• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

338 lapua 300gr SMK too fast?

Beale338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2009
B.C. Canada
Was doing a load development today with 300gr SMK's and Retumbo and found at only 92gr of retumbo I was pushing 2860fps.
Is this too fast? I have a 28" 1/10 twist barrel and the only pressure signs I can see are slight ejector rings on the brass.
Thanks for your input.

Beale.

Re: 338 lapua 300gr SMK too fast?

Ya sorry! It is a kmw sentinel with a PGW timberwolf action, the barrel is a krieger and I am using Lapua brass and GM215M primers.

I don't think so. I'm shooting a 28" Rock 10 twist. 91gr H1000, 300SMK, CCI 250 right at 2800. No pressure signs at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beale338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Was doing a load development today with 300gr SMK's and Retumbo and found at only 92gr of retumbo I was pushing 2860fps.
Is this too fast? I have a 28" 1/10 twist barrel and the only pressure signs I can see are slight ejector rings on the brass.
Thanks for your input.

Beale.

</div></div>

I think that the original spec for the 338LM out of a 27" tube was 2950 for a 250gr tip and 2800 fps for the 300gr tip. This was years back, so with the advent of better powders and out of a 28" tube, 2860 fps isn't 'oh my God, what are you doing' type territory.

Chris

The reason I thought this was getting in the danger zone is that any more powder than 92gr my velocity starts to drop. Is this a sign of over pressure? Should I back it off a few more grains?

I'm getting 2860fps with 300gr scenars and Retumbo without any pressure problems..28" Bartlein 1-9.7" 5R.

Your load doesnt sound out of the ordinary..

What kind of chrono? I ask because I had a Shooting Chrony Beta that read about 5% too fast at any velocity. All three of the calibers I load for were suspiciously fast so I rented a CED from a LGS, which confirmed my suspicions.

if you are getting ejector rings then consider ti max in your rifle you might want to drop it doen .5 to a grain to make sure it s OK. if it is dropping off in velocity with an increase in powder you have hit MAX if you ad powder and dont get more velocity in that barrel you are realy approaching a dnagerous situation going higher that is how rifles show they have achieve dhter max burn rate for load combo and it is always wise to stay a bit below the max pressure i would just drop it a little and se how it shoots but with a 28" barrel you should be around the right velocity and Retumbo is one of the best powders for the 300gr projectiles.

I am using a Beta Master for a chrony. I will have to compare it to another and see if it is off. Thanks for the info.

Beale