• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308Win with 210SMKs?

One-Eyed Jack

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2004
Minden, NV
I'm trying to decide on the chambering for my next rifle and find myself thinking about shooting 210SMKs. I think this requires a 10" twist, and I could revert to 175SMKs if the heavier bullets fail to perform.

Is anyone shooting 210SMKs? If so, what rifle, barrel and barrel are you using and how well do these Sierras perform at 1kyd? Would 300WinMag be a better chambering for 210SMKs?

Re: 308Win with 210SMKs?

i am shooting 208 amaxes at 2575 fps. using a trued rem 700 action and a stock remington barrel that was set back when the action was trued and cut with a match reamer. then length was cut to 22" it is a 1-10 twist. it is 3/4-1 MOA all day long and at 1000 i need 32 MOA of up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> recoil is not bad at all especially compared to my 338 lapua. </div></div>

Ya think???
smile.gif

Why? What gain is there using this heavy a projectile when the smaller ones are "better" at the longer ranges?

It's like the .223. Running 90's over long ranges gains nothing due to the lower speed. Unless there is specific reason to run the 210's you are better off using them in something that can drive them fast enough to make a difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why? What gain is there using this heavy a projectile when the smaller ones are "better" at the longer ranges?

It's like the .223. Running 90's over long ranges gains nothing due to the lower speed. Unless there is specific reason to run the 210's you are better off using them in something that can drive them fast enough to make a difference. </div></div>

the BC of these bullets makes all the difference in the world for wind calls. We all agree that distance to target is pretty straight forward, its the wind at long ranges that kills. Id rather have a in a 308win a.649 bc bullet going 2550-2600 fps then a .410 bc bullet going 2900. It makes wind calls less critical.

I would have to say that he is correct on the heavy in the .308.

I would have agreed with AUJohn until i actually ran the numbers on jbm myself. the difference between the New 155 palma and the 175smk is one inch at 1200 (155@2900, 175@2750 10mph cross wind) but compared to the 210smk (@2550) there was a huge difference in the wind in the way of 37" with only 16 more inches of drop.

Nathan

OEJ,

Been running the 210 JLKs in my .308 for two years now in a factory Remington .308. The main reason is the 155s didn't work worth a flip, plus they had about a quarter inch jump to the lands. The Sierra 210s wouldn't fit in the case without a .100" jump. I get about the same performance at 1k as the guys shooting the 155s, but my X count is a little higher. Rob01 and several others have a lot of posts on using the 208 AMAX, you may wish to look at those as well.

HTH,
DocB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why? What gain is there using this heavy a projectile when the smaller ones are "better" at the longer ranges?

It's like the .223. Running 90's over long ranges gains nothing due to the lower speed. Unless there is specific reason to run the 210's you are better off using them in something that can drive them fast enough to make a difference. </div></div>

It's all in the wind like others said. I was out some time back with another shooter using 155 Scenars and I with 208amax's. I needed only 1moa left for the wind at 800 yards to his 3.5-4moa wind. The wind was being quite tricky, and difficult to read, but the heavy bullets made it easier.

You also get a lot more downrange energy with the heavier bullets. If you are shooting steel, it's nice to have a lot more thump the farther you shoot.

Branden

Been thinking of trying the 208 amax's myself. I just bought some for my 300 rum and will work up a couple of loads for the 308. Anybody have any loads for the 308 with 208 amaxs? My book doesn't have anything for them. I use 210 fed match and wolf primer with varget. Anything would be good.

I don't know what powders you have, or want to use, but there are a LOT of us on here that are getting great results using RL17 powder. I use 48.0gr in a Lapua case but it's seated LONG, almost 3.0" COAL, there are some using upwards of 51.0gr in Win brass seated long. I have to check my load data, but I started at 45.0gr I believe and started my way up from there. Each rifle is different, you just have to find what your rifle likes.

Branden