• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua AI Build Advice

surgeon260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2014
Colorado
I am stuck in analysis paralysis and need some expert input on a new build. I want to build a lightweight (within reason) 338 Lapua AI for a dedicated elk hunting rig. I currently shoot this cartridge in a 25lb bench rig and am 100% set on the chambering. Probably shoot a combo of 300 Bergers, 270 Hornady ELDs, and 250 Accubonds. I have the following constraints, but everything else is trade space:

-Action will be Borden Bigfoot Lightweight single shot (1-1/8" tenon)
-Trigger will be a TT, since Borden times for them out of the box
-Barrel will have a TBAC 338BA brake, preferably with 3/4-24 threads
-Scope will be TT315 in Badger rings

What barrel and stock would you choose?

Would you go CF barrel? If so, which one? It seems like there are a dozen different CF barrel makers these days - who is making good 338 barrels? Benchmark? HCA? Carbon6? Bartlein? Proof? What breech diameter would you choose? Is 1.250 enough meat for the 1-1/8 tenon? I haven't seen any CF barrels with a larger breech. What barrel length? Portability is a consideration, but I still want close to maximum performance from N570 and RL33.

Or maybe a fluted steel barrel? Consensus seems to be that the best barrels in the world are solid steel barrels, and Bartlein provides infinite flexibility (e.g. 1.300 breech diameter to better mate with the action).

What about stocks? Manners EH-1 would be super light, but would it be too light? Maybe a Manners PRS to balance better and soak up some recoil? Is there a lightweight chassis I don't know about?

Tell me about your dream lightweight Lapua.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
If you're going to be shooting alot a 26" modbb 1.350" would be my choice from bartlein. Go CF if you need to make weight to be legal depending on your other components. Stocks are a personal preference, so find a couple to try out and go with what fits you and your shooting style the best.