• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Norma Improved (AI)

jburns42

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2023
California
I currently have a .338 Norma Magnum. I have thought about AI it at some point but can’t find much on it. Does anyone have catridge and chamber dimensions or prints so I can punch some numbers?

I currently have a .338 Norma Magnum. I have thought about AI it at some point but can’t find much on it. Does anyone have catridge and chamber dimensions or prints so I can punch some numbers?
I think once you get into the 338 improved cartridges then it being a norma or lapua to start with stops making much of a difference. There are at least a dozen versions out there that essentially achieve the same thing. So many in fact that you better commit to buying a reamer and having a full length custom die made cause it is hard to find ones that match with confidence.

One massive shortcut I can tell you, and it addresses the reason that many people waive off on the AI LM is the case forming. You can just full length size 33xc brass down and trim the neck. No need to fire form and all that crap. You may need to turn the neck depending on your chamber but that is still a hell of a lot faster than fire forming.

-Alex

I agree there is so many options out there you will need to get a custom die for a good match to the chamber.
I believe Alex Wheeler had done an improved version, He could probably set you up with a Chamber job and matching dies.

Reactions: wildcats
I was going to say Alex Wheeler is the guy to contact for any of 300/338 NM imp versions.
He also can set you up with the dies and you might be able to talk him into fire formed brass if he builds your rifle

Last edited: