• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lm brass sticking in chamber

Private
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2014
Klamath falls Oregon
Sorry to bother anybody but I've got a problem that's kicking my ass. I was shooting my 338lm last week and after about a dozen shots started to have my brass stick in the chamber. A lite tap with a cleaning rod easily cleared the brass from the chamber.

No signs of over pressure, except for stuck cases. No blown or flat primers, no obvious case issues, other then stuck brass. This brass is once fired brass some high speed Brits shot at a training in the San Fran area, hosted yearly by Alameda County Sheriffs Office.

The rifle was recently re-barreled by GAP, so I'm certain the work was done right.

I did pull two bullets and recheck the powder weight. Both were exactly what I loaded. The measurement was done on an RCBS 1500 digital auto scale.

FYI the load is 92.4 g of VV-n165, pushing a match king 250g. Federal match primer. The brass is European but it is not Lapua.

Also using a Wilson case gauge, all the casings fix smoothly and are not over length.

Any idea's

anytime you take brass fired from another rifle there is that chance. Gap is going to have a tight custom chamber so brass from a production gun is going to probably fit very tight. Id try some new brass.

anytime you take brass fired from another rifle there is that chance. Gap is going to have a tight custom chamber so brass from a production gun is going to probably fit very tight. Id try some new brass.

+1

What body sizing die are you using? I had a run of once fired Federal brass for my 300 WM that I was having the same issue. I use Redding type s match die set but the body die didn't size some cases right for my AI. I got the Lee dies and the body die seem to be slightly smaller so now they all eject. But one note I did drill out the neck sizing portion so it wouldn't size the neck. It was sizing to small give to much neck tension.

This. Invest in some new brass.

Thank you for the responses. I'm full sizing the brass, in a standard RCBS set. What I'm not grasping is why does the loaded bullet load like butter, and after the shot expand to a point that requires a slight tap to extract the casings. I've also got some new Hornady338LM brass loaded up now. I'll give it a go in the morning. Thank you for your assistance.