• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

338 in 20" barrel

I've been running an 18" for about a year and for me it starts to max out around 1500 yards. Beyond that groups start to open up too much, either with 250s or 300s, which is why I use a longer barrel for ELR distances. The short barrel is fantastic for shooting out to 1000m in high wind compared to say a .308WIN or 6.5mm as well is being compact and lighter weight to lug around in the mountains.

I have an AIAX with 20" bartlein barrel it. W/ 285 hornady ammo i can get to 1600m with just the elevation adjustment. Longest shot i've hit is 1800m, it took a few hits to get how much i needed to hold over. I would not try to go past that.

Biggest thing i've found reloading for it, is not wasting powder. I can cut back 2-3gr depending on which powder I use.

Anyone shooting 338 with a barrel this short? Not sure what 338 will do past a mile with a 20"

Any thoughts or experience appreciated.
In a course with Lowlight this summer, one student shot a 338LM, with a barrel of roughly that length, with a can. It seemed like an inefficient use of the chambering to me. From what I recall, his windage holds weren't much different than mine with a 26" barrel 6.5 Creedmoor. At least out to the 1150 yards that we shot.

FYI, on the second day his 338LM blew the out housing of his can down range 150-ish yards, producing enough recoil to break the student's collar bone. Lowlight stated that this was not the first report of short-ish 338LM barrels not playing well with a that brand of suppressor.

i would like to know what brand of suppressor the student was using
Based on Frank's discussions, this isn't the first time it has happened with this brand and model of can, with short-ish 338LM barrels.

I have great respect for this specific brand and model of can -- it's on my short list for an upcoming purchase. It's my understanding that both the core and outer housing of that can were returned to the manufacturer for evaluation. I will not discuss the manufacturer, as I believe they should have the first right to evaluate, and if necessary, revise their design.

Bottom line -- I don't think a shorter barrel, 338LM chambering, and a suppressor go together.

Every action produces an equal, opposite reaction. Cut the barrel short, expect unburned powder out the front.

Doesn't matter what kind of can he was using. It's a known, bonehead-move in the long run with a 338. If a suppressor DOES handle it for a while, that suppressor will be screaming for you to STOP IT each time you pull the trigger.

Not a gamble I'm willing to take, suppressors being so hard to own.