• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 build

oneshotkyle

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2011
central oregon
i getting ready to purchase a barrel for a 338edge build. strictly bench gun. barrel must finish at 30. i have the option for a brux amu or a bartlein 1.350. which would you choose and why. thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Re: 338 build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would choose the one that is spelled wrong... cause that is how I roll ! </div></div>

fixed for ya.lol. is a bartlein gonna be a faster barrel?

Go 1.350. For a bench gun you won't be moving around, the added weight will help with the recoil.

Ive used both quite a few times, honestly cant tell the difference if it didnt say their name on the end. Ive had probably an equal amount of Brux and Bartlein that, when dialed in for chambering, have less than 0.030" runout at the muzzle. Which, for the uninitiated, is an extremely straight bore.

i will be using a remington action.

i am trying to figure out which single shot chassis to use. i am looking at a pdc or mcree non folder in single shot. kinda thinking about the benchrest style forend. and always looking at other options.

I'm running a 30" Benchmark 1:9.4 barrel on my .338 Edge in a manners T4. I wouldn't be concerned with the manufacturer of the barrel as much as I would be about the twist rate. 9.4 seems to be perfect for the 300gr pills or a 1:10 for the 250's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xXlojackXx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm running a 30" Benchmark 1:9.4 barrel on my .338 Edge in a manners T4. I wouldn't be concerned with the manufacturer of the barrel as much as I would be about the twist rate. 9.4 seems to be perfect for the 300gr pills or a 1:10 for the 250's. </div></div>

bartein is a 1 in 9.3 i believe so i should be good there. with the amu contoured barrel i have got a 40moa nightforce base. i have a 5.5-22x50 nightforce to put on it. how tall of rings will i need. what height will keep my objective as close to barrel as possible..

barrel has showed up. wow. very nice. i ordered a painkiller brake today and im about settled on trying a pdc custom chassis in single shot just to try one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshotkyle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel has showed up. wow. very nice.</div></div>

How did you order and receive a barrel in a week!?! Good luck with your project, and let us know how it goes.

bughole's had in stock. +1 for them
anyone have an amu contour barrel with NF 40moa base. what height rings did you use for a 50mm NF objective.
rings,trigger and machine worrk is all that's left.

thanks travis. but today i broke down and ordered a nightforce 5-25x56 atacr. lol. now i will start looking at 34mm rings.

no expense spared on this one.

list of parts so far:
remington long action
bartlein 31"amu 1 in 9.3
pdc custom chassis(bright red)
black egro palmshelf
NF 40 moa base
shilen trigger
painkiller brake
surgeon bolt knob
NF 5-25x56 ATACR

i am gonna go nightforce 6 screw on the rings, just gotta figure out the correct height with 40moa base,amu barrel and 56mm objective.
i like the scope as close as possible. anyone have a simular setup with ring height info?

rings figured out and i ordered some 6screw 1.125 nightforce ones. headed out to the garage to start sizing up 200 new brass tonight too. everything is coming together smoothly so far.

sent my action,barrel,bolt knob and painkiller brake off on march the 6th. it arrived at longriflesinc on the 15th i believe. got the call tonight that it was done and ready to be shipped in the morning. wow, 6 day turnaround? simply unbelievable that anyone can give that kinda turn around on a full custom build when supplied the part's. props to any one that can put rifle's out that fast. the work done includes:
thread crow chamber in 338 edge
action blueprint
tig/time bolt handle
flut bolt
install side bolt release
base holes to 8-40 screws
fit supplied bolt knob
cerakote and return to me.....
pic's to come next week upon arrival. i am still waiting for my pdc custom chassis and nightforce atacr. and i can't wait

for your viewing pleasure. now just waiting on the stock and scope.......i hate waiting
338edge.jpg

Attachments

• 338edge.jpg
    338edge.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 338 edge brake.jpg
    338 edge brake.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 338 edge long.jpg
    338 edge long.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Really, REALLY like that pain killer brake. Was thinking fat bastard for my 338 build but worried it wouldn't reduce recoil enough. That one looks like its ready to take on a 50cal!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Looks good man. Mine is about a month from completion. I like that you went with an unusual color

really looks like competion orange from the old muscle car days. i am more than happy with it. 3 guy's from the range today only stopped to see what the hell it was.lol

Really, REALLY like that pain killer brake. Was thinking fat bastard for my 338 build but worried it wouldn't reduce recoil enough. That one looks like its ready to take on a 50cal!

ya the brake was overkill but this thing kicks like a 223 now. i have shot a 338 edge with a fatbastard brake and i would have used one but was already going over the top with this build so i thought what the heck. kirby says the brake is rated for 130g an up. im gonna be low 90's. it's about the size of a pack of cigarettes.lol

got out an did a 600yd ladder test today. shot charges from 90.5-94.0g H1000 93.0,93.5 and 94.0g were 2.5 inches center to center, so at this point it's a .41moa rifle shooting 3 different charges. lol. never did get any pressure signs at 94.0g so tomorrow i will go back out an shoot another ladder from 93.0-96.0g and see what's up.

shot 94.0-96.0g 600yd ladder test today and i think i found another node at 94.5-95.5g. 94.5 and 95.0 went into the same hole, with 95.5g within 1 1/2 vertically. velocities at and over 3000fps with small signs of primer flattening and no heavy bolt lift. just got back and already have loads from 94.0-95.5g ready to shoot some 600yd longdistance group's next week. i wish i didnt have to work tomorrow.

If I could push a 300 Hybrid 3000 FPS, I would be looking for a place to shoot 2200 yards. That's just awesome.

nothin like having 30 inches of bartlein to help. ya the first node was 2920's for velocity and this second node i believe i found was 3040fps and the my chrono died on me. wtf. shit never fails. i was more than happy with the 2920fps node but the 3000 plus was tighter verticaly so i'll just start there and see.

Nice rifle! I have an Edge that LongRifles Inc did for me as well, I also found 3040fps with the 300gr to be a sweet spot. I am curious what your COAL is? I seem to be hovering right around 4.005". Also, what primer are you using?

Nice rifle! I have an Edge that LongRifles Inc did for me as well, I also found 3040fps with the 300gr to be a sweet spot. I am curious what your COAL is? I seem to be hovering right around 4.005". Also, what primer are you using?

rem brass
federal large magnum
94.0g H1000
seated to 3.960 oal, just touching the land's
and it seems to really like the 2936fps average im getting now so i'll shoot it there