• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

338 LAPUA Vs. 6.5 CreedMoore Which one!!!!!!!!!

Longrangehuntersofalberta

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2012
Canada
hey there I am a hunter/Reloader and have been shooting for several years, i am at a turning point which one do i build ? A 338 LM badass motherfucker or a 6.5 light weight cheaper to reload both would be full custom builds! looking for something different i have a 300 win mag 10' group at 1620 Hunting and long range target are the uses. Just looking for some convienceing ether or thanks guys. Ive shot a 338 LM out to 1300 yards but ive never shot a 6.5.

two very different rifles. what are you looking to do? if its long range hunting, then the 338. if its long range matches then the 6.5 would be better. if its just for fun, well that up to you. it depends on a lot of factors that you have not listed.

Or maybe start by getting a clue first...then move on to a choice of weapons.

No contest. 6.5 Creed will do everything at a much lower cost of ammo for you. Have multicaliber weapons, but the 6.5 mm 260 Rem fits most of my needs and easy to reload. If you hunt, you may want to go with a 7 mm flavor!

Man, this is the easiest "which-one-should-I-choose" thread that I can remember! 6.5 Creedmoor, hands down and going away. Don't buy a 338 unless you have a mountain of cash, because unless you're shooting beyond 1200 yards consistently (and accurately), you don't need that much gun. Trust me, your shoulder and wallet will thank you for taking the 6.5. Once you get good enough to where you shoot better than the 6.5Creed will, then get a 338 if you want (but I doubt you'll see the need). 338s are badass, but terribly impractical.

Reactions: scruffy818
I have a .338LM and am building a 6.5 Creedmoor. I say you need both. The .338 was my first real long range rifle. Can it be expensive to shoot? Yes but if done right it does not cost that much more. Your initial investment will cost more. But I have reduced the cost of reloading to about a buck a round. Could do it for less but I use Berger 300gr bullets. That's the greatest cost. On average you will only get 70-75 rounds out of a pound of powder. So you will want to have a few pounds on hand if you plan to reload. If you don't expect to pay 100-120 dollars per 20 rounds. One fun thing about shooting the 338 is not much hits steel harder and splash off steel or misses are easier to spot down range than a 6.5. One downside to it is if your shooting with other people they might not like you after you put a few rounds down range. Get a suppressor you'll have more friends. Some ranges have restrictions and might not allow a .338 LM. Also if you plan to shoot any matches very few will let you use a .338LM.

My .338 is by far my favorite gun.

I have both cartridges and if your gonna be hunting at distance then I'd get the 338, but on a side note I would really look into the 300 Norma which in my opinion is a better cartridge. It will do just about everything a 338 will do with less recoil and inside a mile I believe will out preform the 338

Just my 2 cents

Thanks
David

My big gun is my favorite flavor of the month, but I have to make an effort to shoot it. The 6.5,7 &7.62 are all more 'practical' and see much more use for hunting, plinking, and precision shooting. The big guns are fun but just not very practical for me.

I agree with David. I've got the 338 Norma mag and if I were to do it again I'd do a 300 Norma mag or bump it up to a 338 snipetac.
xdeano

I have both cartridges and if your gonna be hunting at distance then I'd get the 338, but on a side note I would really look into the 300 Norma which in my opinion is a better cartridge. It will do just about everything a 338 will do with less recoil and inside a mile I believe will out preform the 338

Just my 2 cents

Thanks
David

Get a DesertTech SRS and you have the option of both with a quick barrel swap.

Home page - Desert Tactical Arms

This is what I have, with the 338LM, and 6.5 Creedmoor conversions. It takes less than 2 minutes to switch calibers in the field. It's a accurate and versatile setup. ;)

To chime in on the OP's question, These are very different calibers, obviously. If you don't have a place to shoot 1200+ yards, then the choice is easy. Your 300wm is a large powerful caliber that will cover you to 1200 yards and more. Shooting long range is a lot of fun. We shoot the 338LM at 1000-1760 yards. And it does meet your "different" criteria. A lot of range won't let you shoot this caliber, so make sure you have places to shoot the 338LM.

