• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Magnum HSM

Bushmaster7

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2002
CONUS
Was just thumbing through the latest Champions Choice 2010 Catalog and saw their fully loaded 338 Lapua Magnum custom ammo (mfg. by HSM with Winchester brass 250 grain HPBT Sierra)selling for $66 per box of 20 or $1,565 per 500 rounds. Seems like a pretty fair price for 338 these days. regards, Dale.

Re: 338 Lapua Magnum HSM

That's good price. Just remember that the 250 SMK is NOT the 250 Scenars. so the performance beyond 1500 yards may not be the same.

I'm selling 338 Lapua ammo for $285 per 100 rounds ($57 per 20). This is with new Hornady brass, Sierra 250 SMK, Federal 215M (match magnum) primer, and Alliant powder. This is match ammo loaded on an Accu-lab to .02 grains consistancy.

That is very reasonable for the reloads in 338 . I just do the same thing on my own trying to keep the prices down
Bill

$285 per 100 rounds is a great price for match grade especially. thanks for letting us know Chad! Do you also load 375 Cheytacs and if so what is the dope on that???

Chad is the best at what he does. Super accurate ammo at better than fair prices. I need some lapua myself but i think there is a couple better options than the HSM stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm selling 338 Lapua ammo for $285 per 100 rounds ($57 per 20). This is with new Hornady brass, Sierra 250 SMK, Federal 215M (match magnum) primer, and Alliant powder. This is match ammo loaded on an Accu-lab to .02 grains consistancy. </div></div>

Chad - can't PM you, you're too popular, but I would like to order 100 rds of the 338LM. Can I order that specially on your website? Should I call it in?
Thanks for the reply, I know you make great stuff. Thanks and take care.

-Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bushmaster7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$285 per 100 rounds is a great price for match grade especially. thanks for letting us know Chad! Do you also load 375 Cheytacs and if so what is the dope on that??? </div></div>

Bush, yes I do 375 and 408 Chey Tac ammo. It depends on which bullet and brass you run on the pricing. It makes a big difference. Send me an email or PM and I'll get you info. Thanks!

did you say winchester brass for the .338lm? when did winchester start making brass for the big 338?. and where do you get it i would like to try it out. ive been shooting some PRVI brass for the .338lm and it seems to be going strong so far and would like to "shop around" some cheaper brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gabriel.338lapua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> did you say winchester brass for the .338lm? when did winchester start making brass for the big 338?. and where do you get it i would like to try it out. ive been shooting some PRVI brass for the .338lm and it seems to be going strong so far and would like to "shop around" some cheaper brass. </div></div>
Hornady brass. You won't find anything cheaper than Prvi, that's as low as it gets!
grin.gif

Chad I am new here, I have looked at your web site and am going to order some reloads from you. thanks for the info. not sure how to pm you yet.

HSM was using Lapua brass until a year or so ago. They are now using HSM headstamps. Not sure who is making the brass for them. It is a little lighter than Laupa brass, a little thinner in the web of the case. I have had no problems with case life though.

As soon as I can free up some money I think I'll be placing an order for some of that 338.

Hate to be negative here and don't want to start a war. But I bought and fired some new loaded HSM 338 Lapua and fired it once. I then lightly reloaded the HSM cases with "mild" load and fired them from my GAP Surgeon/Bartlein, Manners Stock. I was shocked when the mouth of the ejected case split down to the shoulder. I figured it was a fluke and fired the next HSM reload and it split the entire case length. I may have (duh) fired one more reloaded round with the same split case results and that was enough for me. It's been awhile and no I don't have photos, but it's safe to say I will not be reloading HSM ammo. I now reload Lapua brass only with no problems and got some one small hole groups last weekends. Just my experience. Sorry to HSM for this spookiness, but that's what happened to me.

offcant721, that is valid feedback. Thanks for sharing it. Anyone else have the same issues with HSM reloads?? I have not reloaded any so cannot say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a 338 and was going to start using Hornady brass, any info concerning Hornady ammo and brass would be appreciated </div></div>

Have one lot of Hornady brass that is thru it's four loading and working fine. Accuracy at short range is fine in the TRG-42. Will see how it compares to the Lapua brass in a month when it gets out west and can stretch it legs a bit ;-)

The case split would have more to do with the dies and how much you are resizing the neck. Also a split down the entire case lenght could also indicate over-working the brass. I have been using the RCBS GM dies and would give you the bushing size if you wanted. I have 19-20 reloads before the brass gave out (usually at the primer pocket). I saw little difference between the Lapua and HSM brass life. The HSM is harder and both brands should be anealed after a few reloads. Just hate to buy more brass when it costs $2 each (or more).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: offcant721</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I then lightly reloaded the HSM cases with "mild" load </div></div>
What does this mean- lightly reloaded and "mild load"? What load did you use with what bullet?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjohnson1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad, what have you thought of the Hornady Brass so far as far as consistency? </div></div>
So far it looks good. There are a few new pieces that have some creases in the neck or buckles in the shoulder area from production, but that's normal. The necks are very consistant when seating the bullets, and do not need much prep to load. Primer pockets are also very firm.

I use both Lapua and Hornady brass. The H brass is on it's 4th or 5th reloading with no signs of distress. A Lapua case, however, which got a bit stuck in the full length body die, die almost tore apart when I pulled hard on the handle to extract it from the die. That has not happened to any other Lapua brass, but it was interested when that happened.

I heard bad things about HSM 338 LM ammo's brass - The fresh loads. It sounds like problem is worse with re-loads. At one point wasn't HSM sourcing their own brass for 338 LM?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: offcant721</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hate to be negative here and don't want to start a war. But I bought and fired some new loaded HSM 338 Lapua and fired it once. I then lightly reloaded the HSM cases with "mild" load and fired them from my GAP Surgeon/Bartlein, Manners Stock. I was shocked when the mouth of the ejected case split down to the shoulder. I figured it was a fluke and fired the next HSM reload and it split the entire case length. I may have (duh) fired one more reloaded round with the same split case results and that was enough for me. It's been awhile and no I don't have photos, but it's safe to say I will not be reloading HSM ammo. I now reload Lapua brass only with no problems and got some one small hole groups last weekends. Just my experience. Sorry to HSM for this spookiness, but that's what happened to me. </div></div>