• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua effective at 2707 Yards

joediesel81

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
riverside,ca
www.youtube.com
Cool video.
I hope I get to do this next month.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8nlTU8_iK7o&NR=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8nlTU8_iK7o&NR=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: .338 Lapua effective at 2707 Yards

very nicely done production, I appreciate the video editing and hit designations. Shooting and scope setup nice too. Must have more than a 30MOA base for this and then holding over on top of that, I would think.

Joe,
If I were affiliated with desert tacical arms, I wouldn't want this vid on you tube. How fast can you miss a target??
Show a hit or two when you go for it next month.
".285" Hornady?

Just a thought.
Milo

I am surprised at why people who take all the effort to make a fine video like this, don't add a remote range cam to the production.

Given the delay in bullet travel downrange, the video capture, video compression, transmission back to base, and decompression, especially at this distance you can shoot, turn your head to the monitor in a relaxed fashion, take your glasses off, focus on the screen, and in a few seconds the remote hit will come up. I'd say the delay would easily be 3-5 seconds on top of the delay from trigger pull to round hitting the target/dirt.

Money couldn't be an issue?

Milo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe,
If I were affiliated with desert tacical arms, I wouldn't want this vid on you tube. How fast can you miss a target??
".285" Hornady?

Just a thought.
Milo </div></div>

Milo,
I'm not affiliated with dta.If you click on the you tube page its dta video.These guys in the video are probably excellent shooters.I post this video because not everyone that has a "sniper rifle" can hit long range shot's even out to 2700 yards. Not everyone with a .338 rifle can hit a target beyond 2,000+ yards. I enjoy the video because there no other video like it.

I think this video was in response to the controversy over the Brit sniper making a kill at that range. The guys at DTA wanted to show that yes it was possible to get the .338LM to that distance with reasonable accuracy.

Sorry Joe,
Please accept my apology. I thought it was your vid advertising for them.
I wasted 5 min waiting for a hit on a kitchen table sized target. It was far from a success in my book. Most vids posted are of people achieving something out of the ordinary. This video just shows subsonic bullets randomly hitting in a 40 foot radius.
I know exactly how difficult a 2000 yard shot can be, and I'm shooting a 338 snipetac.
Good luck in your ELR journey.
Miles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patriot Prepper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good post Joe.

Past 2k yards is pushing it even for the .338 LM </div></div>

You should do a search for some threads by JL and our Finnish friends out of factory TRG42's with 250 Scenars and lockbases.

max effective range for a 338 is only 1500 yrds OK lets just call it 1760 so anything beyond that is gravy! At 2700 that bullet is dropping like a rock!

And "max effective range" for a .308 is 800M. Yet folks hit well beyond 1K with regularity and with 20" or shorter barrels.

Leave the max effective range stuff for hunting the 4 or 2 legged critters - that's where knock down counts, a little less with humans, we tend to be a "little weaker" when it comes to being shot. We're talking about ringing steel, doesn't take much energy to make steel ring.

As hinted at in my post above: Depending upon elevation the bullet will go transonic somewhere around 1500-1600-ish. That does not mean all projectiles are unstable.

The Finns have tested the 250 Scenar and Lockbase out to 2400 yds out of a factory Sako TRG, long beyond the bullet crossing into transonic range, yet were getting pretty damn good hits with the bullet hitting head on into the target each time.

Wanna put on a catchers mitt and helmet and go downrange?

Is it an optimal cartridge for these conditions? No. But if you want to try, do it safely and go for it.

Good post. I am about to post a video of me hitting a plate 4 times at 2150 yards with my 338 Norma. I put the camera up to my swarovski spotting scope so It looks only about 300 yards away until I pan out. I want to try for 2700 as I am shooting a 300 berger at 2900 fps. I go subsonic(take that with a grain of salt) at a supposed 2200 yards. We will see if I can connect at all with that set up. This is the stuff I live for right here gentlemen
smile.gif

Chase

Shooting past 2000 yards is NOT pushing it with a .338 LM at all if the rifle is built right and using the correct load/bullet with the necessary velocity.
We have sub moa hits out to 2400 plus yards on a rock smaller than a volley ball using the new Berger 300 gr. Hybrid at 2985-3000 fps.
We will be workng on a long range video soon to show the viewers as well that it can be done accurately.
No, this is not the norm but gents with the right system it is done quite often.
Good luck guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting past 2000 yards is NOT pushing it with a .338 LM at all if the rifle is built right and using the correct load/bullet with the necessary velocity.
We have sub moa hits out to 2400 plus yards on a rock smaller than a volley ball using the new Berger 300 gr. Hybrid at 2985-3000 fps.
We will be workng on a long range video soon to show the viewers as well that it can be done accurately.
No, this is not the norm but gents with the right system it is done quite often.
Good luck guys! </div></div>

I would assume that to reach the velocities mentioned here you are talking about 338LM improved?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Sarver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shooting past 2000 yards is NOT pushing it with a .338 LM at all if the rifle is built right and using the correct load/bullet with the necessary velocity.
Good luck guys! </div></div>

Tom, can you give me the specs for your 338LM? pushing the 330 grains Berger at 3000 fps is obviously a "well-tuned" rifle. Factoring in the fact that you are the current world record holder for the 50 BMG, and a well fine tuned rifle, shooting 2400 yards consistently is not easy for most folks. My good friend has a custom build surgeon rifle and he makes frequent hits at 2400 yards target sub-MOA. However, hitting a target at that range (2000 yards and beyond) is not easy on a normal day, but nearly impossible when you have the wind picks up a bit.

