• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .338 Lapua projectile for hunting big game?

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    I have been told that Lapua .308 155grn Scenars are great rounds for hunting. Does this also apply to Lapua .300grn and 250grn Scenars for .338 Lapua?

The reason I am asking is because the Bergers are long and to get good accuracy out of them if loaded to magazine length.

Thanks.

I wouldnt see why it wouldnt do the job? It will definitely leave a bigger wound track in whatever animal you shoot with it thats for sure. I will give you a report on how the 300 grain berger otms work on hogs in texas as soon as my edge is finished.

You may want to try out some 250gr Accubonds. I have had good results with the Accubonds from 400 to 495 yrds with several drt's on large hogs. Have not tried the Scenars as of yet.

Stephan,
    I recently started using the Cutting Edge hunting bullets, they are devastating on big game. They are definitely a non-conventional bullet but would be worth a look. I've used them in a 375 H&H out to 500 yds on a range, accuracy was good and have taken game at just under 300 yds, every one a drt kill.

Here's a link to the bullets. https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ESP_D225_RAPTOR

Notice the "drive bands" as opposed to the grooves normally seen in a Barnes bullet, this reduces drag in the bbl allowing for more velocity at a lower pressure. They may not group as tightly as a Berger or Scenar but do just fine in a hunting scenario.
    I hope this helps!
    LX

For hunting just about any big game: I've gone to Barnes TSX, and I don't plan to go back. No lead, easy to find, not outrageously expensive, plenty of calibers, as accurate as any other production hunting bullet.

I have used the Berger 300gr OTM and been very pleased. However, I used the 225gr Cutting Edge Bullet this past season on a Kansas Whitetail and really liked it. It will be going with me to the Yukon in Sept so I will try to remember and let you know how it performs up there. I don't have any doubts it will work awesome. IT is going 3078fps and .64 shoots really accurate.

I'm up here in Fairbanks AK, plan on using it for Griz, and Moose unless I can get my bow in there.
    I have used the Berger 300gr OTM and been very pleased. However, I used the 225gr Cutting Edge Bullet this past season on a Kansas Whitetail and really liked it. It will be going with me to the Yukon in Sept so I will try to remember and let you know how it performs up there. I don't have any doubts it will work awesome. IT is going 3078fps and .64 shoots really accurate.

I have had great luck with the 300 SMK's and 250 SMK's, both at close 100yds-740 yds. Bullets in 338 due a lot of damage when they hit!

Didnt have great results with 300 gr lapua on animals with my edge. I just got some 300 gr accubonds I'm looking forward to trying.

If you look on LRH forums guys have used the 250 and 300gr Berger OTM bullets with success. I plan to use either a 250 or 300gr OTM on Caribou this year. And if I can get a Bear tag for over in the Larsen Bay area of Kodiak I would be confident in using the 300gr OTM.