• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.33 Nosler or .338wm. for ELR?

Jscb1b

Dumbass.
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
Arizona
Is anyone using these cartridges for ELR? Why and why not?

338WM is less ideal than 300WM. Just heavier slower less BCcartridges. Maybe you mean 338Laua Magnum? 300WM with 225 ELD's pushing at 2836fps can go a mile no problem.

33 Nosler seems more suited to hunters, YMMV

PB

Reactions: 338dude and Jscb1b
Any reason for those two cartridges specifically? Generally you don't see 338WM just because there are better options; 338 Lapua being most notable. It simply cannot push high enough bc bullets at the velocities needed to be of very much use. For sake of comparison, with a 250gr partition (Hornady's reloading data), you're looking at around 2600fps for WM vs 2800fps for Lapua. It's not uncommon to see weights in the 275-300gr range for LM either, and bc is king when you're talking distance. Quickly plugging it in shows the following data: 338WM, supersonic to 1300 yards, come up at 1750 +97.70 MOA; 338 LM, supersonic to 1400 yards, come up at 1750 +82.38 MOA (almost 22ft less vertical drop). Just plugging in numbers, take it as you will. But that's my take. Hope it helps

Reactions: 338dude and Jscb1b
Bolt face is the reason. I've got a r700 7mm RM. I'm looking at going the remage route for barrels.

Reactions: jasent
Nosler claims the .33 to be 25fps faster than the lapua. But I would be looking at buying or renting a reamer and headspace gauges. Or sending the barrel to someone that has them. Then there is brass.

Top Load, single feed, or detachable mag?
Ultra Mag case family for max powder capacity on that bolt head. ADG brass.
What about 340 Weatherby as another option?

Reactions: Jscb1b
DBM. The ultra mag looks good. I'll look for pre fit availability.

So I lied about the. 33 nosler pre fit. McGowan can make them. Same for the .338 ultra mag. NSS does not offer them.

Reactions: Hyperionx92
I’ve had great results with McGowen barrels! They shoot great! Adg makes edge brass. Also 338 rum but you’ll be happier with the edge imo
Also you can order a prefit unchambered and have Shawn carlok do a plus p edge. Defensive edge

im not the expert but the 338 lapua based magazines seemed a little short for the ultra mags true potential.
Looking online at people running hogged out internal mags and loading to 4.0 coal with 30 inch barrels and it’s mighty impressive for that standard mag bolt face.

On the topic of big magazines. Weatherby did a custom of sorts at one time with their 6.5-300 in dbm form. Long sucker that was proprietary as they said.
Then there’s the one they had for the TRR 338-378 with that open slot in the side.

I was thinking a 26 inch barrel. Would a 30 inch barrel be able to use the case volume better?

338WM with chamber set up specifically for 250 or 300 Berger hybrid, will do better than when loaded 3.370” OAL to fit Win 70 mag box.
Ideal ELR round? No.
Need to look at some data, extrapolate for a properly configured chamber.

Looking at prices for barrels and gauges, I'm thinking the savage 112 target might be the way to go. Keep the information coming.

Any reason for those two cartridges specifically? Generally you don't see 338WM just because there are better options; 338 Lapua being most notable. It simply cannot push high enough bc bullets at the velocities needed to be of very much use. For sake of comparison, with a 250gr partition (Hornady's reloading data), you're looking at around 2600fps for WM vs 2800fps for Lapua. It's not uncommon to see weights in the 275-300gr range for LM either, and bc is king when you're talking distance. Quickly plugging it in shows the following data: 338WM, supersonic to 1300 yards, come up at 1750 +97.70 MOA; 338 LM, supersonic to 1400 yards, come up at 1750 +82.38 MOA (almost 22ft less vertical drop). Just plugging in numbers, take it as you will. But that's my take. Hope it helps
I hand load and shoot a 338 Lapua and those numbers are very conservative

Reactions: paulwardd
Nosler claims the .33 to be 25fps faster than the lapua. But I would be looking at buying or renting a reamer and headspace gauges. Or sending the barrel to someone that has them. Then there is brass.
25 ft./s is not worth the added expense and difficulty locating brass for the Nosler Lapua brass is much cheaper and more readily available

2A028A84-AFCB-4E1B-9BD4-9FB456EF410C.jpeg
I have ran a 250 grain projectile up to 3100 ft./s but do not attempt this it was A very hot load always work up and if you’re going to be swapping barrels etc. savage is a decent platform to start with I am running a 28 inch BARTLEIN with a 9.3 twistATTACH=full]7369612[/ATTACH]

Reactions: paulwardd
View attachment 7369612I have ran a 250 grain projectile up to 3100 ft./s but do not attempt this it was A very hot load always work up and if you’re going to be swapping barrels etc. savage is a decent platform to start with I am running a 28 inch BARTLEIN with a 9.3 twistATTACH=full]7369612[/ATTACH]
What is your rifle weight and is that a stock brake?

As far as the break that is a terminator T4 I’m not sure if the weight I Only have a bathroom scale let me Weigh it and I will get back to youTo start off it was a savage 110 FCP

Approximately 16 pounds roughly I weighed myself on my bathroom scale held the rifle and Re-checked my weight

I shoot a 338win Mag. 230gr eld-x with 4350 running 2905-2910fps for my barrel node. Can go up to 3000fps without pressure. RL19 I can push to 3100fps without pressure but is a compressed load. Many elk have never got up with that round during hunting season, and during off season, the steel swing back and forth past 1000 yards.

The short answer is. Lack of excellent brass at good price for both.

Don't over look 338lm ai

Reactions: 338dude
I know I'm late to the thread, but I built this 33 Nosler Howa out of a M1500 338 Win Mag I had bought. Main reason was that I hated shooting it with the shorter pencil barrel because it wanted to jump up too much and was unbalanced especially with the almost nonexistent recoil pad(got scoped a couple of times).

I ended up ordering the 28" Remington sendero contour barrel in 33 nosler from Mcgowen with the howage barrel nut and wrench on last year's black Friday special. Got the headspace gauges from Pacific tool and gauge

Main reason for 33 nosler was that I didn't want to modify the action or bolt along with the inlet in the stock to make an Edge or RUM work in it. I did have to open the barrel channel a good bit so it would fit and removed the old recoil pad and installed a new one, but that was all. Earlier I was getting 3025 fps with the 225gr nosler E-tip with 84 gr 4831sc. Should have some 265gr ABLR coming soon and see what they yield.
The dies and cases I get from Grafs since they have the "bulk" unprimed 33 nosler 50 cases for $70 vs the ready to fire at 25 for $73. The bulk you just have to resize and check length before you load them up. So far everything I've loaded has been sub moa at the most but still have some testing to do.

IMG_20200227_215559.jpg
IMG_20200227_220012.jpg
IMG_20201213_132540.jpg

In a regular magnum bolt face the 338 edge is the clear winner IMHO. If you decide to go smaller than a 338RUM then your simply better off dropping to a 30 cal, 7mm, or even a 6.5 to try and pull off ELR shooting.

Reactions: Hyperionx92