• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 30mm to 1" ring inserts??

Pbailey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Oregon
Here's my dilemma...I currently have a Nikon with a 1" tube that I want to put on my Savage, but in a couple months, I am switching over to a 30mm Vortex Viper.

The Nikon currently resides on my AR, in a pair of tall rings. I mounted it on the savage but I could not get any cheek weld at all, and I lost a boat load of adjustment. I do not want to buy 2 sets of rings, and I have heard of rings inserts before, so I am wondering if there are any good ones around that you would recommend, or not?

I am either going to buy the Burris XTR rings, or the DNZ mount which I like because I would not have to do any lapping. I am actually leaning towards the DNZ, but am wondering if I will have enough adjustment out to 800-1000 yards, without it having a canted base?

So I guess there are 2 questions:

Can you recommend any good ring inserts? for the XTR and DNZ rings?

AND- if I go with the DNZ mount, as opposed to a 20 moa base, will I have enough adjustment to get to 1000 yards with the vortex viper 6.5-20x50?

Thanks!

Re: 30mm to 1" ring inserts??

I have a Savage .308 FCP-K and I put a rail on it so I could move scopes on and off. I use the Aadmount 20 moa base on it. Jon makes those in 30 mm but I whined a lot and he produced some inserts for a 1" scope. I have no idea if that is a product yet, but they work great for me. You might drop him a note. I have DNZ mounts also, but they are not as sturdy as the Aadmount. In fact, I don't know of any other mounts as sturdy or as good at returning to zero when you swap them around.

I used some inserts from Larue Tactical to get me through a hunting season. They worked well and had no change of impact.

I have the Larue, and they work great. I believe they were around 30.00 new. At that price they are nice to have around, but you may find a used set of 1" rings for that price.