• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 edge, lapua or RUM?

rem sendero

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2011
colorado
www.hawkinsprecision.com
I am in the process of building a 338 caliber rifle, and I want to get the best performance for my money. if anyone has done all of the research between these 3 cases I would love your input on the subject. My bolt face is already compatible with the edge and RUM. How much do the dies for the Edge cost?

Re: 338 edge, lapua or RUM?

EDGE!

Cheaper brass, comparable and/or better velocity over the Lapua and the RUM and you already have the action. You can use standard RCBS .338 RUM dies for $35 or less. What more do you want?

I say Lapua for the brass quality. 2850fps w/ 300SMKs is attainable with 28-30" barrel.

I shoot a 338 Lapua Improved. I would go with a 338 Edge for a everyday shooter.

Cheaper brass, but correct me if Im wrong but the Edge is a much much higher pressure round, so Id guess you would get less than half the life of a LM case.

It does lend itself to a budget cartridge though in the fact that you can easily build one off a standard action.

Dies are a wash, Lapua mag dies dont cost any more than any others.

Bullets wash.

Powder wash.

Brass price is the big hurdle to get over with the LM, but if you find once fired for $1.00-1.50 case, and you can use it 15 times its not too bad.

Obviously you CAN make any of them as accurate as the other, the LM has however proven itself enough to be widely used by military's all over.

I was in this position last year, ended up going 338 LM. Now I didn't have any of the parts like you do so that will make a difference. I liked the fact that I could buy factory ammo if I wanted to and I felt that in a more standard caliber it would be worth more if I ever wanted to sell it. Would like to try the others but since I didn't have any 338 guns I wanted to start with a LM first.

I went with the Edge, mainly because I already had a Rem700 long action I was going to use as a base for the project. Ended up going with a custom action, but already had the stock ordered... so was kind of stuck with R700 footprint at that point (went Surgeon RLR).

If I were starting all over I would personally go 338 Lapua, probably on a Defiance action. Performance wise I don't think it would do anything my Edge won't, but it would be nice to have a "factory" chambering and better brass. Lapua is already being used by different militaries, and is probably going to get more popular / prevalent if anything.

I would not go straight 338 RUM.

I was looking at a 338 Win Mag, why is a RUM better/worse? I still may go with a 300 Win Mag though. Apologies for Hijacking your thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uafgrad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338 Norma Mag? </div></div>
He knows where it's at

Edge or rum are a better fit in a rem action,lapua has better brass.Case capacity only differs 3-4% so performance will be about the same with the edge having possibly a 1% velocity advantage.

I was in the same spot and after doing a lot of research I went with the 338 RUM. I am only giving up about 100fps to the edge or Lapua so it is not a huge deal. The only thing is the 338 rum brass is seasonal so when it come out buy a bunch of it.

Ive got 338 LM rifles currently, had a 338 EDGE and sold it because it was a single shot. I missed it so Im having GAP build me one.

I shoot the RUM, & I agree with the above posts, the RUM cartridges will work better in the Rem action. The Edge will offer more availability as far as brass goes, the RUM brass is getting REALLY hard to find, as said before. Nosler is supposed to be releasing it (at high cost), the RUM will allow you to seat your bullets out farther (which is useful in AI mags).

The EDGE and LM will run the same velocity as stated above. The LM will do it at a slightly reduced pressure. Even though the LM has a greater case capacity, it won't get you to the next accuracy node so it's a wash.

I currently have 9 loadings on my EDGE brass and will probably recycle them at 10. I'm getting 2860fps with 300 SMK's using 91.3 gr of H1000. I see no need to try and get another 50fps out of it as it shoots well there.

If you were going the full custom route, I'd suggest the LM or NM based on resale value alone. If you want to stick with the action you currently have, build an EDGE. Make it a single shot as well and get the chamber properly throated for the 300 SMK's. I'd look into RETUMBO powder if you're gonna run a long single shot.

I've been very pleased with the performance of my EDGE and wish I'd gone the single shot route. Live and learn.

I built an edge and haven't regretted it. I am getting 2950 fps on the 300 smk's out of a 30" tube, and have not yet worn out my original set of Remington brass (6x fired). I built it on a Rem700 / 300 RUM action with a Pac-Nor barrel and it's pretty sweet. As far as velocity goes it's pretty much a wash with the 338LM depending on the barrel and load it likes. For every person swearing 338LM shoots faster there's one swearing that, in fact, the Edge does.

I resize (neck + bump shoulder) using the RCBS 338 RUM dies backed out the appropriate amount, and have not had any problems with that set-up yet.

The 338LM is also a good choice but it takes a more dedicated and special action to build one on. I don't understand why someone would go for a 338 RUM when the Edge is available and just as easy to build and get components for. Balls to the wall is balls to the wall, if you want the ballistics of a big 338 then just go the distance and build one. If you want a 338 for hunting or general mid-range use then a 338WM is probably a better choice for both your wallet and your shoulder.

Muzzle brake + double-hearing protection is a must if you plan to shoot any of them very much.

From what I know, which is very little, is that the AI 338 mags, were designed for the 338LM...... the 338 EDGE or NM should all fit in the same mag... Ace doesn't seem to have a problem running the EDGE out of an AICS mag

I'm having GAP build me a 338LM that will be throated to 3.80" OAL with 300 SMK using Seekins DBM. I wanted to allow room for Berger hybrids as well. I will be running a 30" Rock tube that should get me to 2850 pretty easily.