• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .30cal can, 6mm bullet...

JRose

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Back in BHam!!!
Is there any ill effects from shooting a 6, or 6.5mm bullet through a .30cal can? Does it negatively affect accuracy? Velocity?

Re: .30cal can, 6mm bullet...

No negative affects.

The sound suppression will not be as good as with a dedicated 6mm can. I shoot my .243 thru my .308 can regularly.

Drive on.

I'm sure the couple of decibel difference will not matter, mostly concerned about accuracy. I don't feel like it SHOULD matter, then again, don't know for sure...

Thanks Roy.

I shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor through my .308 can all the time.

I think that it's actually quieter on my 6.5 than on my 308.

I do it all the time.

No harm to accuracy that I can see.

I've gone so far as to shoot 22LR from a 50 cal diameter can that has an internal volume made for 45-70. Not as quiet as the proper baffle size, but it works fine and is much quieter than un'canned.

No accuracy or velocity issues with 30 cal lead from the same can.

I bet you can't tell on the sound.

I use my 308 AAC Cyclone on my AR-15 16" barrel and don't need hearing protection... (Unless under a covered firing point), and it's just fine on both my M700s 260 Rem. 26" barrel, and my M700 308 with the 24" barrel