• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lapua

matt_allen

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2012
I got a question for you more experienced long range hunters. If you were gonna set up a 338 lapua that you wanted to shoot out to a mile. Yet still be in that 12-15 pound range so if you needed you could carry it a decent ways. What would your components be?

I think I have the exact rifle you're talking about. It's a Manners T4A 90% carbon fiber, fluted MTU, Templar action and Badger CIP metal. Connected at mile but it's almost as light as my match gun.

A TRG 42 is 11 3/4#s. Mine with scope, rings, base, mag., and factory brake is a touch over 14#s. The scope is 30+ ounces so you could easily go lighter. They're hard to beat for reliability and accuracy.

I think a savage 110 FCP will do you well, they weigh in around 11lbs and have a 1:9 twist for the big 300gr pills. I think, with optics you should be around 13lbs.

If you'd want a versatile combination that would allow you shoot a variety of cartridges with varying barrel lengths, consider an SRS Covert. I know a couple guys now who shoot 18" .300WM and .338LM barrels while hunting bigger game and switch out to 6.5mm for lighter game. One guy also shoots FT/R with a 30" .308WIN barrel - all from the same rifle.

Will this be a hunting rifle? Carried much and shot Less frequently? If so then look into a thinner profile barrel to save some weight.