• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua Action question

AfghanDM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2010
Texas
I just sold my Weatherby mk v Lapua and plan to build a custom. I slowly stared picking things up and I’ve got the barrel blank and FTE brake so far.

Which action would you go with? Something robust and reliable as I don’t plan on ever having to part with it..

Thanks in advance!

Dumb question, would I be stuck using their chassis system? I know most stocks can be inletted for what ever but I can’t recall ever seeing an AI in anything but their own chassis.
Also, I did a quick search but didn’t see any. Do you know who sells just the action?

You wouldn't need another chassis when the AXMC action is already mounted in the best chassis around. But no, you can't mount an AXMC is anything else. The package is the package.

If I were going to build a 338LM I'd probably go with a Stiller TAC or Surgeon myself. Tons of other great actions out there also.

I would go with the Curtis custom, with the quick change. This would allow you to replace the barrel without having to use a Gunsmith. They are nice. In reality, any high-end action would do. However I have seen Sako TRG go for 2500-3k That is the route that I went, and I will never look back.

Reactions: AfghanDM
I have used Stiller tac 338 actions in the past. I am a huge proponant of using an oversized action with a 1.35" tennon which the tac338 action is. Bat machine and surgeon also make an oversized action to better handle large mag pressure more safely. That said I sold my last Stiller to get an AXMC and have loved every minute of it.

Reactions: AfghanDM and AIAW
Surgeon XL if you want to go the custom route. Otherwise, like Huskydriver said, get an AXMC and be done with it.

Reactions: AfghanDM
You wouldn't need another chassis when the AXMC action is already mounted in the best chassis around. But no, you can't mount an AXMC is anything else. The package is the package.

If I were going to build a 338LM I'd probably go with a Stiller TAC or Surgeon myself. Tons of other great actions out there also.

Debatable. I personally really dislike the AI chassis's, specifically the ergo's. I much prefer other chassis's, such as JAE's, over AI's.

Reactions: AIAW
Hard to go wrong with a Defiance for this use. You can spec it any way you want. My .300NM build is on a Defiance action, which has had the raceways polished and the action is IonBonded, and is one of the "smoothest" actions out there. I can barely feel a .300NM round being picked up from the mag and placed in the chamber it's so damn smooth.

Surgeon would be another option I would look at as well, but I'm really happy with this Defiance.

Defiance action, JAE chassis and BnA Tacsport trigger has proven to be a damn awesome combo IMO.

IMG_20180725_075949-01.jpeg

Reactions: AfghanDM and AIAW
Debatable. I personally really dislike the AI chassis's, specifically the ergo's. I much prefer other chassis's, such as JAE's, over AI's.

Yeah, chassis' are always in that subjective category. Rightfully so. Could be the most accurate laser in the world mounted in a chassis that you hate but that just isn't going to fly. Hell, it's the reason I don't own a DTA anymore personally.

"If it doesn't fit, it doesn't ship".

You will never have to replace a Surgeon XL. EXTREMELY beefy and with a barrel vise and a proper action wrench you can swap barrels in minutes.

Just had a 300 Norma built on an M2013 Lapua action and I’m really happy with it.