• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors .338 lapua sub sonic rounds

Intrepid4576

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2011
Honesdale, PA, USA
Does anyone have any experience using them with a suppressor on your rifle? I have a SAS can just waiting on the paperwork and i was thinking to try some of Cor-Bons subsonic 338 rounds threw it

Ive read a bit about the dangers of sub sonic loading and thats why im concerned

So is this ammo safe to use? especially with a suppressor on the end....my barrel is a 26 in one too if thats of any importance

Re: .338 lapua sub sonic rounds

I have shot some of the Corbon subsonic thru my rifle and it does fine.
It's actually best if you can load your own and tailor it to the rifle. The sub loads will all fire a little different from rifle/can combo to the other.

The lack of good subsonic loads for 338 Lapua Mag is discouraging so I thought I'd share my test load I tried today. Here is a 5 rd group at a hundred yards with 22 MPH crosswinds. The wind doesn't seem to bother 300 Gr. SMK's at 100 yds, even subsonic. The load was 21.5 Grains TrailBoss loaded .005 off the lands. It fills the case right at the 70% rule and produces around 1060-1070 FPS. I was pretty happy with this load.
e9fax5.jpg

I forgot to mention, this was through a 16" 8 twist kreiger in a DTA covert suppressed with a AAC Titan QD. If your worried about hurting your suppressor just fire a few rounds without the can at close distance 10-20 yards and make sure the bullets are not keyholing. If your holes are perfectly round you'll be fine. Slap on the can and have fun.

how much elevation are you dialing from supersonic to subs at 100yds?

I would think there would be too much unused case capacity with even trailboss, risking detonation. Just a first thought without anything backing it up. I shoot a subsonic cartridge pushing 300gr SMK's and it has maybe 1/3-1/5 the case capacity.

Is Corbon's ammo safe to use. No. They are selling it so it blows up your gun so they can buy you a new one and sue them.....

I'm going to say you will most likely get better suppression results with a 9mm suppressor and those subs though. Optimized for gas pressures and projectile speeds and all that.

At our rifle club we have to shoot under baffles since its in the middle of town and my cor-bon sub sonics only went about 70-80 yards before hitting the ground. I couldnt aim any higher for the risk of hitting the baffles which is a no no. PG

I'll have to get some Trail Boss and try this in a .338 Win Mag.

You mention 70% load density. How close is that to the "fill the case to the bottom of the bullet" loading?

Mine is a 1/10" so it may or may not stabalize.

Worth a try, for sure...

BJ,
I actually did the math and I'm right at 69-70% full with my seating depth. Should be safe and shoots real nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At our rifle club we have to shoot under baffles since its in the middle of town and my cor-bon sub sonics only went about 70-80 yards before hitting the ground. I couldnt aim any higher for the risk of hitting the baffles which is a no no. PG</div></div>

?????

I don't understand this statement.

thanks for all the replies -

"Is Corbon's ammo safe to use. No. They are selling it so it blows up your gun so they can buy you a new one and sue them....."

there is a reason i posted that i have a 26in barrel and what can ill be using with it. i did not know if the barrel was too long and the bullet would get stuck

its just a question

obviously im new to this or i would not have to ask

when dealing with these kind of things im not about to just throw caution to the wind and not research first.....please dont be mean

Don't sweat Bachelor Jack. Anybody that peddles crap like this "Surprise Cock Fag ejection port covers!!!" can't be taken seriously.
whistle.gif

Intrepid4576
I don't have feelings. You shouldn't either. Projectiles get stuck when guys are working up loads and start way too slow. The proper way to work up sub loads is to start fast and work down to a slower speed. I personally know of cases where guys stuck projectiles working subsonic loads by the way they sounded. They weren't even using a chronograph. Factory loaded sub loads will be fine regardless of barrel length or suppressor used. If anything the longer barrel will just increase velocity making them faster. Rounds get stuck when they are going 500fps or less and most factory loaded round are pushing 900fps+.

bigsky23
And I don't know how I feel about barely 70% case capacity. What do your ES and SD look like? Are your rounds really powder position sensitive?

And those ejection port covers are almost as sweet as the movie they reference....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for all the replies -

"Is Corbon's ammo safe to use. No. They are selling it so it blows up your gun so they can buy you a new one and sue them....."

there is a reason i posted that i have a 26in barrel and what can ill be using with it. i did not know if the barrel was too long and the bullet would get stuck

its just a question

obviously im new to this or i would not have to ask

when dealing with these kind of things im not about to just throw caution to the wind and not research first.....please dont be mean
</div></div>

You could always give Corbon a call.

There was a recent poster who seemed to imply trailboss powder left significant fouling residue and also peened the crown of his barrel.

That kind of post would have be thinking that due to the gigantic case capacity of .338LM, it may be best to CNC machine cases like liberty was doing in .308, or to do something like the did in Vietnam, and actually epoxy fill the cases and drill smaller powder cavities in order to get proper fill in the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Intrepid4576
I don't have feelings. You shouldn't either. Projectiles get stuck when guys are working up loads and start way too slow. The proper way to work up sub loads is to start fast and work down to a slower speed. I personally know of cases where guys stuck projectiles working subsonic loads by the way they sounded. They weren't even using a chronograph. Factory loaded sub loads will be fine regardless of barrel length or suppressor used. If anything the longer barrel will just increase velocity making them faster. Rounds get stuck when they are going 500fps or less and most factory loaded round are pushing 900fps+.

bigsky23
And I don't know how I feel about barely 70% case capacity. What do your ES and SD look like? Are your rounds really powder position sensitive?

