• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua Ackley Imp

mmtuning

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2009
Coshocton Ohio
Hello all,
I have a longshot rifles .338 lapua with ackley improved shoulder and was wondering what load info if any you can provide to make it work smoother. Wanting to start reloading as my factory ammo is getting too expensive to shoot regularly. Also, it was reamed with a Pacific Reamer and was wondering if anyone knows where to get an affordable set of custom dies? Thanks for your input in advance.

Re: .338 Lapua Ackley Imp

I had Redding make mine off of the reamer print I sent them. Then I bought a 338Lapua Comp seating die and sent it to the smith that built the gun and he ran the reamer thru the sleeve on the comp seater which turned it into a 338Lap AI comp seater. Plan on waiting a good 3months to get your dies from Redding because that's about how long it took me to get mine.

What do you plan on shooting for bullets in you 338Lap AI.?? Most are shooting the 300SMK with Retumbo, Ramshot Magnum, H1000, RL25 and US869. These are the most widely used powders for the 300gr. bullets with Retumbo probably being the most popular. After you have a formed case/s starting somewhere around 95gr of Retumbo W/300SMK and working up from there would be a good starting point.

I had excellent results with my 338 Lapua Imp. using 300gr. SMK's, Rem. 9 1/2Magnum primers & Vit 24N41. Other powders that worked well RL25 & Retumbo
Semper Fi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,
Also, it was reamed with a Pacific Reamer and was wondering if anyone knows where to get an affordable set of custom dies? Thanks for your input in advance. </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Contact Neil Jones, first class dies, and don't think he will</span> take 3 months.
Dave</span>

http://www.neiljones.com/html/full_length_sizing_dies.html

CH4D He has some in stock right now. I just got my set in last week. If you have a copy of the reamer print he will check it to make sure. From what I understand there has been more than one variation come out of PTG all with the 40 degree ackley name. Just suttle differences. I am fireforming brass as we speak. I reamed a chamber in a moc shotgun shell I made from barrel steel. Put a cream of wheat loaded round in and fire away out of the old junk 12 gauge. No heat, no projos, no miles on the barrel you paid good money for. I can just sit in the yard making cream of wheat and TP confetti. I get around 90% formed case before I even start on the real barrel.

Jason

Reactions: Farmerbrown32

Samson,
I was thinking Redding or RCBS. I have fireformed about 100 rounds and am planning on shooting 300gr corbon or smk projectiles with Retumbo. What did all the die work cost you?

I had excellent results with H1000 and VHT 170 with my various 338LM rifles including the imp version in the past.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strictlyRUM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CH4D He has some in stock right now. I just got my set in last week. If you have a copy of the reamer print he will check it to make sure. From what I understand there has been more than one variation come out of PTG all with the 40 degree ackley name. Just suttle differences. I am fireforming brass as we speak. I reamed a chamber in a moc shotgun shell I made from barrel steel. Put a cream of wheat loaded round in and fire away out of the old junk 12 gauge. No heat, no projos, no miles on the barrel you paid good money for. I can just sit in the yard making cream of wheat and TP confetti. I get around 90% formed case before I even start on the real barrel.

Jason</div></div>

Jason,
Not quite sure of the procedure your talking of. Can U spell it out for me how it all works and comes tg. Just wanting to make sure Im picking up what you are putting down. I understand the part about ff brass in a demo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave inVa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mmtuning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello all,
Also, it was reamed with a Pacific Reamer and was wondering if anyone knows where to get an affordable set of custom dies? Thanks for your input in advance. </div></div>

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">Contact Neil Jones, first class dies, and don't think he will</span> take 3 months.
Dave</span>

http://www.neiljones.com/html/full_length_sizing_dies.html </div></div>
Thanks Dave,
Was I reading this correctly that he only charges $200! wow. Great Reco!

Redding charged me $280 for a 3 die set and an additional $25 set up fee and out of the kindness of their heart Redding shipped them to me for free. lol

I've never used Neil Jones dies but to do all over again I'm not sure I wouldn't go that route.

When my 338 Imp. was built Redding had me send them 5 fireformed cases which they used to obtain the dimensions to cut my dies. I believe they were about $200 to my door. They claimed that would be far more accurate than cutting them from a print.

My formed load with a 300 SMK is 110 gr of US869 with a CCI #34 primer for a velocity of about 3050fps from a 30" Rock 5R which is providing outstanding accuracy. The #34 primer was chosen after a lengthy conversation with the knowledgable people over at Black Hills. They are providing better accuracy and less velocity spread than a 215M or a WLRM.

Two bills huh? Thats not bad. Anyone in particular to deal with at Redding for the order? I don't mind two bills but RCBS was wanting to charge me 500!!!! This to me is outrageous, especially for a second rate die when compared to sinclair or redding.

My gunsmith is the one who dealt with them and he told me everything was handled through the head engineer at Redding. There were five sets made off of my brass so there may have been a quantity price break. I would contact Reddings customer service and explain what you need and try to speak with him directly if possible.

If you are still looking for a suggested load with a 300 grain projectile, I can tell you when I talked with Greg Tannel of GreyTan, he said start with 95 of Retumbo, work up from there in 1/2 grain increments and hope you hit a great load short of 100 grains. If you do, stop there and be happy. Most any load over 100 grains will still shoot good to great, but eat the throat a lot faster.

Jeffvn

I've had good results with VV N570, but it's hard to find.

My LM isn't AI, but has a very long barrel, 37.75", set up specifically for 300Gr bullets. MV's w/VV N570 are very good (>3000), and 1/2MOA or so accuracy. Settled on best ladder results. Have good loads in the 97+ gr range, but work up carefully. Fired 1 case 9 times to test case life with no issues. All Lapua brass. Careful, have fun.........

I tried H1000(favorite magnum powder)Retumbo,RL25,US869. All with the new hornady 285s. The only problem was the 285s fly so darn good that the ladder tests at 300 didnt tell much. My reloader 25 loads were from 95-101 and the entire test was around 1.25 inches at 300 yards? I just went middle of the road load and it shoots crazy. MV right at 3050 with 97 grains. Keep in mind this is a tight chamber with a defiance super long magnum action. The bolt doesnt flex as much when fired due to the extra meat on the downside lug abudtment. Brass even on the too hot to repeat loads sized like butter! Finally an action that is big enough for the Lapua stuff. My normal loads showed brass preasure signs. Not hard to open the bolt but that is because of the beefy action. I have run 104 grains of retumbo in some setups before, but this one was showing signs and speed at around 100 grains. I am using a 28 inch barrel so the 869 didnt get me speeds I wanted and the H1000 topped out before I got to 2900fps.

Jason

Jason, I may need you to make me one of those
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif