" neck fit brass from 30-06, all sized down with Redding type-s without bushing and deccaping pin. Lube, anneal if necessary, and go.

Attachments

• DSCF4298.jpg
    DSCF4298.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: camocorvette