• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308win powder choices

6MT

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2014
ITU Zone 2
I am in the process of changing out the barrel on my .308win target rifle. My bullet choice is the Berger 185gr Juggernaught. I am leaning towards using Varget. But I would like to know what others are using with the medium heavies (180-190gr class bullets). I have read that some other popular choices are RE-15, RL-15, N-150, N-550, IMR-4064, IMR-4895, and BLC-2.

I will be throating the chamber to have between .168" and .170" free bore. Most likely, my jump will be .010" off the lands. So with Lapua brass, there will be plenty of capacity for a fast node charge. And the barrel will be finished at 28", so I am interested what kind of speeds I will achieve at 800 to 1100 metres above sea level (my elevation above sea level I mostly shoot at). The barrel is a Krieger 17 Heavy Varmint contour (MTU) 1:9".

So, please chime in on your powder choice and why you chose that. And what results you obtained with your set-up.

Right now I’m between tac, cfe-223, and n550 for powder choices. CFE-223 seems to be leading the pack followed by ramshot tac and vv n550, but I think n550 is better suited for 150-168gr range.

I like Varget, I shoot more Reloader 15, but that is because last time I needed powder Varget was unavailable and RL-15 was was there. I shoot 175 and 168 class bullets though.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
@supercorndogs Any issues with RL-15 and large temperature swings ? Contemplating switching from Varget to use some old stock RL-15 jn my Three-oh-hate..

Thanks

RL-15 is not as temp stable as Varget. I haven't shot the combo enough past 600 to have reliable data on dope change with temp. I have been told about 1-1.5fps per degree in change from 50 degrees up.

Reactions: DIBBS
Shooting Reloader 15 in temps from 45 degrees to 90 degrees, I found that the velocity change was about 1.2 fps per degree F of temp change and when I input that modeling into my Kestrel Elite, it accurately predicts trajectory to the farthest distance at my local range, about 900 yds.

Varget is a great goto for the 168, 175 stuff. Over that weight I find 2000mr performance to be superior

Reactions: Stevo86
I use N150 with the 168 HTBT. Apparently, people use it for heavy bullets too. I would think it would be too slow or require a long COAL but I have not seen any data.

Last edited by a moderator:
+3 for 4064. I shoot 41.7 under a 178 and 42.8 under a 168 from a AR10 (16 in barrel) using Starline small primer brass. Averaging about 2370 fps for the 178 and 2450 for the 168 with little variation due to temps.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Yup. I recently went back to IMR 4064 from varget. Could never get the same accuracy or consistency from varget that 4064 gets me.

175's with 42.~ grains of IMR4064 or N140 works wonders in my gun. Smallest groups (not by much) were with N140.

Thank you to all who chimed in. I decided to give IMR-4064 a try. And at least part of my decision was because I could actually find it to buy. Man, powder is scarce in these unprecedented times in Canada.

Went to the getting place, none of my choices were available. Did manage to walk out with a pound of varget, I feel pretty special.

Good choice with the 4064. That and VV N140 are almost always available somewhere.

I don't even bother trying to develop loads for Varget anymore, the supply is just not reliable.

Reactions: Phattmatt1000
So here in Canada, it sounds like the same shortages are happening as in the States. Varget has been unobtanium now for around a year. There's lots of choices out there. I found 24# of IMR-4064, so I jumped at the chance. You just don't know when more of that (or anything else) will be available.

My supply of Varget is down to my last 8 pounder. Time to move on. Not by choice, but because of the lack of supply. I wonder if the makers of powder are listening...

210 M primers
185 Juggernauts
Lapua brass
43.8-44.0 Varget
.017” off the lands
2650 fps in my 28” F/TR gun
2590 fps in my M24 Krieger 24”
Shoots 1/8-1/4 moa @200 yards.

I use IMR 4895. There may be better powders out there but I have a lot of 4895, more than I will be able to burn in my remaining lifetime.
I also use it for .223/5.56 and have one rifle that will shoot bugholes with it where the other powders that are more "This is the best shit." according to popular belief do not compare.
Years ago I bought it when it was cheap, and I got a hella deal on it, and stacked it deep.
Not saying it is the best in the west but am saying, Find something that works well for you and stock up. Then these shortages don't bother YOU a bit, and NO, none of it is For Sale.

