• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 32MM scopes for hunting with low light?

Re: 32MM scopes for hunting with low light?

The extra light gathering is really hard to contend with.

I've hunted with my 50's and the 32 as well as shooting at a night matches relatively often. There's no comparison in the clarity at dusk.

I've had a Swarovski Z6i in the 1-6 and 1.7-10. They were the most impressive pieces of glass I have owned in terms of low light performance. I also have a NF 2.5-10x32. And I have no issues in low light. I've used it in low light to the point that if it did not have an illuminated reticle, I could not have taken the shot.

I was very much able to identify the points on the buck that I was about to take. It was on 8x and the deer was 110 yards away against a treeline with about 10 does. It was easily 30-40 minutes after the sun was below the trees and dark enough that I needed a flashlight to see to walk. The scope was able to manage enough light for me to see the animals clearly.

I think alot of folks under estimate the 32mm objective on the Nightforce. Folks also are under the impression that scopes gather light. Not quite so....they manage light.

I know it’s not the same, but I have used 28mm, 32mm and 36mm on pistol scopes for deer hunting for years. These are burris and weaver variety. Never had a problem seeing the deer during legal hunting hours (30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset here in Michigan) But I have had issues making out the reticle. Illumination would solve that. FWIW I hunt in a dark woods so when its 30 minutes after sunset in the open fields it is all most black in the woods.

In low light, the 32mm NF performs reasonably well if the power is at 5x or less (allowing a 6mm to 7mm exit pupil, which is the max size that the human eye can use).

Power for max light transmission=objective size divided by 7mm. This explains why higher-end fixed-power hunting scopes are often 6x42mm and 8x56mm. Larger objectives are not needed because the human eye can not handle more light than a 7mm exit pupil. 7mm is the largest that most peoples pupil can dilate to.

Assuming all else being equal (regarding scope quality), a 42mm objective will allow use of 6x power with max light transmission, a 50mm will allow use of 7x+, and a 56mm can go to 8x. Thus, whether a quality 32mm scope will serve you well depends somewhat on length of expected shots and how much magnification power is needed.

Scope / build / glass quality affects light transmission, so a good 32mm scope might transmit more light than a lesser quality 40mm. The NF makes the most of 32mm, but it's still a 32mm scope.

I have a 2-7x33 Leupold LX-R 30mm tube with ill German #4 fire dot reticle and it is outstanding. With the ill reticle and the thick outer crosshairs in the # 4 reticle the only ill part is a dot in the middle of the thin portion of the reticle.

Also have 2 Minox 1.5-8x32 with the Schmidt and Bender style #9 reticle basically a #4 with a circle around the thin cross hair part and it is very good also. I really like the Minox huge field of view on the bottom and 8x to reach out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In low light, the 32mm NF performs reasonably well if the power is at 5x or less (allowing a 6mm to 7mm exit pupil, which is the max size that the human eye can use).

Exit pupil=objective size divided by 7mm. This explains why higher-end fixed-power hunting scopes are often 6x42mm and 8x56mm. Larger objectives are not needed because the human eye can not handle more light than a 7mm exit pupil. 7mm is the largest that most peoples pupil can dilate to.

Assuming all else being equal (regarding scope quality), a 42mm objective will allow use of 6x power with max light transmission, a 50mm will allow use of 7x+, and a 56mm can go to 8x. Thus, whether a quality 32mm scope will serve you well depends somewhat on length of expected shots and how much magnification power is needed.

Scope / build / glass quality affects light transmission, so a good 32mm scope might transmit more light than a lesser quality 40mm. The NF makes the most of 32mm, but it's still a 32mm scope. </div></div>Good post ^

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In low light, the 32mm NF performs reasonably well if the power is at 5x or less (allowing a 6mm to 7mm exit pupil, which is the max size that the human eye can use).

Power for max light transmission=objective size divided by 7mm. This explains why higher-end fixed-power hunting scopes are often 6x42mm and 8x56mm. Larger objectives are not needed because the human eye can not handle more light than a 7mm exit pupil. 7mm is the largest that most peoples pupil can dilate to.

Scope / build / glass quality affects light transmission, so a good 32mm scope might transmit more light than a lesser quality 40mm. The NF makes the most of 32mm, but it's still a 32mm scope. </div></div>Good post ^ </div></div>

I edited the formula in the second paragraph to be more accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drifter_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In low light, the 32mm NF performs reasonably well if the power is at 5x or less (allowing a 6mm to 7mm exit pupil, which is the max size that the human eye can use).
</div></div>

Mine works fine on 6x until the end of legal shooting light 30 minutes after sunset. It's also nice to be able to decrease the (red) illumination of the reticle as the light decreases. The lower settings will make the reticle visible without interferring with your vision.

A 32mm gets you to 5x or 6x power for best low-light performance. Stepping up to a 56mm provides only 2x or 3x more usable power. It's up to the individual user on whether the extra performance, cost, bulk, and weight of larger objectives is justified for their particular application.

Good comments. Turn down your magnification to get better low-light visibility and get some illumination. Then, small obj will work.