• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308win Bartlein 5R vs Krieger 4 Groove Accuracy Testing

If one follows the barrel makers lineage it seems to all lead back to 'Boots' who I think employed Krieger initially until he branched out on his own.

Krieger never worked for Boots. Some how that myth/misconception was created over time it seems like. John told me that himself when I worked for him that he never worked for Boots. The only advice Boots ever gave John was to watch how the bore reamers where ground and the finish it left in the bore.

Boots also told John about an auction coming up years ago. About a drill, reamer and rifling machine that would be up for sale. When John wanted to try rifling/making his own gun barrels. At the time it was called Krieger Mfg. in Butler, WI and it was John‘s fathers general machine shop. Never did anything with gun barrels. That’s how Krieger started. John also showed me his first years in business tax paperwork. First year was 1982 if I remember correctly.

Mostly John and Boots where shooting buddies but they never worked together per say.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Last edited:
Frank, thank you for taking the time to clarify that John never worked for 'Boots' and I say that in all sincerity.

About the time I started shooting High Power (which was nearly 4 decades ago) I was quite naive to say the least but had the good fortune to befriend 4 individuals who for whatever reason took pity on this wretch of a shooter and took me under their wing. They were about 10 years older than me and maybe looked upon me as the 'kid brother'. One of those persons had a 'FFL' and and I found myself included in a variety of 'group purchases' that eased the financial burden of a sport that seemed to have a voracious appetite when it came to plowing through my meager pay check.

I am forever indebted to "Coach and the Three Stooges" as they called themselves back then, and saddened that two of the four have passed. At the onset of our friendship and my desire to shoot Highpower they said I could accompany them to 'a couple of matches' to observe and see what it all entailed. Before my first 'observation match' they took me aside and said to me, straight faced "keep your ears and eyes open and your mouth shut". and I complied. Because of that I probably perpetuated the myth/misconception as I avoided engaging 'Boots' or 'Jack' in a conversation when I began shooting Highpower.

From my first recollection of seeing 'Boots' and 'Jack' on the same range there seemed to be this symbiotic relationship between the two. Any question as to who they were I think was met with something like 'don't trouble them' or 'they are too busy to be bothered with your questions' or 'those are some of the best barrel makes around' etc, etc.

For quite a time I thought they were both very straight laced and did not kibitz with them but that all changed after a couple of matches at Eau Claire. A brassiere, duck call and pickelhaube came into play (though not all on the same relay) but those stories are probably best saved till later.

Last edited:
Reactions: bpd459 and Baron23