• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 norma mag build

npatterson

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2011
Hi there im in the process of building my 338 norma mag and was wanting some info on a good mount for this build the spuhr scope mounts iv heard a little on but would like some others opinons my intentions are to reach the 2000 to 2500 mark and was also wanting to put the nightforce angle indicator on the picitary rail as well as well as some good powders to try when completed. thanks NJP

Re: 338 norma mag build

Depending on the amount of travel you have in your scope, you'll want a 45 - 55 moa base with any quality rings. Murphy Precision can whip you up a base in whatever cant you want for whatever action you have. Do a little reading for the best powder for the NM. Guys are having luck with H1000, Retumbo and N570.

i've been working with Norma this past week, and for some "odd" reason she likes every powder and charge i throw @ her... and after retumbo, h1000, n570, and rl-22, i decided to keep her spiced up with 86.5 of 22, may be on the hot side, but the web is only seein about 3.5-4 thou expansion max, primers are fine, easy bolt lift, and i'm getting 300gr otm's 2900fps, elr hd video, in the works, once i can put down my coyote stick and slow the killin, i'll post it up.

Keep us up to date as your project progresses.

I heard the same thing from Jimmy Sloan the developer. He said you almost had to work at it to find a powder it didn't like; Preston at Surgeon said something very similar.

3.5-4.0 thou is a fair amount for web expansion; be interesting to see how long the brass lasts. Question - Is that in the extractor slot or at the base of the web?

I look forward to toasting my current lot of 338LM brass so I can convert to 338 Norma Mag.

Jeffvn

Ive ran mine out to 2520. I have a 40 moa stiller base(stiller action) and I have a near alpha mount that has 20 moa in it. So combine a 60 moa base ring set up with a 140 moa of internal scope adjustments...I can dial from 100 yard zero and crank up to just over 2600 yards and im at 300 ft alt...

I have a question re: barrel life between the 338 Norma Mag and 338 LM. Whic has better barrel life and by how much? Normal loads not juiced. I'm looking into abuild as well, but barrel life is important since both perform similar. Hope you all can help shed some light. Thanks.

One way that help with barrel life would be melonite the barrel. My smith haas ask me do that with my 338 Norma.

Next 338 Norma Improved.

thanks Holdthatcow, good to know. But I wanted to know if the 338 NM had a better barrel life that a 338LM? If so by how much? Trying to pick a caliber and since performance was marginal, wanted to know which barrel lasted longer with normal loads. Can anyone fill me in.....

They will be close to each other in barrel life so, why not just build the one you want? If it were me, I'd do the NM.

The .338 Norma would be my pick. It out ran the the Lapua by a half MOA at 500m and 1500m. I have shot alot of both and the worst .338 Norma I shot was a 3/4MOA gun and that was 8 strings of 5 averaged at 500m. I cannot say the same for 338 lapua. The 4 thousands growth based off what I have been told is starting to push pressure higher than you want to play with.

H110, Ramshot will give you the most temp stability and highest safe velocity and at the ranges you said they will be the most forgiving. R22 gave me the best accuracy at 500m but not the best velocity for the extreme range end. N570 I have not played with enough to say.