• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308AR resale value?

powderBurnz

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2005
Florida
Ive been building a 308AR, accumulated the parts, put it together, but haven't shot it yet. While saving funds for a NF, I've caught A.D.D. and am interested in an AI now. Is this thing worth more as is unfired, or tested with a few boxes put through it? Kinda shitty as I have a ton of cash into it.

Re: 308AR resale value?

in my experience brother it's a "used" gun no way around it, I'd shoot it and enjoy untill ya get it sold, thats what i'd do

Yeah gun nut ADD is hard on the wallet. If it's all together I'd at least test fire it; who knows you might get all horny when you shoot it and not want to sell it.

And yes as soon as you buy it consider it used...just the way it is.

I'd say its worth less unfired. Mixmaster 308 ARs can be kinda fickle; I'd want to know it runs ok.

If you give us a parts list or some more information to work with, we might be able to get you in a ballpark in terms of total "value" but from experience...whether unfired/everything is "New" or "As New" (since its been assembled) or "slightly used" as in a couple boxes of ammo through it...you are likely to lose basicaly the same money with any parts gun. I mean, some people will pay "new money" for "pre-owned" parts (especially if they are hard to find or in limited supply or otherwise unavailable/discontinued), but don't expect to get close to what you have in it back out of it. If its been test-fired and functions properly...at least you can convey that to potential buyers who might want the whole rifle as a package.

If I sell it, I'll probably have to part it out. Basically it cost what a GAP-10 does without the 'GAP' name on it. Can't compete with that.

Or maybe I'll take it to a match this weekend and it'll run like a raped ape and I'll get all tingly and snipery inside and decide to keep it.
laugh.gif

I would shoot it and see if you like it well enough to keep it .

thats akin to sayin you wouldnt bang a hottie cause she "looks" like she's a prude, you never know what will happen till you mount up

Well sometimes its worth the extra investment in cash to have a name on it to increase resale. Dont know if thats an option for you worth considering or not but perhaps having assembled by APA, GAP etc will help lessen the depreciation esp if you sell it as a minty unfired build.

Really depends on how much you already have invested into it.

Otherwise I would say you would be better off parting it out, Ar builds are rather personal and you may wait a long time to find a buyer with similar preferances to what you had when you purchased the parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats akin to sayin you wouldnt bang a hottie cause she "looks" like she's a prude, you never know what will happen till you mount up</div></div>

+1

you might be very happy with this rifle. it's the ones you'd never expect that wind up being the freaks... i mean most accurate

Hell you gotta shoot it!!!! If you love it keep it if not save the groups if they are good and advertise them with the rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thats akin to sayin you wouldnt bang a hottie cause she "looks" like she's a prude, you never know what will happen till you mount up</div></div>

LoL, alright I'll put it through its paces the next couple of weekends and go from there.

As long as it won't hurt your feelings too much, post up the specs & photos of your build.
ARs are very personal builds, but there are some builds that are so well done and "Classy" that they can stand on their own.

You will never get your money back out of the gun unless you put it in the safe for a few years and another "Black Rifle Gold Rush" happens.
It is kind of like building up an old Chevy.
Sure, you put $15,000 in parts into it and a ridiculous amount of man hours, but you will never get more than $8,000 for it.
(Dollar amounts are not intended to be accurate, just there for dramatic comparison.)

308AR.jpg

SI Defense receivers
DD 762 rail
Krieger M110 bbl
RRA 2 stage trgr
Y/Mfr chrome carrier
badger rings
colt a2 stock

Very well done!
sdmr4441halfsizetrue.jpg

Reminds me of the United States Army Squad Designated Marksman Rifle.

You shouldn't have any problems selling it as long as you can put a test target next to it with a group that is under 1 MOA.
I would think that it would easily sell for around $2,000.
There are alot of folks that would like a precision rig from GAP or APA, but are too impatient to wait.
(Granted, it isn't made by either of those companies, but as long as it shoots...)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very well done!

{SNIP}

Reminds me of the United States Army Squad Designated Marksman Rifle.

You shouldn't have any problems selling it as long as you can put a test target next to it with a group that is under 1 MOA.
I would think that it would easily sell for around $2,000.
There are alot of folks that would like a precision rig from GAP or APA, but are too impatient to wait.
(Granted, it isn't made by either of those companies, but as long as it shoots...) </div></div>

BIG +1 on Dr. Phil's comments!! Get some rounds though it for function testing and shoot a couple groups with quality ammo. I'm sure as long as everything checks out that you can sell it without too much trouble!

I want the SI Defense upper and Lower, as well as the DD Rail... need those still for my project... need being subjective more or less like/want and cannot' afford.. for that I give your rifle huge props.

The best way to get your value out of it is by being flexible on trades. I can never get back in cash what I paid on new stuff. Nor do I pay full price in cash on used items. It is the way things are, but I can pretty easily trade it for something else I either want, need or can resale/trade off. In fact, most of the stuff I have is because I have traded for it. I usually do partial trades with cash to get something I want.

Broke the barrel in yesterday and I'll be hanging on to this for a little while. Luv this shiiiit.

yeah I only put 40 rds thru it, not shooting for groups, just running a scrub/patch through every so often, and I was very impressed. It FTE choked on the first round, but then it ran nonstop. Just fed it some shitty Fed 150gr SP wally world specials.

Needs some decent glass and loads worked up for it.