• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Federal

bdw0469

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
NY
I've been doing some searching around about this round. Most of the forums are from 2010. I'm thinking about buying an AR10 338 federal. Anybody using it? Pros Cons? My intended purpose is for elk out to 600yrds. I already have a 7mm mag bolt gun that Jared built for me. I'm just looking for a walking around gun that I can make a quick shot if need be. As well as put a hurting on some coyote. Thank you in advance for your time and info.

Re: 338 Federal

The 338 Federal is by no means a 600 yard cartridge. If that's your criteria for this rifle, then this round would be a mistake. Good round, and a real thumper at shorter ranges, but it's at it's best with lighter bullets (215-225 grains) rather than the 250s or 300s that serve the long range need.

Would 308 be a better option? My goal is for a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel. I have my bolt gun for longer range work. Even if the range was 400 and in, I would be happy. I was looking at the 338 federal because Federal's web site is claiming some decent energy numbers out to 500. Pretty close to my 7mag. I have a few months before I have to make a move one way or the other. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The 308 would be a better choice for that sort of range, but you're working some very difficult combinations here; long (mid, actually) range and a very short barrel. These two just don't play well together. All comes down to a matter of expansion ratio, and the fact that you're giving up a ton of velocity when the barrels start getting this short. Just a matter of physics and interior ballistics.

I'd think about this a little more. You've got the 7mm Mag, and that's already a better answer to this sort of question than anything you're going to find in an SBR AR platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 338 Federal is by no means a 600 yard cartridge. If that's your criteria for this rifle, then this round would be a mistake. Good round, and a real thumper at shorter ranges, but it's at it's best with lighter bullets (215-225 grains) rather than the 250s or 300s that serve the long range need. </div></div>

Well these once was this D46 in more than one weight... sure worked nicely out to distance.
wink.gif

But that wasn't .338.

I've been doing research on this for a few months too. The quick pro/con list I've generated is:

Pro-
Great terminal performance at close range (338 is kind of a magic number for elk)
Most 338 fed bullets ar better in the wind than standard hunting weight 308 bullets (that's been my comparison cartridge)
Supposed to be a very efficient cartridge (no personal exp yet)
At typical 338 fed velocities softer/cheaper bullets don't blow up like they do in magnums- and partitions will open up nicely down to 1600fps.
Factory ammo (210 fusions) is affordable, effective, accurate
Uncommon chambering- not many folks know much about 338 federal

Con-
Limited range of bullets that work well- not a ton of load info out there
600 is pushing it- seems like 500 is a more reasonable max for elk
Seems to be some feeding issues with some ar10 platforms in 338 fed
Factory ammo isn't real common
Uncommon chambering- not many folks know much about 338 federal

I ended up finding a screaming deal on a 308, so I'm playing around with heavy bullets in it first, but an AR10 in 338fed is definitely on my list (probably second on the list after a super light 7DComp).

Keep in mind that 338 federal is not anything like the bigger 338's as far as velocity and it wont throw the real heavy efficient bullets so it really does not compare there.

Also keep in mind that shot out of the armalite it will not match the velocities of a 24" bolt gun. Shorten the barrel to 16 or under and it becomes even slower and the comparison to 308 gets closer and closer.

No question that frontal mass plays a role in killing. I have thought that a 16-18" AR10 in 358 would be a great brush gun. I almost had one built until I remembered that I dont hunt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin Thomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 338 Federal is by no means a 600 yard cartridge. If that's your criteria for this rifle, then this round would be a mistake. Good round, and a real thumper at shorter ranges, but it's at it's best with lighter bullets (215-225 grains) rather than the 250s or 300s that serve the long range need. </div></div>

Well of course he could move to the Lapua 338.
smile.gif

That's something for 2013 or 2014. I am curious.

PS don't sweat the D46's.... a friend from the teams is going to let me filch some. Everyone only lists the Normal BT these days anyway.

Built mine as a sub 500 bear/elk knocker, hoping to shrug off a little wind and light foliage. I went with the Armalite 22" however to try and keep velocities up. Been using 185's for deer, and 210's for bear/elk, still working up the loads but getting nice results. If only this year hadn't been a blank for animals, i could have attested to its knock down.

Nice shooter, easily uses 308 brass run through a 338f die, and is a barrel away from swapping to 308 if it doesn't do what you ask of it.

Thank you for the input. I would be willing to go to 18 inches for barrel. I'm trying to keep weight to a minimum. I'm will be going with this caliber as soon as all these shenanigans are over.

**I do see that DPMS offers it in 20 inch and still comes in at 8lbs. I think that is reasonable.

Built mine as a sub 500 bear/elk knocker, hoping to shrug off a little wind and light foliage. I went with the Armalite 22" however to try and keep velocities up. Been using 185's for deer, and 210's for bear/elk, still working up the loads but getting nice results. If only this year hadn't been a blank for animals, i could have attested to its knock down.

Nice shooter, easily uses 308 brass run through a 338f die, and is a barrel away from swapping to 308 if it doesn't do what you ask of it.

How are you liking your 338 fed after a year posting this? thinking of making a 16.5 338 fed

I wonder how this cartridge would work out on a suppressed SBR using the heavier bullets... Sort of like the 300 blk of the large-framed ARs...

Just a random thought that crossed my mind :)

I've been toying with the idea of subtonic 300gr out of a 338 fed. I'm sure somebody has done it. With a BC over .800 its hilarious to look at the energy on the ballistic calc out past 300 yards; it sure doesn't taper off much. Probably not a whole lot of reason though, beyond what a 300 BLK can do for subs, other than when throwing supers in there it is a much more formidable big game slayer. Would need a odd-ball larger bore can too instead of just an SDN6 or Phantom setup. It seems to be an efficient cartridge though, maybe second only to 358 Win.

Collecting parts to build AR 338 Federal now:
*JP Rifles 18" bbl and BCG
Adj Gas block
MegaArms keymod matched set
Geiselle SSD Enhanced
Haven't settled on a scope yet , given limited range, probably a 1x6 of sorts.
Plan to run with an AAC Titan QD,

Will keep informed

I wonder how this cartridge would work out on a suppressed SBR using the heavier bullets... Sort of like the 300 blk of the large-framed ARs...

Just a random thought that crossed my mind :)

I looked into that idea for a while. If you're going to shoot 338 caliber subs out of an AR, 338 Spectre is probably what you're looking for, and you won't need a large frame AR. 338 Fed has a lot more case capacity than you need which makes handloading subs trickier.

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but one of these days I'm going to put together a 338 Spectre.