• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua bullet puller

dieselten

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I just picked up some used 338L brass and half of it is loaded with unknown components. I want to break it down but the round is too fat to fit in my RCBS kinetic bullet puller. Any suggestions as to how to pull the bullets without messing them up?

Thanks

I have a few I need to pull as well, so this is a tag, to remind me to check this thread tomorrow.

Lyman makes a magnum kinetic puller that fits the Lapua. I had to pull down some loads I wasn't sure about. It worked great.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Get the Hornady Collet puller with 338 collet and go that route if you have more than a few to do.

I had to wrench one case out of my Midway KP and it brought a tear to my eye.

Chris

I have used my Kenetic puller up to .270, but when my .338 rounds wouldn't fit I went with a collet puller. Much quicker, not to mention quieter!

Lyman makes a magnum kinetic puller that fits the Lapua. I had to pull down some loads I wasn't sure about. It worked great.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

The Lyman is the way to go. I too had the rcbs and had to switch to the Lyman. It works for all calibers so I don't even use my rcbs anymore.

I use the RCBS collet die simply because I needed one and the local shop had the RCBS in stock but not the Hornady. It works nicely, I'm happy with it and I've used it to pull a few hundred pieces of loaded ammo over the past couple of years.

Up until last Sunday, I had always used an old RCBS kinetic puller, or the Lyman for 338LM.

Sunday afternoon I was cleaning up the reloading area and came across ~250 rounds of various "test" ammo I realized I'm never going to shoot, so I decided I'd pull it all down.

I went and purchased the Hornady collet puller, and damn, that is the ONLY way to do that job. I've ever pulled down 30-40 cartridges with a kinetic puller and it works, but sure is slow and noisy. The collet puller makes the job much, much, much better.

The kinetic puller is good for one-sies and two-sies type work, but if you need to pull down some ammo, you really need the collet puller.

I also agree with using the collet puller. Much faster, quieter, and no mess!!!