• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308 with Hornady BTHPS and varget.

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
I've had good luck with the 155 eld and bthps and varget. Was at 44.4gr and then 44.8 gr. 20" tube, my matches are 700 yards max with minimal wind. They shoot nicely but haven't found the consistent sub minute load. They'll do a minute pretty regularly. Mind you I'm new at reloading, looking to squeeze the most velocity out of these looking at around 2575, or should I just switch to the 178s? I have done loads with the 178s both eld and bthp. 42.4. Tried 44.4 with Nosler 175 CC and had great groups just like to stick with the Hornady because it's consistently available locally. Ideally I find the best load for the 155 and 178s. Shoot 2 matches with each and decide from there. I have the Hornady head space comparater but not the ogive comparater. I have the prepping and loading cover but now need to focus on jump and that's the part I have little experience in. Thinking of grabbing an ogive comparator and finding the lands. That's the part I need some education on how to do, I'm sure Hornady has some good videos. I'll look around. Any suggestions/thoughts?
Thanks.

Reactions: archerforkids
Take a fl sized case and cut a slit down the neck. Stick a bullet in the neck and push the round into the chamber. Push the round out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. Measure the oal. That’s where the bullet touches the lands.

Don’t use the bolt.

Reactions: jLorenzo
10/4 pretty simple. Then use the ogive comparater for OAL measurment?

Look right? Just used a razor down the neck and FL sized again to get it concentric.
2019-01-06 13.15.52.jpg
2019-01-06 13.16.34.jpg

I've been loading mine around Hornady book COAL at 2.810 so it appears I've been running a lot of jump. Any idea where to start jump wise?

That’s the idea. But cut the slit all the way down into the shoulder because you want only slight resistance on the bullet.

In my rifle the 178bthp hits the lands at 2.935” I reduced that by .020” to start.

As long as your single feeding, you shouldn't have any problems, but if your using a magazine to feed, check that they will fit/feed from the mag. Many mags have a 2.8ish" maximum. YMMV

Here is some load testing I conducted with Varget and 178gr Hornady HPBT, going from 43-45.1gr. Loaded to mag length. I believe 43.2gr was book max, so use my results with caution.

Attachments

• 15OCT18 Load Testing-resized.jpg
    15OCT18 Load Testing-resized.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 50
I run the 178 Amax and Varget at 2750fps in a 22 inch Bartlien 1-11.25 twist. I bought 2K of the same lot several years back and have been happy with them. They stabalize at 1K for me. With the 3 port brake the barrel finishes at 24.5 inches or so. Picks up to 2770fps with the Huntertown can on it.

I run the 178 Amax and Varget at 2750fps in a 22 inch Bartlien 1-11.25 twist. I bought 2K of the same lot several years back and have been happy with them. They stabalize at 1K for me. With the 3 port brake the barrel finishes at 24.5 inches or so. Picks up to 2770fps with the Huntertown can on it.
Powder charge?