• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 EDGE 2000 yard shot video

Re: .338 EDGE 2000 yard shot video

nice! I am excited to get out and exercise my Edge on camera as well-do you remember your comeup/environmentals for that shot?

Yes, The baro was 24.66. Temp 50F. Humidity 20. Wind was 2MPH from 3 o'clock. I dialed .5 MOA left for wind, spin drift and coriolis, and 71.75 up.

Impressive. That's a long way once the camera gets all the way zoomed out. I'm gonna build an Edge next year I hope.

I have been building one on a savage target action for a while now. This video makes me want it done! Nice shot also

How can that not make you smile. 1k is impressive to anyone that has ever actually done it. Its such a common reference point that until you are standing at the zero looking down range its hard to describe. 2k is unfathomable. great shooting. thanks for the share.

Songdog:
I am in the process of putting a 338 RUM together on the same action. I have all of the parts but started having second thoughts when I looked at the thickness of the receiver walls of the ring. I am interested in your thoughts and or experience with a cartridge the size of the Edge on this action. Thanks.

Tommy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommy Two Dogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Songdog:
I am in the process of putting a 338 RUM together on the same action. I have all of the parts but started having second thoughts when I looked at the thickness of the receiver walls of the ring. I am interested in your thoughts and or experience with a cartridge the size of the Edge on this action. Thanks.

Tommy </div></div>
The .338 EDGE works just fine in that action. It is the biggest round that action will handle. My rifle began life as a 300 ultra PS. If you reload then I would build an edge just to take advantage of a little more case capacity. I have built two edges on a Rem action. The one in the video weighs 18 lbs. It has a 30 inch Broughton barrel. My other one was 13 lbs with scope and bipod and it had a 30 inch Brux sendero contour. It shot good but left some pretty good bruises on your shoulder if you shot it too much. Let me know if you have any questions about your build.

Great shot
I shoot a 338 LM.
I have shot to 2000 yards with it but used up all the elevation on my scope and had to hold 1 mil more over target in order to have enough elevation.
I use 300 grain SMK bullet with 2875 fps
I was shooting at 3,000 ft altitude.what bullets do you use and what velocities do you get on chronograph with 338 edge and how does it compare with the 300 RUM?

I'm shooting the 300 SMK at 2850 FPS. I am using a NF 5.5-22x50 with a 40 MOA rail to get enough travel to do it.

Thats pretty cool, I wish I did not sell my edge now!

The 338 EDGE is a fun round for sure ...

Nice shooting

Nice. What did u use to gather your range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R&K Hunting Co</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. What did u use to gather your range? </div></div>
I used a Swarovski LG. I was able to pick up the rock face in the evening and I put a stake in the ground for the 2000 yard mark since I shoot here alot. I have also ranged it with my Wild rangefinder and it will read pretty close but not close enough to make a shot like that.

How do like the Swro & what other range finders have you used beyond 1000?

The Swaro is probably the best one for most people but if you plan on shooting past 1500 yards regularly then I would get the Vectronix Terrapin.

my two cents is go Vectronix if you want to range reliably past 1000. From my limited usage of Zeiss, Swaro and Bushnell they cannot be counted on to always produce a range much past 1000 unless the lighting conditions are perfect. Esp for small or low reflectivity targets.

Have you personally used the Vectronix? Also have you used the G-7?

I haven't used the vectronix but I am going to buy one soon. I haven't used the G7 either but it sounds like its rangeing capability is about the same as the Swaro. Also it only calculates ballistics out to 1400 yards so it would be useless to me. The Swaro and the G7 aren't in the same league as the vectronix but I would stick with the Swaro if I couldn't get a Vectronix.

here ya go 338reasons... 4 days left
grin.gif

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3020592#Post3020592

I have a G7 & I like its ranging capability above Swro, Leica, Zeiss. The software out to 1400 is great and so far has been spot on. That being said I would only give it 2.5 out of 5 stars and I won't go into detail why.. I will be talking to Aaron and Mike about Improvements shortly... The Vectronix deal is tempting.

R&K, you want to meet me half way sometime, be more than happy to let you look at my PLRF05... Just showed today and it is incredible.

Run more with it tomorrow in daylight. Under dim light, just hit water tower at 2897 yards... corrals at 1876 yards under the barn light.

Pretty impressed !

I trust you guys that it's a great range finder. I'm going to call tomarrow and check on the other models first.

My single biggest peeve with the non Vectro units was inability to range a IPSC steel target at one mile, during strong sunlight interference. The Vectro does it first time every time, in fact it seems good out to past 2000 yards, no matter what the lighting conditions are. That's crucial for ELR. With favourable lighting conditions like partly cloudy or at dawn/dusk, it will measure reliably out to 4000-5000 yards which can be useful for designing ELR ranges.

IMO cali_tz is spot on regarding the Vectronix, by far the best range finders I have used. If you have the need, they are well worth the money. Pure Swiss quality.

yup.. just got back in. Incredible to say the least !

Very happy with the PLRF05
grin.gif

Hit 24" diameter steel at 2200 perfect in partly cloudy skies. Hit Antelope at 1836, 1754, and 1958.

Take it out calling this week. Gonna be the real test for me. Hit a coyote sized target at 700 to 1300 in sage and grass slopes and hills. Hope it shows up my Leica BRF's by a long shot ! They fail to do this at 600 and 700 sometimes trouble at 500 to 600 if slope and lighting are wrong.

Will report back !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikeb11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is this taken up by utah lake? </div></div>
It is not.

my edge is on its way and this stuff makes waiting suck even worse