• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 338 bullets?

little__georges

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2008
Sweden
What do you guys use/recommend?

I want a high bc bullet, most expanding bullets like nosler,barnes! No match bullets...

Will be for moose hunting

Thank you for helping me out.

Re: 338 bullets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: little__georges</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wrong section or what? </div></div>

We just like 'match' bullets...they do work.

Are you shooting a Lapua or Win Mag? Try Sierra 300 gr match kings. They work well.
Guther

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: little__georges</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wrong section or what? </div></div>

We just like 'match' bullets...they do work. </div></div>

+1 lol

Ok thank you guys, guess I have to fuck the law then
wink.gif
!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lone_soldier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for 300 grain SMK's i wish berger would start making a 300grain VLD

</div></div>

Hunting VLD would probably destroy an animal. The 300 SMK does wonders, and it's a target bullet.

Hard to beat a 210 grain Nosler Partition for a moose!!

bore tec 245 grain, very high bc and wont come apart. i doubt you would be able to recover that bullet from even 600 yards if driven above 2,800 fps

225, or 250 Nosler Accubond. High BC, bonded core. Hard to beat. I've only recoverd 1, & that was a dead on spine hit @ over 200 yds.

Yes. the Accubond is a bonded ballistic tip. They open up good. I'll see what I can do for a pic.

Here is a pic of the bullet. Sory for the quality. My other camera does macro, but I can't find the cable to download it from that one.
Bullet.jpg

Moose aren't hard to hit and you'll do no better than an X. Pass on the AccuBombs.

My preference now is the 250gr Accubond. Huge BC, & I'm sure it will open up just as well as the 225's did, with more energy.
Shoot what your rifle likes, & go with it. Either will kill anything you are liable to point it at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avidelkslayer6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> does anybody know if berger has came out with there 338 vlds.........thanks </div></div>

Talked with Berger at SHOT. Looking Q2

From 0-800meters or as long as I´m feel comfordable to... Don´t know if that info was useble but hope so?

Well i would go 225tsx for the speed to make bullet work. I do not know if you will have the speed at 800 meters it is marginal. It is IMHO the best hunting bullet out there up to 600-700 yards.

I've shot elk, moose, deer, caribou, black bear, eland, kudu, gemsbok, heaps of impala, leopard, waterbuck, springbok, warthog, bushbuck, wildebeast, and I'm sure a bunch more with the 225 Accubond out of either a 338 Lapua, a 338 RUM, or a 338 Edge. For terminal performance at ranges from 20 to 1000 yards+, it works very well, as in perfect mushrooms, good weight retention, and dead animals. I don't really see how a hunting bullet could improve upon it. I've never had that great of luck with any of the Barnes bullets mostly because they just don't seem to shoot as well. That's not to say they wouldn't work and work well. We are fortunate to have lots of great bullets to choose from. I've just had great luck with the 225 Accubond.

Thank you guys for taking your time
smile.gif
! I´m going to buy some AB and Tsx and look which will be most accurate and choose from there I think

As big as a Moose is, I would want maximum penetration. The Barnes will retain close to 100% of its weight, which should translate into good penetration.

Berger is supposed to have 250gr and 300gr pills out by the end of the year? Who knows?

Make sure you seet the tsx barnes at least 50 thousands off lands.