• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 win to much?

robtan

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
West Covina, California US of A
I picked up an sps tac about 3 months ago and have been shooting it like crazy. I dropped it in an H&S pst-025 stock and recently topped it off with a nice bushnell elite tactical scope. I also got into reloading because I'm a semi broke college student (i have a job that supports my shooting hobby). I feel like for the shooting that I'm doing (paper and steel out to 800 yards and the monthly varmint shoot) .308 is just a little more than i need. Also i have a messed up shoulder from wrestling in high school so I'm a little recoil intolerant. My intentions with this project were to rebarrel to a 7mm-08. I've started to think that the 7mm may even be to much and maybe something in the 6mm or .22 caliber would better suit my needs. Something like a .243 or a 22-250. Would you all agree with that? All of your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you guys,
Robert

Re: 308 win to much?

As a former high school wrestler with shoulder problems myself, go with the 243. You reload so the sky is the limit with that round. If it feels uncomfortable to shoot it, you probably won't shoot it well. I love my 243 and don't really even shoot my 308 anymore. Low recoil, great ballistics

With the 7mm, you can do with 145 grains what the .308 uses 168. The recoil impulse is different. With lighter bullets, you frequently have higher velocities and a quicker, sharper recoil pulse.
The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge, however, I think you need to look at the 6.5 creedmore or .260 Rem. Use the light weight 123 grain bullets for most of your shooting, when you move out to long ranges, use the 139-142 bullets.

The .243 and 22-250 can be great long range shooters, but both burn barrels quite quickly.
The 6.5's will still burn a barrel faster than a .308, but not near as fast as the .243 or 22-250.

You may want to have the barrel threaded and put a brake on it. Will significantly reduce the recoil and be less costly than another rig.

A .260 Rem. or 6.5 CM might be a happy medium. They're both good LR shooters.

Thanks guy.
Shootinsurveyor I agree with you. It can be a little more than uncomfortable at times, usually later in the day, and it shows in my groups.

Fdkay, that is good info to know. My current load uses is a relatively hot load with 155 palmas. Barrel life is a concern. I typically shoot around 850-900 rounds a year.I have heard cases of people getting a solid 3000 rounds out of their .243 barrels.

yes if you have a .308 now have the barrel threaded for a brake (preferably 3 ports in my exp- tho it be limited), and get the rifle weight up to 14 lbs or more if your not ever goin to lug it around the woods, with those to things that .308 will feel less than a stock .243 and you wont be limited to any bullet weights, or loads in general.

you can add sand or shotgun pellets to but stock of the rifle and that will help ALOT in the weight dept. i recommend sand since it is more finely packed and less wasted space

If your going to rebarrel it, go with anything in the 6 or 6.5 category and put a brake on it.. When you order a barrel, make it heavy.. MTU or heavy palma

Thanks guys.
In regards to a brake. I know they reduce recoil at the expense of being load, but are there any other pros or cons? Submoa i will look into those palma contours.

Go with a braked 260. Good ballistics, barrel life, and very mild recoil.

No effect on accuracy.

If matches are in your future, many matches do not allow brakes.

If you get a brakes with ports on the bottom, grass and dust will fly up and get in your face when you shoot prone. The side port brakes don't have that problem.

Johnny I like to think i will shoot a couple of matches, but Im really not sure. In that case could I have a thread cap to be able to shoot in a match?
On a different note does anyone here varmint hunt with a 260? Right now im using a 223 at around 250 yards. I haven't developed any varmint loads for the 308.

If I were in your shoes (semi broke college student) I would put a brake on my 308 and shoot. You are already set up for reloading it, and it is a great round.
With a good brake your bad shoulder will thank you.
Then when you are making the big bucks get yourself a custom rifle in your caliber of choice to add to your safe. Just what I would do. Been down the broke college student road and shot a Remington 788 for a long time.

Thanks nfoley, I'm considering it. It would certainly be cheaper to go down that route. I currently have some money to kill which is why I'm entertaining the idea of a barrel swap. But like you stated i could save some of that money and put it towards more shooting. I'm trying to keep all options open.

Since you already have a .223, why don't you just shoot that more? That way you won't spend any more money and since you'll have to fight the wind more to get out to 800 yards, you should become a better shooter in the long run because of it.

A broke college student? You probably have at least $1000 into your set-up.

Anyways, I agree with all of the guys that said get a brake for it. It'll probably be the most cost effective solution to your problem.

I'm in college too and I picked up an M70 in 308. Right now, it's about the cheapest round for me. The advantage of 7mm would be a better ballistic coefficient, not cost. The cheapest solution would be to keep your rifle in 308 and hand load.

You won't want to shoot a 22-250 at 800 yards. While it's a great round at shorter distances, it's still a 22 bullet. The drop is 2' at 400 yards (approx). An 800 yard shot is a bit of a hope and a prayer. A 243 would be a better option I think, but I've never shot one.

Gnome that's what ive been doing, but there is nothing like stretching out to 800yards for me. And as soon as I can find a decent spot to ring out a gong I have at 1000-1200 in the desert ill be set.
Dermeister, I have put in around 1300 to this set up. But I'm thankful that the internship I have right now pays well.
Austin, I hear you loud and clear on the 22-250. And believe me, I'm strongly considering a brake.
thank you guys.

fast twist 22 250's are very 1,000 yard capable. there are a bunch of guys doing it here and other places with 22 cal rifles.

as far as varmint hunting with a 260, i shot coyotes with 123 grain lapua scenars, they blew shit apart. dunno if i was lucky, but, they expanded and killed great for me.'

i have had 260, 243, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5x284, 7mm saum, 308 and on and on. A good brake with thread protector will serve you greatly.

I run a brake on every gun i own. Mainly because it helps me spot my own shots due to the recoil and muzzle jump reduction. Kinda off topic but when I switched from a Harris bipod to the atlas that I currently run. I noticed that I could load the gun up a lot more solid and it seemed to help w recoil some

Why not sell your bolt rifle and go with a Precision AR-15?

Do you handload? Magazine loaded 77gr match bullets are very capable to 600+ yards. Read the stuff over on the national match board. Not like there is any recoil and you won't need a brake.

The Tikka T3 is factory available with an 8 twist barrel. A varmint or even sporter T3 will shoot 80gr bullets with a little mod to the factory magazine.

Want to go custom, then you have the AI'd .223 or a 6x45. The 6mmXC is also worth looking at.

Bignada what about 6mmbr? That seems to be a good performer, just doesn't feed to well from mags though. But I single load anyways so that isn't a big deal to me.

i read a few post but BUY A MUZZEL BRAKE!!!! if you drop caliber your windage will increase your drp will increase to a point, the 7-08 is a good round and the 243 is a good round but it will much cheeper to BUY A MUZZEL BRAKE. i dont use one but a friend of mine got a 300 WM that has way less recoil than my 308 and i know what a un-braked 300 WM should have i have on to compair it too

BUY THIS

http://www.iveyshooting.com/index.php?pa...rt&Itemid=1

the 308 it will change you mind about your 308, its like shooting a AR

I would just put a good brake on it and keep shooting what you got. Save your money for something else.

Also check into the online training offered here. Great instruction on many issues. Sounds like you may need info on position and getting yourself straight behind the rifle. Depending of course on what your shoulder can take.

I might. I like to think I have decent positioning. Also I tend to get beat up a little more off the bench than in prone. I know that's pretty normal but after about 40 rounds of prone my shoulder is toast.