And those ejection port covers are almost as sweet as the movie they reference.... </div></div>

Thanks - that makes alot of sence in regards to starting high and working down - I feel that i understand this properly now thank you
smile.gif

I would say the only exception to what Jack said are subsonic .223. I have seen more than one maker produce .223 subsonics that have stopped in barrel. The issue is development between gas guns and bolt actions. Sub .223 are just about the power .22ls.

I personally never fire any factory subsonic through a gas gun until I chrony with the can OFF.

Griff, a close reading of that thread will suggested to me that it was his following up with HV rounds that did the supposed cutting, not the TB. I've got quite a bit of TB through and no indication of what he found.

Bachelor Jack,

What movie, Team America?

I refered to the seating depth only in regards to filled case capacity and not to powder position sensitivity.

The ES was 34 FPS or 3.2% and the SD was right at 1062+-22 FPS or 2.1%. I sort the cases by weight and use a satoriuos scale for my sub loads so it keeps the SD fairly tight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Intrepid4576

bigsky23

And those ejection port covers are almost as sweet as the movie they reference....</div></div>

Interesting reading from EBR site, direct copy paste:
Subsonics Do Not Like Long Barrels!

We just had another customer ask about subsonic use, etc. Thought I'd share some info. This Arkansas cop was having trouble with his gun and our ammo. Turns out it was the same phenomenon we discussed years ago with Al about the first shot being much slower due to the cold steel soaking up energy. His gun/EBR ammo chrono'ed about 650 on the first shot, then in the high 900's to mid 1000's on all succeeding shots.

I noticed his barrel was WAY long, and I think this exacerbates the problem, so we're having it cut by a competent 'smith (Jared Joplin of Patriot Arms http://www.patriotarmsinc.com / 706-367-8881) and rethreaded to 20" at his request.

Pretty sure this will cure the problem from the testing evidence; I'll let you know. If not, I just bought another barrel. :^)

FOLLOW-UP:

Got the customer's gun back, shortened to 20". The very first round from the same box of EBR PBS's chronographed at 1046 ft./sec. with no warming shots fired. Mean Average for the 5-shot group was 1021 ft./sec. - PERFECT!

The moral of this story is that if you intend to shoot subsonic .308 Rifle ammunition in your platform, it is best to not only rebarrel the gun to put a better tube on it, but to also have it cut to no longer than 20". For those who think this ruins the Long Range capability of the weapon, I say "HOGWASH". We regularly shoot to 900 yards with the 16" Wraith with excellent results on calm days. It has been proven beyond the shadow of the slightest doubt that a short, stiff tube is more accurate than a long whippy one, *especially* if you put a weight (suppresser) out on the end of it.

While we're on this subject, I do not consider the .308/7.62mm to be better than a 750-yd. weapon IN REAL LIFE. Yes we shoot them much further, but if there is any wind at all...especially if it is gusty...the results get real "iffy". If you need more than the 750-800 yards, it's Time to consider the .338 Lapua or Mr. Fifty so as to be able to buck the wind.

-Whit-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mirador</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting reading from EBR site, direct copy paste:
Subsonics Do Not Like Long Barrels!

We just had another customer ask about subsonic use, etc. Thought I'd share some info. This Arkansas cop was having trouble with his gun and our ammo. Turns out it was the same phenomenon we discussed years ago with Al about the first shot being much slower due to the cold steel soaking up energy. His gun/EBR ammo chrono'ed about 650 on the first shot, then in the high 900's to mid 1000's on all succeeding shots.

I noticed his barrel was WAY long, and I think this exacerbates the problem, so we're having it cut by a competent 'smith (Jared Joplin of Patriot Arms http://www.patriotarmsinc.com / 706-367-8881) and rethreaded to 20" at his request.

Pretty sure this will cure the problem from the testing evidence; I'll let you know. If not, I just bought another barrel. :^)

FOLLOW-UP:

Got the customer's gun back, shortened to 20". The very first round from the same box of EBR PBS's chronographed at 1046 ft./sec. with no warming shots fired. Mean Average for the 5-shot group was 1021 ft./sec. - PERFECT!

The moral of this story is that if you intend to shoot subsonic .308 Rifle ammunition in your platform, it is best to not only rebarrel the gun to put a better tube on it, but to also have it cut to no longer than 20". For those who think this ruins the Long Range capability of the weapon, I say "HOGWASH". We regularly shoot to 900 yards with the 16" Wraith with excellent results on calm days. It has been proven beyond the shadow of the slightest doubt that a short, stiff tube is more accurate than a long whippy one, *especially* if you put a weight (suppresser) out on the end of it.

While we're on this subject, I do not consider the .308/7.62mm to be better than a 750-yd. weapon IN REAL LIFE. Yes we shoot them much further, but if there is any wind at all...especially if it is gusty...the results get real "iffy". If you need more than the 750-800 yards, it's Time to consider the .338 Lapua or Mr. Fifty so as to be able to buck the wind.

-Whit- </div></div>

wow thanks Whit thats very informative - was he using a 26in barrel? I seen you said it was really long but i was just curious the exact length...

thanks!