• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 LM AI? TRG? Custom build? Pro's/con's

FORESTBARBER

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I have searched but can't find this kind of discussion. Point me there if has been beat to death, please.

I want a .338lm. I have shot a rem pss in .338lm and like it. I have a very nice Chandler M40 I like, as well as an AR50. I have had an M82 Barrett.

I prefer shooting the .338 to .50bmg.

I am setting up a 1000 yd range on my property, and shoot at 600yds now.

I have not shot an AI or a Sako TRG.

The name brand of AI and the TRG appeals to me as the "tactical/military" side of weapons. I am also kind of impulsive and don't want to wait on a custom rifle, not to mention having to do all the research on who is the ultimate 'smith etc.

I have the $$ to buy the AI or whatever, but don't want to be ridiculous.

I have a nice optic, PR 5-25, ordered for this rifle that should be in in late June.

Would the AI or TRG have better/easier resale value than a name brand custom build?

Also, an AI dealer, Tac Pro is about 60 miles from me. I can arrange for a half day of shooting their AI's and see if they are a good fit.

I have read such great comments about the TRG's trigger. How does it compare to AI's?

I guess I have not really asked a question, but do you folks have any insights re off the shelf vs custom .338lm's?

Thanks,

Forest

Re: .338 LM AI? TRG? Custom build? Pro's/con's

If I were you I would just go talk to Bill Davidson and get the AWM.

As a TRG-22 owner, I would recommend going with the TRG. You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable stock, better trigger, better shooting stick anywhere, built by anyone. Also, if you do sell it later on, it will be worth as much or more than you paid for it. Plus, you could have one delivered to you by the end of the week instead of sweating all the details of deciding on a build and waiting for parts, etc!

I would just get a custom build and get something you truly love, instead of settling for something because you want it now.

Take it from me. Just received my GAP build and am beyond happy.

But thats just me.

GG

Davison will sell you on the AWSM, and he will be right.

Most people get wrapped around the axle about stupid shit anyway.

If you really want a custom rifle, get an AWSM and have GAP make a barrel for you.

Glad I don't have to make that decision. Both are great rifles, but I would probably choose the AI. The triggers on the AI are adjustable and they are very nice. The 2.0 folding chassis on the AI is also a nice feature for storage, cleaning, or transport.

I would go custom and to exactly the specs you want

They are two very different feels when you are behind them. You need to get behind the AI and see if the thumbhole is for you. They are both robust systems. I have a TRG-22, and that is mostly because I could never get comfortable behind the AI. I moved from a Mcmillan A-5 and feel just as comfortable. The TRG accessories are pricey, but the AI is more to begin with. They both hold residual value very well and are highly sought after. All you need to know is they are both military grade weapons and are extremely durable and accurate.

YOU need to shoot them and decide for yourself. Chances are you are close to someone who has a TRG-42.

Josh

Zak's article covers quite a bit of it.

Another factor to consider is that the AI can swap skins out within five minutes. You can paint a set, leave a set "normal", and have a "beater" set. Plenty of factory and aftermarket accessories are available
wink.gif
and they hold their value extremely well.

Honestly, at the end of the day you can't go wrong by buying one of each.
smile.gif

Do yourself a favor and call Alex Roy at Euro Optics. He has a lot of TRGs in stock and will make you a very good deal. I went to see him for some NF glass recently and ended up purchasing a TRG because I couldn't afford to leave it on the shelf!

i went custom for my 338LM Improved, but it can't shoot out of a magazine, at least not one designed for 338. Here she is on the left, next to the 7WSM and 284 Winchester. On the right is a piece of new 338LM brass and a blow-out case to my improved ramer design
IMG_1153cropedmed.jpg

Jeffvn

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASU1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Davison will sell you on the AWSM, and he will be right.

Most people get wrapped around the axle about stupid shit anyway.

If you really want a custom rifle, get an AWSM and have GAP make a barrel for you. </div></div>

Exactly what he said.

This is what I did... with a my .308. The GAP barrel ( or APA among others)made the rifle all it could be.

Now I feel like I have a the toughness of the AW and the style and accuracy of custom all in one rifle.

DTA SRS is a multi-caliber rifle with field-changeable barrels, reviewed here. Here's the main DT SRS thread. It used to cost $6.7K for two calibers such as 338LM and 308 (DTA is still finalizing their new prices).

I think you can have SRS in one caliber for about $4K (something like $3860 for 308 or 243, $4180 for 338LM) - check DTA Web site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Echo 5 Zulu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why Not Consider HS HTR? </div></div>
My reasons would be - because
<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*] I don't need another dedicated 308 Win rifle but would want to add 338LM; [*] I can't afford a dedicated good scope for every caliber I want to shoot - so a multi-caliber rifle seems to be the answer;[*] I'd rather deal with a shorter package but not at the expense of the barrel length - which means bullpup design...[/list]
grin.gif

I shot both a AI and a TRG before I decided and I liked the TRG better. I have friends that shot both and went with the AI. Its reallya a matter of personal choice and what fits you best. You really should try and shoot both before making a decision, you will be happier in the long run. I love my TRG22, its more comfortable than any custom Rem I have shot, it just fits me very well and the trigger is impressive too.

CJG

I would take a custom gun because I know it will fit me.

By buying a AI or a TRG (both are excellent weapons) you have to know what you are paying for and if you need it. They are accurate and reliable. You can remove scope and barrel, link the parts with a rope behind your car, drive to your range, mount everything and you will have a hit on the target. But do you really need that?

If you don't want to wait for a custom, try to shoot AI and TRG and buy the one that you prefer "holding in your hands". You will be happy with both rifles.

Chili

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why is it that the only .338LM AI rifles I'm seeing are $7000+ ?? Where are these $5k rifles?</div></div>

Base rifle MSRP for an AW in .338 Lapua is $6,580.

When you start adding all the goodies on, it tends bump it up into the $7k range.

$5k is pretty unlikely unless you get crazy good deal from a friend.

You can't go wrong with either AI or TRG. After shooting both I decided on a TRG 22.

For another twist to the story...

I built a 338/378 Weatherby in a Remington action.
It will do about 100-200 more fps with the same bullets as a lapua with at least equal accuracy.

I do like me some TRG though, nice boomsticks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GunGuru727</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would just get a custom build and get something you truly love, instead of settling for something because you want it now.

Take it from me. Just received my GAP build and am beyond happy.

But thats just me.

GG </div></div>

I'm just the opposite. I have 2 gap builds and they are great, but wish I would have gone AI or DTA SRS.

On Sunday, I shot (for the first time) my new AI AW in 308, with and without a can; a AW in 260 w/can; and a TRG-22 in 308 w/o can. For my personal preference the AIs were far superior to the TRG. The action cycled better, the mass was more "appropriate," and the stocks far superior. I realize a lot of this is personal preference but I was really amazed at how much I preferred the AIs over the TRG.

I find it to be the complete opposite. The TRG is the more comfortable stock to me.

I don't think any of the rifles listed here are "far superior" to any of the others. These are all state of the art, precision rifles designed to be used under the most severe conditions of the modern battlefield. I will say the AI actions are "beefier" and if I was getting thrown out of a plane in the dark I would take an AI. But as a TRG-42 owner, I'm telling you that you can't go wrong with the Sako and you can buy a lot of ammo to shoot with the price difference.

SFT

AI or TRG. Both are actual sniper rifles in european countries, and both are awesome. I think we all agree before you buy one or the other, shoot both and then make your decision, because it seams about split what people prefer, but usually people really like one over the other.