• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Norma Mag build finished!

mudvayne

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Washington TX
I just know you fellers dont want to see the latest horse in the stable
smile.gif
Picked up my 338 NM from the smith two days ago and my goodness is she a big ol gal! Just my type of rifle too..

Here are the specs on it:
Stiller Tac 338 LH action
Timney straight post target trigger
Vais muzzle break as the bolt knob
Schneider 9 twist custom contour finished at 30"
Fat bastard muzzle break
Mcmillan A5 with sniper fill spacer system and internal adj cheek piece
Badger bottom metal with AI det mags
Stiller 40 MOA base with Near 20moa Alpha rings
Leupold MK4 16x

closeup.jpg

Im running 91.5 gr of H1000 with 300 Berger VLD's. Not even kidding she is getting 2875 FPS!!! I can dial from 100 yards to 2725 with this set up. And yes I absolutely will shoot it till I run out of dope. I already broke the barrel in and it is one holing at 100 yards...

300gen2hybrids.jpg

Went out to my 1200 yard range on the side of my property and was confirming velocity to the Gen 1 BC. Dead on. First round hits from 300 to 1200 yards. It knocked over one of my plates so all you gents who shoot a 338 of any sort know the awesome powere these rifles have! I will put more pics up soon. I love this rifle and caliber. Just in time for my long range mule deer hunt this weekend!

Re: 338 Norma Mag build finished!

SWEET. I see it's mag fed. How close are you to the lands when at mag length?

Very nice setup, my next build it's definitely going to be a 338NM.

Nice shooting rifle! I've got 2 338NM and they shoot great. I harvested a really nice Brown Bear last month with one.

Myself and a couple of friends that have 338NM have had really good luck with the Berger 300gr hybrids with Vit N570 powder. Getting 2800fps out of a 26 inch tube.

I would definately have been pissed off and demanded my money back if I recieved my new rifle and that damn smith put the bolt on the wrong side
smile.gif

Looking forward to further range reports. I guess the main reason of putting the MK4 16x on top is to have plenty of elevation travel to be able to really stretch it out...How far are you planning to push it?

Thanks guys. She is smooth.

Animal can you pm me your load with n570?

@sako 75- I put on my original post I will be shooting out to 2725 yards.

Whats the breach dia of the barrel? 1.250 or 1.3?
Also what twist are you running?

N570 should give you a bit more in a 30 inch barrel than your getting now. Its been a very accurate powder for me in the 338s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudvayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh btw she weighs in at 24 lbs </div></div>
Damn....she is a big girl.

Nice looking gun!
Did JBJ build it for you?

Very nice set up with impressive velocity, should keep you busy for a while. Do you happen to have a pic of a loaded round.

@CA48 I will take a pic of a 300 Berger at mag length next to a sierra at mag length next to a 338 lapua with a 300 Berger all next to a 50 bmg necked to 458 and an improved shoulder.

@vkc- thanks brother. I got this color for terrain purposes and it turned out pretty cool too. It's 50% coyote tan, 25 od green, and 25 grey

N11B- I dont and never have even tried tabacco bro! my gunsmith sent me that picture! at any given time he is dipping and smoking a cigar at the same time haha!

Holdthatcow- I have a Shark Jaws coming in for this piggy! It should be here in a month or so.

Gents I got a 1980 yard first round hit with this bad boy on saturday. And followed it up with another hit the next shot. I was almost doing cartwheels haha!

I am going to try for a 2300 yard shot on wednesday..hope the wind isnt too brutal. if my spotter can make it we will video through the swarovski spotter and Ill post the video

Alrighty fellers Im taking this big girl to 2000 yards on wednesday. I would video but I left my camera at my dads this weekend so he could download the video from the competition this weekend. Over thanksgiving I should get some good video out to 2500. I will mount the camera behind my swarovski spotting scope and zoom right on in on it.. Wish me luck gentleman!

Good luck.. Did you know the bolt handle is on the wrong side..LOL..LOL

Matt I went today and got about 10 feet in the gate and nearly barried my truck!! It will be at least a week before that property is Drivable again.

Hadnt heard that one before Thunderbolt
wink.gif

Thanks Casey. I am dying to go stretch it to 2000+ again. Its been a few months but the weather is killing me here! We got nearly 3 inches of rain the other day and there is standing water everywhere right now still. I am going to my dads for thanksgiving and there is a spot to shoot out to 2700 yards with hills and everything so that will be good!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudvayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just know you fellers dont want to see the latest horse in the stable
smile.gif
Picked up my 338 NM from the smith two days ago and my goodness is she a big ol gal! Just my type of rifle too..

Here are the specs on it:
Stiller Tac 338 LH action
Timney straight post target trigger
Vais muzzle break as the bolt knob
Schneider 9 twist custom contour finished at 30"
Fat bastard muzzle break
Mcmillan A5 with sniper fill spacer system and internal adj cheek piece
Badger bottom metal with AI det mags
Stiller 40 MOA base with Near 20moa Alpha rings
Leupold MK4 16x

closeup.jpg

Im running 91.5 gr of H1000 with 300 Berger VLD's. Not even kidding she is getting 2875 FPS!!! I can dial from 100 yards to 2725 with this set up. And yes I absolutely will shoot it till I run out of dope. I already broke the barrel in and it is one holing at 100 yards...

300gen2hybrids.jpg

Went out to my 1200 yard range on the side of my property and was confirming velocity to the Gen 1 BC. Dead on. First round hits from 300 to 1200 yards. It knocked over one of my plates so all you gents who shoot a 338 of any sort know the awesome powere these rifles have! I will put more pics up soon. I love this rifle and caliber. Just in time for my long range mule deer hunt this weekend! </div></div>

Very nice.

Alrighty gents,

this is the first blood with the 338. Cull buck in my high fence.

He was 280 yards facing the right. I broke the shot and he spun 180 degrees before landing. Here is the exit wound. I have pretty large hands and you could easily fit a baseball into the exit wound. I think I will go for a head shot or two on the doe culling trip and see if I cant take a head clean off.

338wound.jpg

Very nice rifle, and I like the caliber, but the head shot idea is just plain stupid.

Whats wrong with head shots on does? I do it...I dont plan on eating the head

Yes animal it is the 300 gr berger!

Jazz I kill between 50 and 200 doe every year for my brothers cloning company. Just about all are head shots inside 250 yards. Past that i go to a high shoulder shot. They all seem to drop regardless of where they are hit. I respect your opinion but I will keep doing my thing brother.

dang, more inspiration to make a 338 norma my next build. trying to make myself just wait til i shoot out by lapua barrel. but its tempting to make one into a more compact package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mudvayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes animal it is the 300 gr berger!

Jazz I kill between 50 and 200 doe every year for my brothers cloning company. Just about all are head shots inside 250 yards. Past that i go to a high shoulder shot. They all seem to drop regardless of where they are hit. I respect your opinion but I will keep doing my thing brother. </div></div>
Never seen it myself, but have heard of guys taking headshots, shooting off a jaw, and not recovering the animal, which ends up starving to death. I don't plan on taking any headshots myself, but respect your right to hunt as you like.

What's the barrel life difference between a 338lm and 338NM? Interested in a 338 build.

I talked to a buddy in the AMU and they have a few rifles with north of 4000 rounds and holding 1/2 still. I am at only 400 so I have a ways to go yet!

Great shooting and beautiful looking rifle, that will be next for me once I get my 300 norma completed.

Sweat looking rifle looks like the dear is tenderized a nuff