• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .338 Lapua Actions

M_Ingalls

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2012
Denver, CO
www.facebook.com
.338 Lapuua actions? I am starting a build and would like suggestions for an action to start with. I have heard rumors that the Remington MLR has extraction issues?

Also would like thoughts on barrels for the build. I want accuracy for long range shots. I do not want the rifle to weigh a ton, but accept there will be some weight to this rifle.

Re: .338 Lapua Actions

Last one I built was on a Stiller action with a Rock barrel and had no issues with it.

I've used a great variety of actions for the 338LM.

As mentioned, Remmy would be towards the bottom of the list.

Get a Stiller/Borden/Defiance/Bat/Bighorn/Nesika and it'll be smooth sailing.

Good luck.

C.

Chad-

Can you expand on why you would put the 700 at the bottom of the list? Is there a specific issue with the 700 in that caliber?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lw8</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad-

Can you expand on why you would put the 700 at the bottom of the list? Is there a specific issue with the 700 in that caliber? </div></div>

Look at a 338LM bolt face on a 700; it's "barely there". Definitely not the correct size bolt for the cartridge. Also you can run into issues with the 1.06 tenon, which can result in tenon expansion.

It's not that there's anything "wrong" with the 700; it's just too small for the 338LM. A custom in the same dimensions wouldn't work any better; which is why they typically run a larger bolt and larger tenon to accommodate the pressure.

Find a 1917 Enfield Action, cheap and plenty heavy and strong enough.

As stated, the bolt face doesn't lend itself well to a .590" case rim.

As for the threading. Nesika, Dakota Arms, and a number of other manufacturers run a 1.0625 tennon thread with no ill effects. I'm working on a Dakota 76 as we speak chambered in this cartridge. They've been around a long, long time so I think were all pretty safe.

There's a few action makers who don't subscribe to this as the best practice in today's world. I'm sure they have legit reasons, but it's hard to ignore a long historical precedent.

Hope this helped.

C.

I'm just starting a 338 Lapua on a Surgeon action. A BR buddy of mine and I are each building a 600/1K BR rifle to play with. As usual, I'm going for overkill on one, a BIG Surgeon action, with a long Bartlein barrel, and a barrel block.

Heck, shooting it off a bench, and not having to carry it, Make Mine Big.

But also making a 7 WSM too.....just in case I actually want to shoot it someplace other than a bench.