Reactions: camocorvette
I use IMR 4895. There may be better powders out there but I have a lot of 4895, more than I will be able to burn in my remaining lifetime.
I also use it for .223/5.56 and have one rifle that will shoot bugholes with it where the other powders that are more "This is the best shit." according to popular belief do not compare.
Years ago I bought it when it was cheap, and I got a hella deal on it, and stacked it deep.
Not saying it is the best in the west but am saying, Find something that works well for you and stock up. Then these shortages don't bother YOU a bit, and NO, none of it is For Sale.
Yep bought a ton also years ago. Shoots lights out in my match service rifle and my space gun. Strange almost the exact loads in each. (y)

Reactions: Foul Mike
4895 is a very versatile powder that loads a lot of different rounds and most won't be the best nor the worst but it gets the job done, however, there is always one rifle or another that that it is the only thing you will load for it. {My bolt .223} and 1 AR for example.
When you look at a burn rate chart it will usually be right in there in the range you are looking for on many different rounds other than larger capacity magnums that need slower shit. That is why you buy RL 23 when you find it and I have plenty of that too, and like it.
Not the best, but not the worst and I have plenty of it.
Now is not a good time to be looking for any reloading components, be it powder, primers or projectiles. Everything seems to be in short supply right now, whatever you are looking for and if you find it you will pay high for what you do find.

This whole bin of shit comes to you from FUDD Central.

You know,--- that OLD Fartknocker Fudd, who shoots 3-6 times a week and doesn't worry about where his next round is coming from. Stupid Old Fudd.

Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder could see this coming on and so did a few other Fudds that are out there shooting while you try to figure out how it is done.

I have two standard match loads that work for me:

1. 42.2 gr IMR 4064 in Lapua .308 brass with WLR primers and a 175gr SMK
2. either 41.5 gr Norma 203B or 42.0 gr RL 15 in Lapua .308 brass with WLR primers and 168rg SMK

They both shoot extremely well. I have recently made up some H4895 loads with both 168gr and 175gr SMK bulletsbut have not yet tested them.

Harry

++IMR 4064 & RE15, AR-COMP & N540 work well. 175 SMK, very jump tolerant, shoots great from my M-24. I get lower SD/ES using BR-2 primers.

I have about 10 lbs of RL 15 I want to work up a load for. I used Varget and h4895 when I could get it more consistently.

I got better speed with Alliant 2000-MR than with Varget for the 185 Jugs. Very consistent 2650 from a 23" barrel. I heard about it from Frank awhile back. Awesome groups won't use anything other for the Jugs. 155-168-175 I use Varget. Lapua brass and jump tolerant.

Reactions: redleg1013
Varget would be the first choice. It seems to be the most consistent and temperature resistant.

Reloader 15, 4064, H4895 are also classic reliable choices, perhaps slightly slower burning.

You will have to experiment and find which powders works best with your components and barrel.

It's good to have at least a few top powder choices/loads worked up because often your #1 favorite powder will not be available.

Where I live in S.C., we don’t get extremely cold temps and I am rarely in them if we do.

RE15 is my predominant favorite due to availability but accuracy and speed wise, nothing has come close to 2000MR with 168gr BTHP. This is with a 16.5” and 20” R700

CFE223 or 2000MR
Frank talked about this on the podcast a while back.

Last edited:
I really feel for the new shooters just staring out, it is Slim Pickins out there.
I went to the local shop where I pick up things that I don't order in bulk online and was amazed at how little he had.
I have known him for many years so we always shoot the shit a bit and he told me all about how many back-orders he has and how long they have been going on. I spend plenty of money with him but do order in bulk online also.

It might be best for a new shooter starting out to try and hook up with an Old Fudd in the area and see if Fudd won't supply a little powder of various types for you to try. I do that for new shooters in my area.

Once you find what you want to load, then go on your search and hope it is not unobtanianium. FM

I'm getting 2707 with the 195tmk with cfe 223. This is very close to 2000MR if it isn't the same with a decoppering agent added. It will also make the 150 lehigh run 3030 in a 26" Rock Creek with ease. I am running that bullet with RL15 now since I have alot of it.
W/Rl 15 I can keep in my velocity node by .3 grains more or less than the optimum @40 degrees every 15 degrees. Meaning 55 I drop .3 graind and 25 I add .3 etc etc. It can go from a .2moa to .4 or .5moa My barrel node was .8 grains showing 12fps then it jumped 55-60fps
This is with both the 168 and 175smk. I have been on a 168 kick for awhile now because I would like to shoot them up I have lots that go back to the late 70's