• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report 338 edge vs 7mm ultra (at sea no data) help

ean anderson

Private
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2011
Utah, Bering Sea
I am in the berring sea fishing and have been racking my brain on the next caliber to build my next long range gun from. I have the remington sendero 7mm ultra mag and a custom 338-378 ackley improved but want a custom rifle built on a BAT action. the computers block all my attempts to find info on the data. I want to shoot at ranges from 600 to 1200 yards. I have set my mind on the 338 edge shooting the 300 grain sierra matchking or the 300 grain berger vld, or the 7mm ultra mag shooting the 180 grain sierra matchking or the 180 grain berger vld. my question is shooting with a 30 inch barrel and the speed on the 338 edge will being in the range of 2850 fps and the 7mm ultra mag will be in the range of 3300 fps (I think based on my other guns), will the wind drift and the drop of the round (all other external effects being the same) be better with the 338 edge or the 7mm ultra. (Does weight and BC beat speed and BC?) I know the barrel life will be limited to about 1000 to 1500 rounds for the rifles but dont care too much. I want a round with the best ability of the first round hit being better than most. also what rate of twists do I need for the 338 edge 300 grain combo and the 7mm ultra mag 180 grn combo. Or does anybody think of a better caliber/bullet that is up to the task. since I am on the boat for more than half the year I cant shoot it as much as I would like that is why I am asking this question.

Re: 338 edge vs 7mm ultra (at sea no data) help

If you're just after 1200yd performance the 3300fps load in the 7mm RUM will beat the 338 Edge on targets in terms of drop; but the wind drift will be a wash between them.

Full value Wind @ 10mph, 1200yd in 175 SMK 3300fps = 75.1", ~6.0 MOA

Full value Wind @ 10mph, 1200yd in 300 SMK 2850fps = 77.1", ~ 6.1 MOA

The barrel life on the 338 Edge will be substantially better than the 7 RUM. The 300 RUM is good for appx 500-800 rounds. Great hunting caliber, but a poor choice for a target rifle that will see a lot of rounds unless you like your target rifles like a ducati.

Looks nice, but spends more time in the shop than the field.

A nice round to shoot with still reasonable barrel life is a 7 WSM with the 180 class bullets.

For a 7mm a 8.5-8.7tw will be a good choice; for the 338's a 9.3-9.5tw will be a good choice.

Both are fine calibers but you have to decide what you're going to be doing with it. Like mentioned above, at 1200yds they have similar wind drift (advantage Edge), but the Edge has nearly double the energy at the cost of about 6moa worth of extra drop. My choice would be Edge as I've never seen another caliber that is so forgiving. It doesn't really seem to matter what you throw down the tube, everything seems to shoot well.

what about the 7mm SAUM. I know it is slower but more forgiving. what is your take on that cal. I have not shot the 7mm wsm.

I have seen it said that you should be able to get around 1200 rnd's out of the 338 edge , can any of you guy's comment on that ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen it said that you should be able to get around 1200 rnd's out of the 338 edge , can any of you guy's comment on that ?

</div></div>

you should be able to get between 1500-2000 rounds out of a 338 edge.

i want a 338 edge. best for me.