• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 length actions , just a quick poll

deepsix++

regular guy
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2017
California
I'm looking around right now at all the actions that are made for .338 lm based cartridges . there of course is a even split between purpose built rifles like the MRAD and AI AX rifles that take double stack 10 round mags and all the custom actions like the badger , impact , Batt , Defiance that only accept AICS mags . for any one with a traditional custom action do you wish you had 10 round magazines ? and not those single stack cereal boxes , those are a joke . are the 5 round mags annoying to you or just ok

I shoot a AI-AX and can't remember the last time I used a mag. I single feed when I shoot at either at matches or at the range.

does AI even make a single stack 10rd in 338 cip? That’s got to be a rare & expensive bird if they do? Not to say that anything 338LM is inexpensive.

does AI even make a single stack 10rd in 338 cip? That’s got to be a rare & expensive bird if they do? Not to say that anything 338LM is inexpensive.
I have seen the 10 rounders for 300 win I just assumed they made one for the 338

I used a 5 with mine. Never felt the need target shooting or hunting to need a 10 round mag

If your consideration between a action/chassis setup that uses 5 vs 10 round mags has you trying to decide between a custom action or something like an AXSR then I’d decide what I want to spend and what I truly want in the rifle

There’s lots of reasons to go with an AXSR besides what mag it uses. Likewise if there’s things you prefer about a custom, like triggers etc then make the decision based on those preferences

That said an AI double stack kicks the crap out of a AICS single stack. In both size, smoothness of feeding and ability to load the mag in the gun

Reactions: deepsix++ and BCX