• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 30mm ring questions

Savage-10FP

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2007
Tracy, Ca
Hi Everyone,
I am a newbie so dont beat me up to bad for asking a question. I did use the search button and found some answers but just wanted to verify with you all.
I just purchased a rifle from a member on this board.Its a remington 700P in a AIC 1.0 stock. It has a badger 20MOA base.I am planning on purchasing a wotac 4-14x50 gen 4 when they hopfully come out later this week. My question to you all is about the scope rings. I have only used the Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings on another rifle once. Seemed pretty good. I was thinking about going with a set of those. I also seen the seekins. I like the wide look of both the rings. My budget it 100 bucks so I am open to any recomendations. The other thing is with this setup I have seen some use low rings and medium rings. Any opinions. I was thinking low rings but could use some advice. Thanks for your help.
Brian.
Here is a pic of the rifle I purchased.
AICS.jpg

Re: 30mm ring questions

Nice rifle. I would put a nicer scope on it than a WOTAC. The Falcon Menace would be a better option in the same price range.

The Burris XTR 30mm Low rings will be just right for a 50mm scope.

GC

For a nice rig like that I would definitely get either the Badger Ordinance USMC M40A3 or MAX 50 scope rings. Both pares come with 30mm to 1 inch ring reducers if you need them. The MAX 50's are going to run you about $173 if you get them direct from Badger. The fact that you have an Accuracy International stock leads me to believe that you didn't cut corners on your rifle system so definitely don't cut corners with your rings or optics and like Max100 suggested definitely get a better scope.

Actually, I just received my new Accuracy International AE Mk2 today and I'm thinking of going with the MAX 50's over the factory AI scope mount although the MAX 50's are $20 more.

Out of curiosity what is a ball park figure you paid for your rifle ? And how much are those 10 round mags for that stock and are they made by AI as well ? If I were to go with the Remington 700 platform I would get exactly what you got.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. You know I was looking at these this evening. I have made purchases in the past to save money and I regret it everytime. I am going to order a set of these.
Max-50 Scope Ring
Standard Height
Height 0.823’’, diameter 30mm
P/N 306-11
These should be the steel ones.
This is my first real target rifle so I want to make it pretty decent. I am a poor man so its going to take some time to get some really nice optics. But for now. I have to find a scope in the 400 range.Then I will save for something else.
I have had some reccomend these in this price range I can afford. What are your guys thoughts.
Wotac
Falcon
Super Sniper 10X
I paid 1200 for the rifle. Heres the link.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1289144#Post1289144

Hey good choice on the rings, they are totally appropriate for your set up. But just so you know I think the Max 50 30mm rings are made of alloy.

I don't know about the scopes you mentioned but when you get to the point to where you can spend a little money on a scope then I suggest you take a look at the Zeiss Conquest line, preferably the 6.5-20 by 50 mm with target turrets and side paralex adjustment. I bought one last November 08 with a standard Z plex reticle for $850 new but now days there about $1000. But its a lot of scope for the money. You could very easily spend far more on a scope than you have on your rifle so the Conquest seems to be priced at the threshold of expensive but doable. So far it has served me well on my Steyr SSG P2K but now I'm switching it over to an Accuracy International AE Mk 2. Its still a toss up between the factory AI scope mount or the Max 50's.

I know how it is to be a poor man and still want to shoot nice gear. You are definitely on the right track with the rig you have.

Thanks for the price on the 700.

If that's all you can afford right now I would get the Burris XTR rings and put the money saved towards a better scope.

Burris XTR rings are excellent for the money. I use them on my rifles and I don't have to. Lap them if they need it.

GC

What caliber is that AICS/Rem combo? Appears to be a SA. If it's a .308 there is no reason to spend the extra $$ on Max 50's. Save a bit without sacrificing quality and strength and get the standard Badger rings. All my rifles wear Badger metal and my .300 WM's do just fine with the standard rings and everything torqued to spec. Max 50's on a .308 or similar recoiling rifle are way over kill.