On the other hand, the 6.5CM, is a versatile caliber. You can shoot 100r-142gr, and it is accurate. It is a good caliber if you decide to shoot matches, and does a great job of target shooting out to 1100 yards. It is low recoil, factory ammo is pretty accurate. It is a great all-around caliber.

So, if you want a long range thumper, get the 338LM. If you want a versatile caliber that you can use for a variety of purposes, get the 6.5CM

Last edited:
6.5 Creedmoor all the way, it is what I shoot in PRS matches and I was able to put 3 of 5 shots on a 24" target at 1300 yards with a 30 MPH 90* cross wind at a match early this year.

I would say if you are wanting more gun that that and still stay pretty practical, go with a 6.5 SAUM or a 7 SAUM if you plan on hunting with it.

If you are hunting animals 6.5CM , if you are hunting people and or equipment 338LM .
Tactical Match 6.5 CM .

Will you be taking shots past 1200 regularly??? Do you need the horse power the 338 has to punch through something??? Do you plan to take shots on game past 700 yards and practice all year long to stay proficient to take such shots??? Is your wallet thick???

if yes to the above, get the LaPuA... On the other hand, if the answer is no get the CrEeDmOoRe

thanks guys i have shot deer out to 700 yards just looking for something different that isnt another 300win mag I'll have to take a good look at a 300 norma though

If that was aimed at me... Sorry, that was my attempt at a little humor. I have zero experience with either the 338 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmoor. Rather I run a couple 260's (and a few others on the short and long actions) and since my pocket book isn't deep enough nor my 1000 yard range long enough, the 338 has little appeal to me. The 260's have treated me well and IMO are a perfect fit for hunting anything in North America at distances I am comfortable with shooting right now. As such the 6.5cm would be also. To me the 338 Lapua is an entirely different class of firearm.

Last edited:
For the OP...

Hunting ANY animal smaller then a Elk with a .338L is a major Overkill (no pun intended)
The energy from a 338L would create some much Hydrostatic shock, most of your meat would be bloodshot.

6.5 CM is your more practical choice, I would also strongly recommend .260 Rem. Shooting 700-1200yrd with my .260 is stupid easy, almost boring...

Sorry but it not that way. A 30 06 will destroy just as fast as the 338 will. The 338 is the best deer killing round I have ever used. Is it over kill? maybe but dead is dead. Yes I know he never said anything about the 06 but it was to make a point. Also stop ass shooting them. ;-)

For the OP...

Hunting ANY animal smaller then a Elk with a .338L is a major Overkill (no pun intended)
The energy from a 338L would create some much Hydrostatic shock, most of your meat would be bloodshot.

6.5 CM is your more practical choice, I would also strongly recommend .260 Rem. Shooting 700-1200yrd with my .260 is stupid easy, almost boring...

Or maybe start by getting a clue first...then move on to a choice of weapons.

What a fucking douche.

Now, To the op. I have a 3 safes full of rifles but my gap 338 lapua is my favorite. It is completely impractical unless you can shoot past 1,000. I can reload for around a buck a piece. So, if you can afford to shoot $1 rounds as much as you want without feeling you need to limit yourself because of cost, the 338 is awesome!! The barrel will go for "maybe" 2,000 rounds on the 338. If cost will be an issue, the Creedmore is kick ass.

To me, it comes down to your pocketbook. I like to shoot the hell out of my guns so I would hate to be limited by ammo cost. If you don't plan on reloading for the 338, forget it!!

In all seriousness dude, those 2 are night and day from each other. The creedmoor will be easier on you all around. If you're looking for more fun, go with the creedmoor. If your going for further range than the win mag, bypass the lapua. Go with a bigger round. Start looking at the cheytac rounds. Ifextremerange is what you're after, you won't be disappointed.

Since you reload I'd also look into the 6.5 saum, I've shot mine out to 1600 and it did very well, but I'd still look into the 300 Norma with 230's, here what the 230' did to a deer I shot this past hunting season at 610 yards

10ddw2h.jpg