• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos .308's from 1233 yards on an F-Class Target

Re: .308's from 1233 yards on an F-Class Target

Can you give specifications on your rifle?

Nice to see a good sized range overseas.

Gorgeous pic thanks for sharing.

The rifle is a factory Savage Model 12 F-T/R, the scope is a Nightforce 12-42x56 NXS model with NP-R1 reticle. The bipod is a new LRA model that I started running for the Ireland National Championships. The ammo is built around the Berger 155.5 grain bullet (running quickly); Varget powder, Fed. 210M primers, all in a Winchester case.

Very, VERY nice.

Nice Boom stick you have there, Darrell. I have a savage f-class in 6br and it shoots better then I can. Cool range too.

Here is the webpage for the bipod shown on that rifle. I do not own one, but I got to meet Dave about a week ago, and it is on my list of things to buy for my new rifle.

http://www.lraccuracy.com/

Also, very nice setup Darrell.

I go to Scotland annually and never thought to bring a rifle. What part of Scotland were you shooting?

The range is up in the hills above Blair Atholl. It is around 45 minutes north of Perth, and around an hour south of Inverness. The layout of the range ensures wickedly hard wind, and the ability to take it out past 1200 yards makes it all that much more challenging with a .308 on a 5 inch "x" ring target.

There are plenty of other rifle ranges in Scotland to shoot at, I've also competed at Blair Adam, just north of Edinburgh.

Thanks to ply1951 for posting the link to Dave's excellent bipod!

Darrell

Very cool. I just need to talk my wife into letting me take guns to her homeland. She is Glaswegian.

long range shooting in Scotland, so, were you shooting from the North Sea over to a target on the Atlantic shoreline or was it the other way around?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Caeli</div><div class="ubbcode-body">long range shooting in Scotland, so, were you shooting from the North Sea over to a target on the Atlantic shoreline or was it the other way around? </div></div>

Geography; FAIL!

Shooting from the North Sea to the Atlantic truly would be LONG RANGE.

Perth is not near the sea, it's in the Highlands.

Oh, is that Tartan you have as your Avatar? DOUBLE FAIL!!

N

ROFL! No, Blair Atholl is 50 miles to the sea in any direction (be it Atlantic, or North). Unfortunately, even though the distances seem *very* short by our standards, it still takes a long time to get places. Traveling from our home base in Pitlochry to Castle Eilean Donan on the West Coast was only about 70 miles as the crow flies. As the Team cars drove, it was around a 5 hour drive!

Even at it's narrowest (Firth of Forth to the Firth of Clyde), a linear distance of ~35 miles, can take 1.5 hours to drive, more if the traffic is bad.

Darrell

Can you tell me what kind of accuracy you're getting with the F/TR?

Zack,

I won't take a load to a big international or national level match unless it can put together a 5 shot group at 300 yards under 1", preferably under .75". To be fair, these groups are always shot first thing in the morning, before any wind and mirage build up. The groups are also always shot prone, off a bipod.

It is possible that I could get smaller groups, if I looked solely at group size, unfortunately, shooting out past 1200 yards, I have to weigh the best group I can find within a muzzle velocity spread that I can accept (read: fast).

Don't ask me what sort of time I devote to reloading!!
grin.gif

Hope this helps,

Darrell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zack,

I won't take a load to a big international or national level match unless it can put together a 5 shot group at 300 yards under 1", preferably under .75". To be fair, these groups are always shot first thing in the morning, before any wind and mirage build up. The groups are also always shot prone, off a bipod.

It is possible that I could get smaller groups, if I looked solely at group size, unfortunately, shooting out past 1200 yards, I have to weigh the best group I can find within a muzzle velocity spread that I can accept (read: fast).

Don't ask me what sort of time I devote to reloading!!
grin.gif

Hope this helps,

Darrell </div></div>

Thanks for your response! I only ask because I have an F/TR .308 on the way, and I was curious what accuracy I could expect from it. You've obviously done your reloading homework!

Btw, I was fortunate enough to visit Ireland for a couple weeks. It is, by far, the most beautiful corner of the world! Where exactly are the Ireland National Championships hosted?

Catch ya later.

Hey Zack,

The range we shot at is their excellent new 1200 yard range (Midlands National Shooting Center), just outside Tullamore. Strongly recommend it!

Darrell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darrell Buell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Zack,

The range we shot at is their excellent new 1200 yard range (Midlands National Shooting Center), just outside Tullamore. Strongly recommend it!

Darrell </div></div>

As tempting as it may be, don't shoot one of them sheep if you spot one down range!

As tempting as it may be, don't shoot one of them sheep if you spot one down range!

LOL! Not too much danger of sheep downrange there, the range is carved out of an old peat bog. The firing points have been planted with grass, but the rest of the countryside is pure black peat... makes for some insane mirage!!

A couple more pictures added:

The full USA Team on the beach at Dollymount Strand (site of the 1875 Creedmoor Cup Match

A closer look at the new Creedmoor Cup

Nice looking weapon, sweet looking trophy...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Paduan Learner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Caeli</div><div class="ubbcode-body">long range shooting in Scotland, so, were you shooting from the North Sea over to a target on the Atlantic shoreline or was it the other way around? </div></div>

Geography; FAIL!

Shooting from the North Sea to the Atlantic truly would be LONG RANGE.

Perth is not near the sea, it's in the Highlands.

Oh, is that Tartan you have as your Avatar? DOUBLE FAIL!!

N </div></div>

It's called a joke. Not only is that a tartan, that is my clan's tartan. Twat.

Thanks for the info but I kinda knew that. The original intent was for it to be a joke for everyone who has spent any time in the UK to laugh at, not lecture me on my supposed lack of knowledge of geography...

Also, cool sticker on the stock, nice to see someone who isn't a jarhead. (NOTE: this is also a joke, I don't dislike Marines)