• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Lapua Muzzle Brake

gilbh

Private
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2018
I am currently in the process of building a 338 Lapua Magnum and am looking for recommendations for a muzzle brake that will give me good recoil relief and not blow the dirt on the ground as much as possible. Any recommendations will be appreciated THANKS

I put a 419 Sidewinder on my 338 Norma, extremely happy with it.

Is this still relevant? Is the Sidewinder still the top choice?
Well Terminator has an excellent reputation with big boomers.

The sidewinder on my 7 saum is pretty awesome though.

Heathen has 4 and 5 port options now and that could be interesting.

Thanks. The Heathen looks like a solid option, don't see the 4-5 port on their website yet. They advertise less muzzle blast at the shooter, I can get on board with that.

@hucklberry - What brake did you end up going with and how are you liking it? I have a TBAC Ultra but when I’m not using the can I’m not really pleased with the brake and was looking at alternatives. In fairness it’s on a Desert Tech so it’s fairly light in comparison to a dedicated rig.

I have been thinking sidewinder but it there another recommendation?

@hucklberry - What brake did you end up going with and how are you liking it? I have a TBAC Ultra but when I’m not using the can I’m not really pleased with the brake and was looking at alternatives. In fairness it’s on a Desert Tech so it’s fairly light in comparison to a dedicated rig.

If you have time to wait contact Pete from Impact Shooting (South Africa). He’s a top pro shooter in his country and the APW Raptor Muzzle brake is very impressive. They have a 5 port or the Monster version which either should suit you well. I have a 4 port and a 5 port and I’m in the US, took about two weeks to arrive. Good guy to support as he puts out a lot of quality precision Rifle videos on YouTube. I think the exchange rate is in our favor too which makes it even cheaper.

I like the Piercision Muscle Brake - available in self-timing, and in titanium. Mine is steel, self-timing, 5 port.

If you have time to wait contact Pete from Impact Shooting (South Africa). He’s a top pro shooter in his country and the APW Raptor Muzzle brake is very impressive. They have a 5 port or the Monster version which either should suit you well. I have a 4 port and a 5 port and I’m in the US, took about two weeks to arrive. Good guy to support as he puts out a lot of quality precision Rifle videos on YouTube. I think the exchange rate is in our favor too which makes it even cheaper.

On a whim I placed one in the cart, when I checked on shipping cost "Sorry, we do not ship to your area" came up.
BTW - It was listed at 530 Rand which the web says is $38.45 USD and that is a great price.

On a whim I placed one in the cart, when I checked on shipping cost "Sorry, we do not ship to your area" came up.
BTW - It was listed at 530 Rand which the web says is $38.45 USD and that is a great price.
That would be a killer deal, I paid $150 shipped for the 4-port. Try emailing Brad or Pete and see if they’ll ship again. I pre-ordered all of mine when they were first made a year ago but I can’t see them not wanting to ship.

email - [email protected]

When it comes to kicking up dust, flat rectangular brakes tend to mitigate that effect better than cylindrical brakes.

Go sidewinder then get the sidewinder suppressor mount. Sell TBAC mount to recoup some cost.

Thanks for the advice...I think I’ll go sidewinder and that way I can swap back and forth easier...I have the hellfire and swap with a Sandman on my 6.5 and like that setup but wanted to make sure the sidewinder worked well on .338.

Thanks for the advice...I think I’ll go sidewinder and that way I can swap back and forth easier...I have the hellfire and swap with a Sandman on my 6.5 and like that setup but wanted to make sure the sidewinder worked well on .338.

My 338 is about like shooting a hunter weight 260 -7mm08 with the sidewinder

Reactions: Graye2