DT is that you? Havent seen you in while. Agree with you that the wind can do crazy things at 2000 yards and beyond.

funny how certain people call out how well the shooting in this video is or is not.... that target is not very big at all. this video was shot in Utah (where this video was shot) and the wind blows constantly, but in varying direction and speed... I would say that I wouldn't want any one of them shooting at me from a mile and a half.... there is only a simple, mile-long calculus problem in shooting that far. good post, but it is kinda old news.

Sir,

I hold the world record for a 17lb .30 cal at 1000 yards.
Yes, wind is a factor but yo can reach up and dial it in.
I've made shots like this as well as others with 10 moa wind on the scope at 2000 yards plus and man size targets would get ate up.
Your also correct that none of this is easy but it can be taught and learned as ong as shooters don't defeat themselves before they try or see it done. We have flicks showing more impressive shots than this...and 2400 yards is a walk in the park with a custom .338 LM.

No, it is not a .338 LMIMP..
Specs
94 grains of Retumbo
Berger 300 gr. Hybrid
Kreiger 9.25 twist 28" tube
Jaws Suppressor
Kmw Stock
Surgeon XL single shot
Jewel
.338 Lapua Magnum brass
FED215M
2992 fps average with this load and it is not "very" hot.
Had a sticky bolt with 2 out of 50 shots last weekend and other brass fired had no shiny spots anywhere on the head.

I know "most" .338 LM shooters don't see or get these MV's but I'm not sure why. I've seen MV's from 2750-2800 or 2800-2950 with dozens of .338 LM's that shoot here at TVP. Barrel length and bore tightness and twist is a big factor and the chamber as well.
The .338 LM is a very capable cartridge when put together as a whole package built for precision.
Hope this helps!

Question for you Tom what is your COAL? That is probably the limiting factor in most guns, especially with running repeaters.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DT is that you? Havent seen you in while. Agree with you that the wind can do crazy things at 2000 yards and beyond.
</div></div>

Absolutely Khan

Thats some crazy shooting at that distance!

Aron-

"Tom Sarver
IBS 1000 Yard World Record Holder Group and Score
1.397" Group 50/5x Score
Thunder Valley Precision"

That my friend is the best shooting I have ever heard of. Congrats thats a World Record I dont see being broke anytime soon.

Thanks for the compliment Tac..but the records are just one small part
of my quest for extreme precision accuracy. Most folks don't know it all started out testing a counter sniper cartridge for a "Tactical" rifle/weapons sytem.
When I have the time and I'm serious I put the record breaking loading process to work in my ground rigs. I love shooting, I enjoy helping others and there will always be folks who will sit back and doubt those who actually do this for a living or their existance.
I for sure don't know it all..that's what keeps me going in this game. When I can't learn anymore or help someone I'm done.
Anyone who ever needs help I'm there or have been there. I get dozens of e-mail per day/week and I try to answer all the questions.
I prefer to show shooters what it possible and give them something to look forward to.
I'm a trainer, teacher and more importantly a shooter just like you.
This is the greatest sport ever and SO many of use share the passion.
This site is an example...a passion for what we do and who we are.
There are a lot of folks here on the Hide who are willing to help for those who are willing to listen.
I will have some more data for you guys here after I get some mowing in.

Take care

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: milo-2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Joe,
".285" Hornady?

Just a thought.
Milo </div></div>

Milo,
I'm not affiliated with dta.If you click on the you tube page its dta video.These guys in the video are probably excellent shooters.I post this video because not everyone that has a "sniper rifle" can hit long range shot's even out to 2700 yards. Not everyone with a .338 rifle can hit a target beyond 2,000+ yards. I enjoy the video because there no other video like it. </div></div>

Very cool video Thanks for sharing it hits or not . I loved the editing what did you use YT edit features? Thanks again for sharing .

Milo you crack me up with your hits on demand request fkin hilarious Id say your an idiot if I didnt think you were joking with him. Its 2700, thats far Milo cmon man keep it real!

Woodspider,
I sure hope no one took me seriously, and hope I didn't offend anyone, that wasn't my intent.

Actually I'd just got home that night from a ELR shoot and three of us were chunking lead at a mile, with similar results as the vid. And they were shooting another 1000 yards. We had one hit in 40rds, my gun was so hot I just dropped it by the smiths for a setback.
Happy shooting,
Milo