• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

,338 Questions

ARNEWB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2008
Longmont Co
Alright,

I have searched for a consensus on some of this, and have found nothing.

1. Brass
Would you choose Captech/Jamison brass or Lapua? I have heard that both are great, and the price is nearly the same (the nod goes to Captech/Jamison to the tune of about $30), just curious if anyone has a preference, and reasons for that preference.

2. Bullets
I am basically planning on getting a small lot of the Berger OTM and the Lapua Scenar to try. I have some Berger 300gr, but I am curious if anyone has a preference, and reasons for that preference on weight and type.

I am using H1000 powder (have it on hand anyway) and FGM215M primers.

All to be shot in a Savage 110FCP and 110BA.

Thanks in advance.

Re: ,338 Questions

Anybody shooting Prvi Partizan brass?

Its a lot more attractively priced.

Not trying to skimp, but the reviews I have see say they are good pieces of brass.

Never mind, bad reports of consistency, stretching, etc.

Back to the question of Lapua or Jamison.

I'm on the same 80 (79 now) Lapua 338LM and 20 (19 now) Norma brass, since early '06. I have 12-13 cycles on some of the Lapua stuff and it still works well.

My nod would go to them, since they basically invented the cartridge.

I like 215Ms and H-1000, but my go to powder with the 250s is H-4831sc, followed closely by VV-165 and VV-170. H-1000 works really well, as does RL-25. Retumbo is another classic for the 300s.

Just search 338LM and you'll find reams of posts on the cartridge and weapons.

Chris

Pardon my ramblings. Hoping as I do the research that someone can use the data I find in the future.

Also still hoping for a suggestion on brass, although I am about to pull the trigger on Lapua and call it a day.

Thus far, for what I have in an 8lb jug of H1000, 1000 FGM215M primers, what Lapua brass would cost including number of reloads, and what 300gr OTM, Scenar, and SMK bullets will run, I can reload them for the following costs:

- 300gr OTM, ~90gr of H1000, Lapua Brass, and FGM215M primers
-- $1.45 each shot if I only get 6 reloads out of the brass
-- $1.21 each shot if I get 12 reloads.

- 300gr Scenar, ~90gr of H1000, Lapua Brass, and FGM215M primers
-- $1.66 each shot if I only get 6 reloads out of the brass
-- $1.42 each shot if I get 12 reloads

- 300gr SMK, ~90gr of H1000, Lapua brass, and FGM215M primers
-- $1.34 each shot if I only get 6 reloads out of the brass
-- $1.10 each shot if I get 12 reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on the same 80 (79 now) Lapua 338LM and 20 (19 now) Norma brass, since early '06. I have 12-13 cycles on some of the Lapua stuff and it still works well.

I like 215Ms and H-1000, but my go to powder with the 250s is H-4831sc, followed closely by VV-165 and VV-170. H-1000 works really well, as does RL-25. Retumbo is another classic for the 300s.

Chris </div></div>

Thanks Chris.

I have been searching and reading. I just haven't found much discussion of the Jamison brass. And then none since the change from Jamison to Captech.

Like I said, I am basically thinking that I will go to Lapua at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARNEWB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm on the same 80 (79 now) Lapua 338LM and 20 (19 now) Norma brass, since early '06. I have 12-13 cycles on some of the Lapua stuff and it still works well.

Chris </div></div>

Thanks Chris.

I have been searching and reading. I just haven't found much discussion of the Jamison brass. And then none since the change from Jamison to Captech.

Like I said, I am basically thinking that I will go to Lapua at this point. </div></div>

Jamison isn't bad brass, but that was back then. Let's face it, this stuff is expensive any way you slice it.

The stuff I run (and have on hand) I got when it was $125/box and I even bought a case of 10 boxes and sold lots of 50 cases with mollied 300gr SMKs on Ebay, back in '07, so my case price was $1537 shipped and I kept a box from that batch, so I'm sitting pretty with 240 new pieces left.

Starting anew, I'd probably still pony up for Lapua, knowing what I know, but everybody's budget is different and we all need to watch our pennies.

Chris

Brass: Lapua and be done.

Bullets: The Scenars have shot the best with my 338LM, both the 250 and 300. I recently picked up some 250gr Lockbases and want to give them a try as well.

Both the 250 and 300 SMKs have shot well though not as good as the Scenars but for the money I run them the most.

I have had good success with the Berger 250 and 300 OTM also but since I have a huge pile of SMKs sitting here I haven't done much with them.

I'm new to reloading the .338 lapua also. One thing I have learned is to just get Lapua brass, no question. I have 215 primers and h1000, retumbo coming my way atm. I'll be using 300gr bergers to start out with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARNEWB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alright,
1. Brass
Would you choose Captech/Jamison brass or Lapua?
</div></div>

Only Jamison brass I've shot in my TRG was loads purchased from Southwest, and half of those split necks on first firing. Staying with Lapua from here on out...