• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .338 lapua receiver

becherc

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2011
Middle of Wisconsin
Hey I am looking at building .338 lapua and was wondering if I could get any suggestions on a good receiver and barrel combination. I just built a .308 and used a Remington 700 action and I like it a lot but after doing some research a lot of people think it wouldn't be strong enough to deal with the thrust of a .338 round if anyone has any suggestions or opinions on this I would like to hear them

Re: .338 lapua receiver

Call Defiance and ask about their .338 actions. Their products are great and I think you will be very saticfied.

Defiance: (406) 756-2727

Stiller or surgeon if your gonna order a stock from mcmillan or manners but if you want to stuff it into a aics or rem clone stock go with a defiance or barker machine actin as they are a 700 clone just alot tighter tollerances and a much stronger action than just a 700.

I dont know what the other manufacturers make, but do not put a 338 lapua on a remington size action with the .700 bolt and 1.06 tenon. Get the bigger actions made for the job. Our 338 will fit an AI chassis with just an additional cut for the lug .465 ahead of the other one. The smaller size actions are not going to get it done in the long run. The factory guys that are doing it are getting setback and tenon expansion on them. The customs with the same size wont be any better.

I've got a Pierce repeater. It's nice. It's also a 1.062-18 vs a 1.062-16 tennon. Theoretically, that finer thread pitch gets you another whopping .012" material to hold all that pressure on a .338 Lapua. I guess that's fine if you're not hotrodding the round. If you're not pushing it then what's the point?

Get the right tool for the job.

Have a Stiller TAC338 and it has been flawless.

defiance makes a great action with a longer tennon and a .750 bolt aswell. the advantage of the defiance is they can be used with a Seekins DBM and you can get a manners stock inleted for the Defiance and seekkins combo we are building 4 at the moment
1 338 Lapua, 2 338-378Wby's and 1 338 Lapua Improved.

Jerry i wish your Tac 338 would be available with an inlet for the longer Seekins Detachable Bottom metal bet have been told by your workers that they are to long for your action?

You may also look at the CZ 550 its rather massive.I have always been impressed with CZ actions if you like Mauser.

Hi PAR the CZ550 is no where in the league for an accurate long range rifle. if this was for a big game rifle the CZ would work with the 338 Lapua.