• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua brass

Customizer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2010
Scandinavia
Hi
I am about to start loading for my TRG 338 and from what I have heard the brass from Lapua is the best, but also very expensive where I live.
I can buy brass from Norma for half the money I have to pay for the Lapua, do you think this will be a good compromise ?
Lapua brass is 400$ for 100 pieces and Norma brass is 185 $ for 100 pieces.
Maybe the Lapua brass hold twice as long ?

What do you recomend

John

Re: 338 Lapua brass

I think for that big of a price difference I'd go with the Norma as well.

How many reloads could you expect from the Norma and Lapua brass?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many reloads could you expect from the Norma and Lapua brass? </div></div>

Someone here reported that the neck on Norma brass cracked after 4-6 reloads. I know that Lapua brass are expensive, but there is nothing cheap about the 338LM. I have my Lapua brass on at least over 10-12 reloads and still going strong. So at the end of the day, you may just get what you pay for. Just a thought.

Did a test for my neighbor this past weekend on his LM. One case starting from new, reloaded with 101 grains VV570. First firing expanded at the base .0015. From then through 8 reloads, no additional expansion and primer pockets tight. Need trimming the mouth now to length, but will probably go at least 10-15 loads more with a anneal around #10. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did a test for my neighbor this past weekend on his LM. One case starting from new, reloaded with 101 grains VV570. First firing expanded at the base .0015. From then through 8 reloads, no additional expansion and primer pockets tight. Need trimming the mouth now to length, but will probably go at least 10-15 loads more with a anneal around #10. JMHO </div></div>

Was it the Lapua or Norma brass you were testing ?

I set the Norma brass aside and only use Lapua now. Norma is softer.

Just buy the Lapua. I've gone over 20 reloads and the primer pockets are still tight and no signs of pending head separation.

I've loaded over 6K rounds of 338LM. Seriously, Lapua brass is worth every penny.

If your an experienced hand loader and have a good annealing technique then go with the lapua brass.

If this is your first time, perhaps the norma brass is a good starting point.

Learn how to anneal, and if you screw up a few norma cases no big deal as they are cheaper.

Once you have excellent case preperation technique then try the lapua and stick with it

Thank you all for your advices.

It seems like there are different opinions what way to go (it always is), but since I am no expert yet, I think Norma would be good enaugh for me and this way I can also save some money and spend that on the other stuff I need.
338 LM sure is an expensive beast to feed
cry.gif

Both Norma and Lapua make excellent brass. Have not had any problems with either, but that is with limited reloads (my brass has not been reloaded more than 5 times, but both types of cases have not shown any problems). I believe I sectioned some cases a long time ago, and was impressed with the heavier construction of the Lapua case--especially around the primer pocket. If I were to buy virgin cases now, I would choose Lapua first. By the way, the 338 LM may be expensive to feed, but it sure beats factory loads! Enjoy!