• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 RUM or rechamber to Edge?

ncgardenfreaks

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2012
Winston Salem NC
I have a barrel coming that is chambered in 338 Rum. Guy had it put on his 700 and didnt like the recoil so he had a brake put on it and then didnt like the noise so he went back down to 300 Win. Barrel has 102 rounds through it so Ive been told. Would you think it would be worth the time to rechamber it up to the edge for the added powder capacity. 338 rum brass is shorter at the shoulder and neck so if you full length resized 300 rum brass with a 338 die and then cut to OAL could 300 brass be worked? You guys are alot more experienced than me so I would like to know your opinions.
Thanks.

Re: 338 RUM or rechamber to Edge?

NCGardenFreaks:

The Edge crew post regularily on the Long Range Hunting & Shooting Forum of LongRangeHunter.com (Shawn Carlock) - they are a sponsor of that site. Suggest you post your inquiry there or simply PM Shawn. Also, of course, you can check their site (www.defensiveedge.net) or call (1-208-687-2659). BTW, they also have a somewhat more powerful Edge 338 +P - no info on the site, as yet, so you'll need to ask for more info. And...their die set is intended to accomplish what you noted - see http://www.defensiveedge.net/products/338%20Edge%20dies/338%20edge%20dies.htm

300 rum brass is easier to find for the edge and velocity difference is about 60 fps,both can shoot very well.

I would stay with the .338 rum , I have 2 and they do very good, with both 250 and 300 grain Sierra bullets.