• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 338 edge build

outlaw81

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2011
SE OK
I've built numerous rifles over the years and I'm about to start a 338 edge. I would like to hear yalls experience with the round and its possibilities. I'm going with a 30" Hart or Lilia on my surgeon XL. If anyones built this weapon before please chime in. I always love to hear others opinions before I start a project. Ill be chambering it for 300 gr smks.

Re: 338 edge build

Best bet is to head over to long range hunting forums and search there. Or search here on that caliber.

From what I understand, it is a great long range caliber for deer, elk, and bear. I have an issue with using SMK's for ethical hunting bullets. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I have seen videos too. But I just don't see it as a good big game bullet, but YMMV.

Enjoy!

I have been shooting and hunting (Elk) for 4 years now with my Edge. I have also built 1/2 dozen for friends. we all shoot the 300 SMK. The last 4 years I have hunted Elk I have taken 4 bulls. They ranged from 210 yards to last years 655 yards. I can tell you this, All the elk died in their tracks. We all shoot at a 1000 yard range and it's not that hard to hold just under a MOA in very stiff winds. You will notice that the primer pockets start becoming lose around the 3rd. reload. We shoot our loads right at 2900 FPS. We all use H1000 powder and CCI primers. IMO you can't go wrong with the Edge.
Good luck with your build

Wayne

I really like mine. H1000 and 300gr. SMK's
Guns1039.jpg

Good God! You shoot that thing without a brake?!!! How hard does it kick?

The edge is a great round but has no worthwhile advantage over the 338 ultra.My 30 inch barreled edge runs 300 gr smk at 2850. My 338 ultra with a 26 inch barrel runs the same bullet at 2775 with a 26 inch barrel.So with the same barrel length they are about dead even.

What is everyone running for powder amounts in each case for their Edge loads?

Ive got almost everything but a press to start loading. Would like a starting point
smile.gif

Seem like 92.5 of H1000 is popular under the 300gr SMK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is everyone running for powder amounts in each case for their Edge loads?

Ive got almost everything but a press to start loading. Would like a starting point
smile.gif

Seem like 92.5 of H1000 is popular under the 300gr SMK </div></div>

I'd start around 87 in 1/2 grain incrments to find pressure. I run 91.3 in mine with federal mag primers. I have 10 loads on my brass but, the primer pockets are loose after 3 loads. I seat my primer and then rap the case rim on my wood loading bench to make sure they stay in.

My build recomendation is to skip any idea of running a dbm system. Build a single shot.